Booster Clubs - Getting People to Work!

viking_fan

QUOTE(vandy1 @ Jan 30 2007 - 04:38 PM) 826352023[/snapback]

The School did not hire the concessionaire. The Booster Club did and he was hired as an independent contractor. Remember there is no salary only a percentage of total sales. The first year of our concessionaire, the revenue from the concession stands nearly doubled that first year alone. Better selection, better quality of products and the place was totally merchandised. It has been a win-win for all parties. It worked for us and by having other groups like area churches work the stands, took so much pressure off the Booster Club.

That might work for somewhere like Lipscomb, but we are in a small county a long way away from everything. Don't know if that option would be viable for us or not.

Thanks for the info & advice, though. We will check into those things.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(1AMAN @ Jan 30 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826351505[/snapback]

I know we paid a few of the HS kids to work at the concession stand the last couple of years, no band so that doesn't help with the ticket booth, but the girls at the HS office usually take care of that. not sure who is on the chain gang now, my work schedule changed so I work Friday nights now. we had a good core come up from the start of the Jr Pro program, the Skeltons, us, the Trulls, Snuffy...but all our kids are gone now

We still have almost the same chain gang: Bill, Michael, Stevie. I don't think you could take the job away from them. We did end up having to pay some kids the last couple of high school games to work, but I think that's pretty sad. The same 4 or 5 people worked all the middle school games, but just couldn't get very many middle school parents to work hs games. The announcer's wife, who doesn't have any kids in school anymore, worked the last couple of games (for free), and she also got her son & his girlfriend to work one game.

our booster club was responsible for concessions and each parent was given an option. work 2 games (baseball) or pay $20 which went to students who wanted to work. worked out really well. some worked some payed and no one could complain because money went back to players anyhow.

QUOTE(bb4evr @ Jan 30 2007 - 08:43 PM) 826352215[/snapback]

our booster club was responsible for concessions and each parent was given an option. work 2 games (baseball) or pay $20 which went to students who wanted to work. worked out really well. some worked some payed and no one could complain because money went back to players anyhow.

That sounds like a good idea.

QUOTE(Tha Red Dodge @ Jan 30 2007 - 10:32 PM) 826352508[/snapback]

Im telling you, people are just plain lazy and don't want to put the time in to have a good program. It takes more than just the school to have a good program. The community must become involved.

I agree. And we do have good people from the community who work hard. Most of the chain gang do not have kids in school; our announcer doesn't have kids in school; some of our helpers in the concession stand do not have kids that play football. As a matter of fact, seems like we get more help from non-football parents than we do from football parents.

QUOTE(bb4evr @ Jan 30 2007 - 09:43 PM) 826352215[/snapback]

In theory that sounds like a great idea...how many parents actually paid or worked? We still have a bunch of parents who never paid the player's fee for their kid last year. How do you get those parents to follow through?

It really does sound like a good idea.

QUOTE(zonepirate @ Feb 4 2007 - 05:44 PM) 826358397[/snapback]

Anybody have any good ideas on membership drives? What have you done to get them signed up? Anybody have a newsletter they send out? What about team websites that are run by the booster clubs?

Brentwood High School has a good web site that is run/administered by booster club members. They keep everyone informed on wjat's going on. I believe it's brentwoodwootball.com

QUOTE(zonepirate @ Feb 4 2007 - 06:44 PM) 826358397[/snapback]

Anybody have any good ideas on membership drives? What have you done to get them signed up? Anybody have a newsletter they send out? What about team websites that are run by the booster clubs?

I'm a soccer coach, please don't hate me. But our boosters will work football games to help out, but also help us gain some revenue. Maybe asking other sports to pitch in, who are out of season would help some of your problems. I am at a small school, so there is alot of crossover in sports, but we still found enough to work the gate or stand most of the time. We use incentives to motivate our help, i.e. we will help out the other teams to help buy warmups or other "wants" the players have. It works for us, hope this helps.

QUOTE(zonepirate @ Feb 4 2007 - 05:44 PM) 826358397[/snapback]

I have actually been thinking about the website thing, just not sure exactly how to get started. Last year, we offered new members $2 off admission at all home games and a free gift (t-shirt, license plate, car flag, etc.).

Newsletter's not a bad idea either.

QUOTE(viking_fan @ Feb 4 2007 - 11:40 PM) 826358679[/snapback]

I have actually been thinking about the website thing, just not sure exactly how to get started. Last year, we offered new members $2 off admission at all home games and a free gift (t-shirt, license plate, car flag, etc.).

Newsletter's not a bad idea either.

A couple of ideas that seem to work at Gibbs is:

1) Our website http://www.gibbseagles.net

It helps get out the information for both the parents and the community.

2) We have a team picnic for players and their families after practice one night but before school officially starts. Helps to get people together and ready for the season.

3) We charge $40.00 for reserved parking next to the stadium that is available for booster club members first with their membership and everyone else one week before the first home game. Certainly helps with our fundraising effort.

4) Team moms for each grade. Each team mom contacts players parents in their grade about upcoming events and or needs that arrises with the team.

It does get better if you keep people informed as much as possible.

QUOTE(showvol @ Feb 5 2007 - 10:22 AM) 826359057[/snapback]

A couple of ideas that seem to work at Gibbs is:

1) Our website http://www.gibbseagles.net

It helps get out the information for both the parents and the community.

2) We have a team picnic for players and their families after practice one night but before school officially starts. Helps to get people together and ready for the season.

3) We charge $40.00 for reserved parking next to the stadium that is available for booster club members first with their membership and everyone else one week before the first home game. Certainly helps with our fundraising effort.

4) Team moms for each grade. Each team mom contacts players parents in their grade about upcoming events and or needs that arrises with the team.

It does get better if you keep people informed as much as possible.

Nice website . Do you have a newsletter or an email list also? I am a member of a historical society that sends out monthly (minimum) email reminders for meetings and other events. Just wondering if anyone else is having success using this with booster clubs