Ideal Girls Coach....

phx1best

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fuzby @ Feb 8 2007 - 09:03 PM) 826364348[/snapback]

You amaze me 8675309...I don't think Coach Scroggins has anything to do with what you claim is a mess. Possibly 4 coaches, 4 principals, 4 AD's in the last 11 years has much to do with it. Coffee County girls havent been blessed with the entire combination of basketball talent, athleticism, size, & desire since the '93 state champs. Yes, here & there you had a glimpse but it takes more than 1 player to compete in 8-3A. Crabtree had some hard luck her last season; Benjamin getting hurt & having to face D-1 loaded state champ Shelbyville 4 times. The 5 teams that Scroggins has coached, possibly 3 girls had the desire to play at the next level, & the other ones, all great girls & with fair to decent ability but not enough to break the 3rd-5th place gray zone of the district. The girls don't play AAU, b-ball doesn't rule their lives like it does in more successful programs. Many girls are also multi-sport & play hoops because they like the game. You may not agree at all with this but that is okay. I'm just stating the facts. I would say any of CCHS's past coaches all are teachers of the game & fierce competitors too. Ask me how I know...

Amaze? that's a new one.. Hey that's a good respectful post about your opinion, no offense taken, however, it is also my opinion that good coaches make good players. As much as I disagreed with Coach Donaldsons personality this one thing is the truth, she didn't have many juniors and seniors sitting on the bench with underclassmen getting their court time, reason being, she either made you a player or you would end up quitting. If you have girls with lack of talent. Get them in the gym, morning noon and night, and if they want it, they will learn, if they don't they will go home. As far as being a multisport athlete, I would encourage it. Basketball doesn't have to "rule your life" for you to be good at it. The great Leslie Henley Trussler herself went on to be a four year track star at UT, yet she put it all out there for basketball too. It's all about the athlete. Some girls want to play more than one sport some don't. On the other hand, just playing because you " like the game" doesn't get the job done. That's not what high school teams become successful for. You have to LOVE the game, and have a strong desire to get the job done, even if it takes time and sweat. Doesn't matter if you play one sport or 3. Whatever is in season you have to give it all you have. Do I think that Scroggins is not competitive? OF COURSE NOT. I know for a fact the he is EXTREMELY competitive, but does that make him a good coach? Unfortunately not. That is only one of the many qualities a good coach should have. But at any rate, he is the coach right now, and I cheer on our girls no matter who is on the bench with them.

You amaze me 8675309...I don't think Coach Scroggins has anything to do with what you claim is a mess. Possibly 4 coaches, 4 principals, 4 AD's in the last 11 years has much to do with it. Coffee County girls havent been blessed with the entire combination of basketball talent, athleticism, size, & desire since the '93 state champs. Yes, here & there you had a glimpse but it takes more than 1 player to compete in 8-3A. Crabtree had some hard luck her last season; Benjamin getting hurt & having to face D-1 loaded state champ Shelbyville 4 times. The 5 teams that Scroggins has coached, possibly 3 girls had the desire to play at the next level, & the other ones, all great girls & with fair to decent ability but not enough to break the 3rd-5th place gray zone of the district. The girls don't play AAU, b-ball doesn't rule their lives like it does in more successful programs. Many girls are also multi-sport & play hoops because they like the game. You may not agree at all with this but that is okay. I'm just stating the facts. I would say any of CCHS's past coaches all are teachers of the game & fierce competitors too. Ask me how I know...

I believe their record in 1993 was something like 32-White County.

QUOTE(PTSportsWriter @ Feb 8 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826364480[/snapback]

Rick Insell

Had a powerful HS program.

Has turned MTSU into a winner in no-time

Larry Ricker

Man had his controversy and he was tough....but every former player of his I've ever talked to has nothing but respect for him and he'd do anything for those girls of his at South Greene.

MTSU was already a winner when he got there.

QUOTE(8675309 @ Feb 9 2007 - 08:52 AM) 826364810[/snapback]

Amaze? that's a new one.. Hey that's a good respectful post about your opinion, no offense taken, however, it is also my opinion that good coaches make good players. As much as I disagreed with Coach Donaldsons personality this one thing is the truth, she didn't have many juniors and seniors sitting on the bench with underclassmen getting their court time, reason being, she either made you a player or you would end up quitting. If you have girls with lack of talent. Get them in the gym, morning noon and night, and if they want it, they will learn, if they don't they will go home. As far as being a multisport athlete, I would encourage it. Basketball doesn't have to "rule your life" for you to be good at it. The great Leslie Henley Trussler herself went on to be a four year track star at UT, yet she put it all out there for basketball too. It's all about the athlete. Some girls want to play more than one sport some don't. On the other hand, just playing because you " like the game" doesn't get the job done. That's not what high school teams become successful for. You have to LOVE the game, and have a strong desire to get the job done, even if it takes time and sweat. Doesn't matter if you play one sport or 3. Whatever is in season you have to give it all you have. Do I think that Scroggins is not competitive? OF COURSE NOT. I know for a fact the he is EXTREMELY competitive, but does that make him a good coach? Unfortunately not. That is only one of the many qualities a good coach should have. But at any rate, he is the coach right now, and I cheer on our girls no matter who is on the bench with them.

I understand where you are coming from. It is a lot easier said than done. The desire is not there. You try to get todays high school player into the gym morning , noon, and night & not just CC but just about every high school would have a hard time fielding a team. There are too many other things outside of hoops that the average high school athlete (yes, boys & girls) are too concerned with. many have jobs, transportation issues, classroom issues etc. Old school coaching approaches are going by way of the dinosaur. Parents hardly ever complained to administration about coaching policies in the 70's - 80's. Now every little thing is scrutinized like amount of time practicing, etc. & administrations have been bowing to individual pressures. Coaches don't want to have to be called in to the principal everytime a Momma calls school complaining that daughter is in the gym night & day & still doesn't start. The most successful teams today have God-given talent, size, & a few of those special gym rats. I haven't seen that at CC (any many other Dist. 8-3A schools other than shelbyville) If the players don't enter HS with decent skills & ability, a coach can't use practice time in season working on basic fundamentals (opposite hand, help side, pivots) & still try to put in a game plan in the 1& 1/2 to 2 hour practice time. Oh yeah weights too. Just being a realist. I still support the team 110%.

Yes, most of the girls do play AAU at Coffee County, Mr. Bush has been their coach for many years. He even won a State Championship with one particular group a few years back. (about 5 years ago, I think at Motlow) Having different Principals and Athletic Directors has nothing to do with the won loss record at Coffee County. I have been told the "System" Coach Scroggins brought to CC would soon dominate this district, especially since he now has the girls to run it. His first two years according to some local experts they didn't have the talent to run his "system." I think one local sports expert pedo even pretty much said that on this website. Well, the girls don't seem to be improving, 5th or 6th in the district, so is it the talent or the system? Good coaches adapt their systems to the players they have. Seems like when we supposedly had no talent we were 2nd or 3rd in the district with a much better won loss record. So, I don't know what to think. I applaud all the girls and pull for them each week. But let's not blame the principals, or the athletic director changes, they don't practice with the team, draw up any plays, or other strategies. I wish the girls good luck in the tournament, and hopefully, they can overcome the system.

QUOTE(8675309 @ Feb 9 2007 - 09:03 AM) 826364821[/snapback]

It's true White County did give CC fits in 93, but they got put out in the substate That's just how the chips fell but we sure enjoyed our Banner her in CC...even with the blizzard!!

White Co. made it to the state. They were put out in the 1st round{biggest upset ever]. I would say White Co. gave CC fits. White beat

CC by 31 points 9 days before CC won state. CC may have the banner but lots know who the best in the state was that year.

QUOTE(Treyvols99 @ Feb 9 2007 - 09:43 AM) 826364864[/snapback]

They may have been a winner before he got there, but not to this magnitude. Rick Insell has nobody to argue if he is a good coach or not. His wins and championships speak for themselves.

He's a heck of a recruiter. I'll give him that.

I'm going to base this on coaches I have watched in action, along with coaches whose impact I have seen on players...

Summertown - Probably one of the hardest working teams I have ever watched. Their coach is one of the best 'game coaches' I have seen. He never sits down and communicates with the players the entire game. This would be the coach I would pick as #2 prefence to coach my kid.

Mt. Juliet - Conditioning...you would think this guy was preparing them for the olympics. Not only does he make them better basketball players, he teaches them the importance of fitness, exercise, and over all health. I would bet that these athletes have learned to love endorphines and being physically fit (the best gift any coach can give to a teenager with a life of fast food, alchohol, and other bad habits facing them in college and adult-hood). He is my third pick for best coach!

Ravenwood (Coach Springer) - I've seen how he has raised their JV and Freshman from a team that could not compete with A schools to a true contender in AAA. He also coaches some of the best players in the state in AAU. Many of these girls could play for Elite, Pride, or other high profile travel teams, but enjoy playing for him (and he aint no picnic).

Team Pride - Cliff Coleman, Chris Brown, and Tiffany Woosley - Three of the best coaches to build fundamentals, self esteem, intensity, and 'seeing the court.' College scholarships await the gifted kids that play for this esteemed group.

MLK Women's Basketball Coach - This is a 'magnet' school which is geared toward academics and just so happen to have an incredible men's basketball program. She has not had a winning program, but is constantly teaching fundamentals and the true spirit of the game. She always carries herself with so much class, as do her players. While her players may not go on to basketball scholarships, they walk away with valuable life lessons as should 99% of the girls that choose to participate in high school sports (lwork hard, learn to work as a team, and win/lose with humility, class, and honor). She is the #1 person I would want having an impact on my child both in terms of the game of basketball and the early lessons in the bumpy road of life!