Oakland in 07

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Feb 10 2007 - 01:56 AM) 826365957[/snapback]

Come on...Why did oakland lose a couple of games last year????

QUOTE(TDCman @ Feb 10 2007 - 06:34 AM) 826365975[/snapback]

Yes, we all like to hear opinions on those type things.

Because their offense couldnt pick it up when the defense needed some help. The defense put Oakland in a position to win pretty much every game except for franklin and riverdale. Im not saying the offense is THE reason, but when you have to rely on your defense to turn it over so you can score points, that should tell you somethin

QUOTE(OaklandGrad @ Feb 10 2007 - 07:01 AM) 826365979[/snapback]

Because their offense couldnt pick it up when the defense needed some help. The defense put Oakland in a position to win pretty much every game except for franklin and riverdale. Im not saying the offense is THE reason, but when you have to rely on your defense to turn it over so you can score points, that should tell you somethin

I have to ask a couple of things at this point.

Did the offense run what was called? And if so who was calling the offense?

The teams you beat the first four games into the season, what was THEIR record at the end of the season?

I ask because I honestly don't know the answers, but before this turns into a Coach bashing or player bashing for that matter they need to be answered FIRST.

Was the blocking schemes too complicated for the O-line to run? For that matter did the players execute the play as it was designed. Were the players STRONG enough to make the play work?

Complicated isn't it? It is NOT easy to be a Coach or a player for that matter. To be sucessful it has to be a blend of the two and it has to be done to the best it can be to be successful.

Prime examples of this can be found every week in successful programs like R'dale and Smyrna at the end of the season. The first game they played R'dale it was typical "The wheels fell off" for Smyrna. The second game they played lights out defense.

Now more importantly did EVERYBODY learn something from last season they do NOT want to repeat? Did they learn what they need to do to make THIS season more successful?

Now back to our regular discussion.

QUOTE(OaklandGrad @ Feb 10 2007 - 07:01 AM) 826365979[/snapback]

That pretty much somes it up. D-fence was great but O was a struggle

QUOTE(Lost Old Dad @ Feb 10 2007 - 04:16 PM) 826366453[/snapback]

I have to ask a couple of things at this point.

Did the offense run what was called? And if so who was calling the offense?

The teams you beat the first four games into the season, what was THEIR record at the end of the season?

I ask because I honestly don't know the answers, but before this turns into a Coach bashing or player bashing for that matter they need to be answered FIRST.

Was the blocking schemes too complicated for the O-line to run? For that matter did the players execute the play as it was designed. Were the players STRONG enough to make the play work?

Complicated isn't it? It is NOT easy to be a Coach or a player for that matter. To be sucessful it has to be a blend of the two and it has to be done to the best it can be to be successful.

Prime examples of this can be found every week in successful programs like R'dale and Smyrna at the end of the season. The first game they played R'dale it was typical "The wheels fell off" for Smyrna. The second game they played lights out defense.

Now more importantly did EVERYBODY learn something from last season they do NOT want to repeat? Did they learn what they need to do to make THIS season more successful?

Now back to our regular discussion.

First of all, Ill let it be known that I am not bashing the coaches or the players, I think we have a fine staff at Oakland on and off the field. With that said, all of Oakland's wins came against mediocre teams at best. Oakland did have some high point totals, but alot of that came from the defense forcing turnovers and giving the offense a short field.

In these wins, even though the offense struggled, it played within itself and didnt turn it over a great deal. However, I think Oakland's problem stems from when they have to pass, alot of the passing plays over the years on this staff have been directed toward one player and if it wasnt there, just throw the ball away. If Oakland just had one legit weapon when they throw the football I could understand, but Oakland had a good bit of weapons at their disposal this year.

One could argue that its the talent (or lack thereof) at the qb position, but I dont buy into that, you dont have to have a talented qb to win ballgames, just one that can lead and run the offense effectively. Coach Ferg is and always has been a major supporter of the zone blocking scheme, which when executed is a pretty successful scheme, but some argue that we just dont have the linemen to run it anymore, which could be true.

Oakland did get better along the way but with this group of seniors, you would think they would have been winning the close games the senior year instead of coming out the short end more often than not. I was a student manager in bball at Oakland, so I understand what the players and coaches go thru, but the simple truth is, with Oakland returning all that experience and having the schedule set up perfectly for a run into the playoffs, Oakland underachieved by missing the playoffs.

QUOTE(2priceless @ Feb 11 2007 - 01:47 PM) 826367358[/snapback]

I am not a fan of zone blocking myself.

I enjoy zone blocking because to me it is simple. Don't let anybody cross your face. If he goes behind you, trust your fellow linemen to pick him up. The problem isn't the blocking, it is the trust that is needed between linemen. You have to trust that the player next to you will get him so that someone can get to the second level. That was our problem, we didn't have any trust and confidence when we played teams like Riverdale and Lebannon who had good defensive tackles.

Oakland ran the power I last season as their base offense. the blocking scheme for that O is probably the toughest to run successfully in HS football. Riverdale on the other hand ran the wing-t witch is not as complex blocking scheme. This is not a bash on riverdale!!! Maybe a toned down scheme would help the confidece of oakland's line

I agree magoo.....simplified blocking could help. We have some really young boys on the line that are expected to step up early. I think it could only be an asset to make it as easy for them as possible. I don't think strength was an issue. Our weight program is a good one, and several of the linemen were over 300 on bench and had great maxes on the other lifts.

Of course, Bacillum, trust is a major issue b/t the line, backs, and the qb as well.

I have a ton of confidence in Oakland's tail backs this year. I think the big three will be Sam Bass, Precious, and McGowan. They are all working hard and they are getting their heads right!!! They might even be running track this spring to help with speed and agility. I think we will see sam less at fullback and more at tailback. Also mcgowan could see an increase in carries as well. However, if Precious is allowed to get in a rhythm he could be devastating to opposing defenses.

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Feb 11 2007 - 11:24 PM) 826368189[/snapback]

I have a ton of confidence in Oakland's tail backs this year. I think the big three will be Sam Bass, Precious, and McGowan. They are all working hard and they are getting their heads right!!! They might even be running track this spring to help with speed and agility. I think we will see sam less at fullback and more at tailback. Also mcgowan could see an increase in carries as well. However, if Precious is allowed to get in a rhythm he could be devastating to opposing defenses.

u talk about mcgowan alot. Kinda how bacillium talks about elrod alot..