Cameron Sharp from Knox Halls

reddevilfever

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LSMFT @ Jan 26 2007 - 08:40 AM) 826346572[/snapback]

I never knew C-N cost 150,000 to go to school for 4 years. That is almost 40,000 per year and that is more than any school in this state including Vandy.

Actually, when you add tuition, room and board, and fees Vandy is well over $40K per year now. It was right at $40K two years ago when my son was going through the college and scholarship application process. Vandy was one of his finalist, so I am very familiar with the costs of attendence there.

Carson-Newman is just over $30K right now, and when you factor in that college education costs are rising at over 8% per year it would take Cameron's potential scholly award well over the $150K mark.

None the less, you can't put a price tag on a college education. The difference it makes in earning potential over a lifetime can be litterally millions of dollars.

HTV,

Thank you so much for that information. I just never realized Vandy and C-N cost so much to attend.

I have enjoyed watching Cameron play for the past four years and he is a very good player. I don't hink he is a D-1 prospect. I don't think a true D-1 player would be shooting 31% from 3 point range and 61% from the line.

But I do wish him all of the luck in the world at C-N.

I did not start this thread to bash Cameron. I started this threadto prove a point to young high school kids that read this stuff. The point was this... DO NOT LISTEN TO AAU COACHES!!!!! You will look back one day and said geez I wished I had played baseball and football all through high school instead of just basketball (or any other sport). Just goes to show you that "most" not all AAU coaches are looking out for what would be best for themselves and not the player (athlete).

QUOTE(redandblack63 @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:03 AM) 826346812[/snapback]

Although it may have been good advice not to play football in high school at least based on the fact Sharp would have a better opportunity in basketball. I just don't think a coach should ever discourage a young man not to play a particular sport. A problem that Halls and other schools have is the best athletes aren't playing all the sports. One or two good atheletes can make a big difference in High School. IMO a high school athlete should be encouraged to play as many sports as they can. Did it work out for Sharp. Yes! But I bet one day when he is sitting around with his friends he will say I wished I had played football in High School. But on the other hand who knows.

I do have a question. Many D II conferences put restrictions on the number of scholarships they can offer in each sport. If I am not mistaken the SAC is one of those. Would C. N. have enough scholarships to give Sharp a full ride?

The NCAA puts restrictions on the number of full scholarships they can give. I do not think the SAC puts additional restrictions on their members. I am pretty sure the maximum for D II is 8. NAIA is 7. D I does not give partial scholarships. Both D II and NAIA do give partials. Many times they will recruit according to funds available. They will hope to pick up a strong academic student who can earn a partial academic and they will make up the difference. They will also exploit all financial aid for those who can qualify.

Trust me, a player the caliber of Cameron will not be paying a dime out of his own pocket. Carson Newman will make it work for him.

NAIA D1 is 12 full rides and they can split it up.

NAIA D11 is 6 Fulls and they can split is up.

But every school is not funded fully. Most are way under budget.

NCAA D1 is 12 Full Rides.

and Maryville is the highest cost in the state of TN and it is right at 31,000 a year no way is Carson Newman that high.