So now they want to ban "indian" mascots

DBGRAD70

QUOTE(phx1best @ Jan 27 2007 - 04:50 PM) 826348397[/snapback]

ksgovols said:

Frito-Lays- Noone can beat our one-three-one

Funny ideas, but what does that one mean?

Well admittedly, it loses something if you have to translate it, but here goes:

The Lays potato chip slogan is 'noone can eat just one'....or at least it used to be....

'Noone can beat our one-three-one' is a play on words between that slogan and what I assumed anyone posting in a basketball thread would take for granted as a 1-3-1 defensive scheme. Anywho.....maybe I shouldn't have assumed anything.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 27 2007 - 07:37 PM) 826348498[/snapback]

I personally have no stand...however I do think it is as ludicrous for people to get so upset because a school might lose their mascot. These people who are petitioning the commission at least have a moral position for their complaint...some of them might be legitimately offended. I don't really think a schools pride and tradition carries quite the same weight as someone's race. We don't call our teams the Wops,Greasers, Pollocks, Chinks,Spics or the N word but we are perfectly OK with Redskins?

You’re probably just saying that because you aren't effected by it. Why don't you try and put yourself in the school's shoes??? How would you feel if Satan came up from the fiery depths and said that Greeneville has to change their mascot because he was offended by it because you portray him to be green when he isn’t? I bet you, along with practically everybody associated with Greeneville High School, would be in an utter outrage. And I’ll tell you right here for everyone to see, if you come on here and say that it wouldn’t bother you, you are a flat out liar.

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Jan 25 2007 - 07:43 PM) 826346061[/snapback]

Change your mascot to the Cowboy's.....then see what the Indians do.

All this crap is just a bunch of people who don't have any self pride anymore......and they don't do anything productive to be proud of. Just sit around and feel sorry for themselves....GROWUP!!!! GET OVER IT!!!! and for crying outloud....MOVE ON!!! Be proud of your race and culture, whatever it is.

If I was an indian (which I do have a little in the blood line....not much) I would be proud to have my heritage as a mascot name......I would say to you....DON'T TOUCH THAT!!!!! If you do I'm gonna sue you for discrimination or something.

While we're on the subject....How come my race is never used as a mascot? What's up with that?

Your race is never used as a mascot because there is no tribe named MORON, you moron.

Instead of using REDSKINS lets use REDNECK instead..it's seems more suitable to your outlook on this issue.

It's the term Redskin, like Wop, Kike , N.., Dago, It's insulting,.. bottom line

Be a warrior, be a chief, be a snowman, be anything you want as long as the name is a positive reflection on the culture in question, that's ALL that's asked no less and NO more.

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Jan 28 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826349615[/snapback]

Well admittedly, it loses something if you have to translate it, but here goes:

The Lays potato chip slogan is 'noone can eat just one'....or at least it used to be....

'Noone can beat our one-three-one' is a play on words between that slogan and what I assumed anyone posting in a basketball thread would take for granted as a 1-3-1 defensive scheme. Anywho.....maybe I shouldn't have assumed anything.

Ohhh now I get it! haha...yeah, you know what they say about "assuming!"

QUOTE(Rangerbook06 @ Jan 28 2007 - 09:36 PM) 826349688[/snapback]

You’re probably just saying that because you aren't effected by it. Why don't you try and put yourself in the school's shoes??? How would you feel if Satan came up from the fiery depths and said that Greeneville has to change their mascot because he was offended by it because you portray him to be green when he isn’t? I bet you, along with practically everybody associated with Greeneville High School, would be in an utter outrage. And I’ll tell you right here for everyone to see, if you come on here and say that it wouldn’t bother you, you are a flat out liar.

What if I offended SATAN? Do you think I would care? He isn't a constitutionally protected US citizen. I think being HUMAN is necessary before you can claim human rights. Stop making up fairytale scenarios. And besides, I wasn't born and raised in Greeneville...they could change their name to the Big Greene Burley and I don't think I would care. I have been a Cougar and a Bulldog and if they ever complain I think I might just check in for rehab.

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 29 2007 - 07:34 AM) 826349996[/snapback]

What if I offended SATAN? Do you think I would care? He isn't a constitutionally protected US citizen. I think being HUMAN is necessary before you can claim human rights. Stop making up fairytale scenarios. And besides, I wasn't born and raised in Greeneville...they could change their name to the Big Greene Burley and I don't think I would care. I have been a Cougar and a Bulldog and if they ever complain I think I might just check in for rehab.

Good post barb. I agree with what you are saying.

QUOTE(Doyouthink? @ Jan 28 2007 - 09:42 PM) 826349790[/snapback]

Your race is never used as a mascot because there is no tribe named MORON, you moron.

Instead of using REDSKINS lets use REDNECK instead..it's seems more suitable to your outlook on this issue.

It's the term Redskin, like Wop, Kike , N.., Dago, It's insulting,.. bottom line

Be a warrior, be a chief, be a snowman, be anything you want as long as the name is a positive reflection on the culture in question, that's ALL that's asked no less and NO more.

if native americans are worried about their image then they need to clean up their act. get off the government welfare doles...get off the firewater...clean up their personal appearences and get a job. that would do more to changing the image than banning a sports characiture. by the way i am of native american heritage so don't ban me a racist or something. just stating facts.

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Jan 28 2007 - 06:17 PM) 826349550[/snapback]

I do not know. It is somewhat recent - last 10 years I think. I suspect it was painted by students in the Art dept. Perhaps someone else on here knows. Wouldn't it be ironic if it was painted by a native american.

Yeah, it would be! It's beautiful though..whoever did it. One of the best looking wall murals I've ever seen. I'm sure it looks even better in person!

Well yeah. The whole victim mentality is beyond me. Mascots are something that the high schools are proud to represent. The intent never was and never will be a derogatory statement about the school one attends. That's stupid.

You know, I can see where Rebels might be considered offensive to some African Americans. But Rebels typically isn't offensive to those of southern heritage! That's the closest analogy I can make to what the American Indians are after. Indians don't want public school systems to refer to Indians.

It isn't just Redskins either. It's any reference to the American Indian including Warriors, Chiefs, Indians, etc. that they want excluded at around 100 public schools in the state.

QUOTE(unc4life @ Jan 26 2007 - 10:00 AM) 826346700[/snapback]

so this chat was already going on in the football room and the comment was made...if the take out indians/warriors/then what is next the animal rights activists will want bulldogs and pathers and other animals taken out and then it will continue to the pt of just chosing between colors..oh forgot cant use them because of the gang reference so what do they suggest???

The animal rights folks have already started in on this. A couple of years ago when the NCAA started going after the Indian names I saw a report from PETA wanting to get rid of the animal names. It did not get much press and maybe PETA dropped it for now because maybe they realized they would not get any support for such a crazy proposal.

QUOTE(Doyouthink? @ Jan 28 2007 - 09:42 PM) 826349790[/snapback]

Your race is never used as a mascot because there is no tribe named MORON, you moron.("DO YOU THINK?" I MAY HAVE HIT A NERVE.....you must be fairly inteligent because you recognized the fact that I am a moron......I usually am not able to hide that....I wish it was a race. I would like to be included with all the rest you ( I'm not calling all of you morons.....just talking about the mascot thing).)

I would be proud to have my Moron Redreck heritage displayed in sports arena throughout all the land. GIT-R-DUUUUUN!!!!!

QUOTE(topper06 @ Jan 29 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826350325[/snapback]

if native americans are worried about their image then they need to clean up their act. get off the government welfare doles...get off the firewater...clean up their personal appearences and get a job. that would do more to changing the image than banning a sports characiture. by the way i am of native american heritage so don't ban me a racist or something. just stating facts.

Do you really think the disclaimer about your native American heritage makes your statement less racist? Firewater? Thats just about as crude as calling them redskins.And since I am 1/8 Choctaw, I have every right to this statement...You are a moron