Booster Clubs - Getting People to Work!

viking_fan

I am on my soap box today. Just wondering if other schools have the problem of getting people to join the booster clubs, and the even bigger problem of getting people to do anything to help out (fundraisers, concession stands, etc). At our school we have a few really great parents who are there every game cooking food, waiting on people, cleaning concession stand after the game, picking up trash, etc. We are supposed to have a rule, high school parents work concessions at middle school games, middle school parents work at high school games. The problem is it's the same ones who work every game. When they go out trying to find parents to work so they can actually watch their child play, nobody wants to! People need to realize that supporting the team does not just consist of going to games, sitting in the bleachers and cheering for the team. There is a lot of behind-the scenes work that has to be done.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Jan 27 2007 - 11:24 AM) 826348073[/snapback]

I am on my soap box today. Just wondering if other schools have the problem of getting people to join the booster clubs, and the even bigger problem of getting people to do anything to help out (fundraisers, concession stands, etc). At our school we have a few really great parents who are there every game cooking food, waiting on people, cleaning concession stand after the game, picking up trash, etc. We are supposed to have a rule, high school parents work concessions at middle school games, middle school parents work at high school games. The problem is it's the same ones who work every game. When they go out trying to find parents to work so they can actually watch their child play, nobody wants to! People need to realize that supporting the team does not just consist of going to games, sitting in the bleachers and cheering for the team. There is a lot of behind-the scenes work that has to be done.

welcome to the world of booster clubs!!!!!!!!!!!!

it gets worse..........

You probably know who I am viking fan, till this last season, my wife and I did a lot for the program at PC(concession stand, chain gang, helped coach the junior pro for a while, carried equipment to the away games)..ok I gave it away lol. It has always been hard to get folks to help, everyone wants to watch their child play of course, you just have to get a good core of folks and welcome any help you get at all from anyone else..

QUOTE(1AMAN @ Jan 27 2007 - 09:32 PM) 826348720[/snapback]

You probably know who I am viking fan, till this last season, my wife and I did a lot for the program at PC(concession stand, chain gang, helped coach the junior pro for a while, carried equipment to the away games)..ok I gave it away lol. It has always been hard to get folks to help, everyone wants to watch their child play of course, you just have to get a good core of folks and welcome any help you get at all from anyone else..

I know, went thru the same thing with Jr Pro. It's just frustrating. And yes, if you are who I think you are, you and your wife both have definitely done your time.

Maybe some of the ones who don't help will read this and feel guilty!!

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Jan 27 2007 - 11:18 PM) 826348873[/snapback]

I know, went thru the same thing with Jr Pro. It's just frustrating. And yes, if you are who I think you are, you and your wife both have definitely done your time.

Maybe some of the ones who don't help will read this and feel guilty!!

Had a biggun graduate in '06. Joey D

QUOTE(1AMAN @ Jan 28 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826349183[/snapback]

Had a biggun graduate in '06. Joey D

Yep. That's who I thought you were. You and your wife have worked hard for a long time, all thru Jr Pro, middle school & high school. Wish there were a lot more like you. How is Joey doing? Is he still at UNA?

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Jan 28 2007 - 12:09 PM) 826349197[/snapback]

Yep. That's who I thought you were. You and your wife have worked hard for a long time, all thru Jr Pro, middle school & high school. Wish there were a lot more like you. How is Joey doing? Is he still at UNA?

Yeah he's in Florence

I am President of the Lipscomb Booster Club. Some ideas that helped us in the past with your same problems.

1. We hired someone to run all of our concession stands for all sports. He takes a percentage of the total sales.

2. Workers at the Concession Stand during football games. We get local area Churches to work the stand during varsity games on Friday night. A church would get the stand by themselves for one game per season, perhaps two if you run deep at home with playoff games.

3. Some band moms would run the ticket booth at the start of the game. But would have to be ready for the half time show.

If you have any other questions or would like to know how our organization works-please feel free to contact me via email.

QUOTE(vandy1 @ Jan 29 2007 - 02:18 PM) 826350487[/snapback]

I am President of the Lipscomb Booster Club. Some ideas that helped us in the past with your same problems.

1. We hired someone to run all of our concession stands for all sports. He takes a percentage of the total sales.

2. Workers at the Concession Stand during football games. We get local area Churches to work the stand during varsity games on Friday night. A church would get the stand by themselves for one game per season, perhaps two if you run deep at home with playoff games.

3. Some band moms would run the ticket booth at the start of the game. But would have to be ready for the half time show.

If you have any other questions or would like to know how our organization works-please feel free to contact me via email.

I know we paid a few of the HS kids to work at the concession stand the last couple of years, no band so that doesn't help with the ticket booth, but the girls at the HS office usually take care of that. not sure who is on the chain gang now, my work schedule changed so I work Friday nights now. we had a good core come up from the start of the Jr Pro program, the Skeltons, us, the Trulls, Snuffy...but all our kids are gone now

1. We hired someone to run all of our concession stands for all sports. He takes a percentage of the total sales. "

Unfortunately, most of the public schools don't have the funds to hire sombody...the concession stand is a big fundraiser for all of our sports.

During football, other sports' parents take their turns running the stand and get a portion of the proceeds. During basketball, the football parents run it; not sure about baseball, soccer, or the other sports.

It does seem that it's the same parents doing everything, however, it's been my experience (and it is limited!) that there are some parents willing to do whatever is asked, they're just waiting to be asked. It's really frustrating when you offer and offer, but don't get called. Then you get a letter from the boosters complaining that it's the same people doing everything. All they have to do is call and ask.

IMO, sometimes the people leading the boosters are there for the power and want the glory. I'm not saying it's always like that, or it's like that everywhere. Sometimes you gotta ask for help and be specific in the help you need.

The School did not hire the concessionaire. The Booster Club did and he was hired as an independent contractor. Remember there is no salary only a percentage of total sales. The first year of our concessionaire, the revenue from the concession stands nearly doubled that first year alone. Better selection, better quality of products and the place was totally merchandised. It has been a win-win for all parties. It worked for us and by having other groups like area churches work the stands, took so much pressure off the Booster Club.