I double-dipped my way to a diploma...

i had the pleasure of attending both private and public schools in the Chattanooga area and graduated from a local public school. transferring was a harsh, eye-opening experience, but one that i would not give away for the world. my private school experience was equally as important and i'm very glad that i was able to see both "worlds" play out in front of me. my time spent in private school was some of the most rewarding times of my life, and i would love to pass that along to my son one day. the public school experience, although a little more rowdy, was a true testament to will power. i skated out of there by the skin of my teeth and sunk to depths i didn't know i could reach. i've always thought that it's the kids that don't care and make some public schools what they are or aren't. it seems the teachers care for the most part and want the children to exceed, even if there time is cut short compared to that of smaller classrooms and what-not in private institutions. the private educational experience is much more personal on all levels and it's obvious that that is what you are paying for. the compassion that surrounds these institutions is of the highest regard and it's due in part to the very nature of the learning ground. private schools are close-knit communities where everyone knows your business, good or bad, and expects you to be on a certain level at a set point in time. public schools on the other hand are almost mandated to push kids thru w/ little or no harrassment or question...the oddest thing though, once these private school graduates enter college (state colleges for the most part) they are greated w/ 95% of kids who just came from public schools and may feel sheltered or closed off. they are what you make of them, public even more so, and it's the private institutions job to take the best, well-rounded individual and ready them for life. private schools make it their business to mold boys into triple threats if you will, a teenager who letters in sports, scores 1200 on his SAT, and receives crowning acheivements on and off the field. can you blame parents for wanting that for their kids? if the money is available, should you even think twice?...other than asking the opinion of your son or daughter? a lot of you complain and point fingers at each other, but what are you really doing? i wouldn't have attended a private school without my father being employed there, too much money, even 11 years ago, but given the oppurtunity, wouldn't you do the same?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son will graduate this year from a small private. He has attended there since Pre-K. We wanted him to be challenged academically. Also, he has had the opportunity to play football, basketball, and baseball. One reason for sending him to a private school was the small school atmosphere. I graduated from a small rural public and I wanted him to have a similar experience.

mphstiger,

Just a couple of questions that I would like to ask you:

1. Have you or anyone in your family ever attended a private school?

2. Have you or anyone in your family ever spent one day (shadowing another student) taking a close look at any private school? This would be getting there in the morning a going to class with another student, following that student to band, athletics, drama, etc... after school is dismissed?

3. It would probably open your eyes to spend a day at the following schools because they are all very different:

McCallie: All boys prep school

CAK: small christian coed school

Father Ryan: catholic coed school

Baylor: large coed prep school

Christian Brothers: All boys Catholic school

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 12 2007 - 10:42 AM) 826368502[/snapback]

mphstiger,

Just a couple of questions that I would like to ask you:

1. Have you or anyone in your family ever attended a private school?

2. Have you or anyone in your family ever spent one day (shadowing another student) taking a close look at any private school? This would be getting there in the morning a going to class with another student, following that student to band, athletics, drama, etc... after school is dismissed?

1. yes

2. yes

and knowing what I know I wouldnt even consider taking my kid out of public and putting them in a private. My kids christian beliefs and educational success is my responsiblity not a private school. The teachers are just as good if not better than privates and as a parent if I'm doing my job they have a good as chance as anyone in getting into whatever college they want.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Feb 12 2007 - 07:49 AM) 826368306[/snapback]

My child is challenged academically in our public school. You dont have to attend a private to have a great education.

You are lucky to be able to send your child to a public school where he is challenged academically. That`s not the case for all public high schools.

But let me get this straight...you don`t like the fact that he is challenged athletically right?

academics = okay

athletics = not okay

QUOTE(VolunteerGeneral @ Feb 12 2007 - 09:48 PM) 826369509[/snapback]

But let me get this straight...you don`t like the fact that he is challenged athletically right?

academics = okay

athletics = not okay

There is a difference when the playing field is not even. Plus how do you know its a he? Whoops I guess you ASSUMED. My kids team can get its brains beat in and I have no problem as long as that team has to play by the same rules as the others. Right now the privates have a whole different set of rules they get to play by.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Feb 12 2007 - 07:49 AM) 826368306[/snapback]

My child is challenged academically in our public school. You dont have to attend a private to have a great education.

This is true. I have a nephew that graduated from the same public high school that I did. He graduated with a 4.0 from Tenn. Tech and is now in his second year of med school at Virginia Tech.

When my son started school, we were living in Kentucky (on the border). We had heard enough about the school to not want to send him there. At that time four teachers at that school were sending their kids to private school.

Private school has been good for my son. He is currently taking 5 AP classes. He will graduate 2nd in his class. Had a 35 on his ACT. And has already been accepted to Vanderbilt.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ Feb 13 2007 - 02:21 AM) 826369752[/snapback]

There is a difference when the playing field is not even. Plus how do you know its a he? Whoops I guess you ASSUMED. My kids team can get its brains beat in and I have no problem as long as that team has to play by the same rules as the others. Right now the privates have a whole different set of rules they get to play by.

Every Private school in DI plays by the exact rules that publics play by, that is the reason they are in DI

QUOTE(KCHSCoach @ Feb 13 2007 - 07:34 AM) 826369838[/snapback]

Every Private school in DI plays by the exact rules that publics play by, that is the reason they are in DI

OH you are so wrong. Tell me why FCS (or any other private) can have kids that attend their school from several different counties. This would include populations from several hundreds of miles, but Mt. Pleasant can only draw kids from probably a 50 mile radius in their zone? Tell me how that is "exact same rules of a public" ?