Hunters Lane's Elite Eight

alillard119

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(alillard119 @ Feb 11 2007 - 10:32 PM) 826367991[/snapback]

This year Hunters Lane will be sending 8 wrestlers to state this year.

103 - Jerron Slaughter

119 - Antonio Lillard

125 - Tony Corley

130 - Reggie Sullivan

135 - Ebi Sikpi

140 - Kerry Dowell

171 - E. J. Smith

285 - Quintin Robinson

yeah i hear that 103 had a tough trip to state

QUOTE(hilltopper @ Feb 11 2007 - 11:30 PM) 826368195[/snapback]

yeah i hear that 103 had a tough trip to state

So tough, had to wrestle one match, lost, got a free trip, but I will guarantee he is not the only person in the state that got a free trip, he truly deserves it, he is a hard worker and will do just fine at state.

Wish you all the best of luck, but don't stink up the joint like we did last year. We took 8 last season, and only 1 won in the first round. I know that won't happen with Kerry or Tony(hopefully), but sending that many doesn't always equate to points. Oh yeah, and Grinder, be on your best behavior at state, they will stick you and your team very quickly down there.

QUOTE(Grinder157 @ Feb 12 2007 - 08:07 AM) 826368331[/snapback]

So tough, had to wrestle one match, lost, got a free trip, but I will guarantee he is not the only person in the state that got a free trip, he truly deserves it, he is a hard worker and will do just fine at state.

Lets not forget the hard work that these gentlemen put into the wrestling season. To even be wrestling at this time of year means they are winners in my book. I want to take a second and remind all of the kids who did not make state this season that you are a winner also because you wrestled in the region tournament. You worked your tail off all season. That also makes you a winner. There is not another sport that requires the dedication and long hours by everyone and only rewards so few... However if you made it to the regional you really made the whole season and you are a winner.

QUOTE(Grinder157 @ Feb 12 2007 - 09:07 AM) 826368331[/snapback]

i doubt he is the only one in the state as well, but he's the only one that i know of and i'm not doubting his work ethic or anything like that i just think it's pathetic that anyone can make it to state without winning a match in the regional.

QUOTE(hilltopper @ Feb 12 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826368456[/snapback]

i doubt he is the only one in the state as well, but he's the only one that i know of and i'm not doubting his work ethic or anything like that i just think it's pathetic that anyone can make it to state without winning a match in the regional.

Not taking anything away from those wrestlers but, that is a little disturbing that their are regions like that.

QUOTE(prothro @ Feb 13 2007 - 11:49 AM) 826370074[/snapback]

Not taking anything away from those wrestlers but, that is a little disturbing that their are regions like that.

The rules are what they are . I wouldn't begrudge a kid a trip to the state who had less than 3 in his bracket at regions or was seeded high enough in a small bracket to get a first round bye and ends up in the quarters without winning a match. I doubt it happens often enough to get too excited about it.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 13 2007 - 12:01 PM) 826370088[/snapback]

The rules are what they are . I wouldn't begrudge a kid a trip to the state who had less than 3 in his bracket at regions or was seeded high enough in a small bracket to get a first round bye and ends up in the quarters without winning a match. I doubt it happens often enough to get too excited about it.

the hunters lane 103 get's sticked in 45 seconds and then getts a by to 3rd place doesnt even win a match and has his ticket stamped to chattanooga.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 13 2007 - 11:01 AM) 826370088[/snapback]

I agree ,its not the wrestlers fault,just wish regions were worked out a bit better.

It takes some pretty serious genetic luck to compete at 103 as a high schooler. There are only a few who are that light weight but are still developed enough to beat state-wide competition. This group is largely composed of the few freshmen who are very experienced in middle school and simply haven't hit a growth spurt and the few upperclassmen who have developed strength and agility without gaining weight. The 103 class will always have a very polarized talent pool, leaving a significant group of kids who don't have much of a shot to place (whether they wrestled into the tournament or not). While the situation may not be as extreme in states with more wrestlers, it likely exists due to factors beyond the popularity of the sport, and as was stated before, it is certainly no reason to diminish the experience of a wrestler's trip to McKenzie Arena.