Baseball Etiquette and Questions for E5

RUBlind!!!

Post questions here for E5 to answer. This guy is the freakin John Madden of baseball. Does he have a book out yet??? I want to buy it! I think this topic will help many of us find the answers we need to have winning seasons. Bring your questions and answers to this page and hopefully Mr E5 will grace us with his baseball knowledge. E5 we love you man!!!!

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E5, thanks for taking my questions and love reading your comments. The question of the 2000's... Baseball pants up to the knee, showing your solid color socks...or pants covering your shoes i.e. Barry Bonds?

My next question... solid socks or stripped? Being a baseball purist, you will probably say stirrups w/ sanitary hose... but these high school kids don't get it, so solid or stripped?

Lastly, rumor has it that you recruit your shortstops by venturing into grocery stores seeking the bagger asking paper or plastic, are they just more athletic or do you develop their talent?

I will sign off and read your reply.

Try to get to both posts with one answer. I am humbled by the question about the book. I cannot take credit. REDSMAN has taught me much as well as ccriders. I have stolen a lot from many of you who respond on CoachT. I just try to help the young coaches with the challenges of high school baseball.

Slyder,

thanks for the kind words. I am a purist! Sanitaries with striped stirrups and high pants. I prefer pinstripes because it makes me look slimmer and taller. I have an elevated bucket with a foot rest for games. I once missed three innings of a game when my legs went to sleep after using a handicapped toilet. My legs went numb because my feet did not touch the ground.

We probably build our teams a little differently than most. We start with the best backup bullpen hindcatcher and go from there. Our recent shortstops could not play dead in a western so we just pitched the opposing hitters to where they never hit it to short or played our "rover" in what we called "half-shortstopsmen" posititoin. I am speaking on this matter at the USSTYBCAAUSFBNAFBABE clinic this weekend.

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 12 2007 - 12:04 PM) 826368621[/snapback]

Try to get to both posts with one answer. I am humbled by the question about the book. I cannot take credit. REDSMAN has taught me much as well as ccriders. I have stolen a lot from many of you who respond on CoachT. I just try to help the young coaches with the challenges of high school baseball.

Slyder,

thanks for the kind words. I am a purist! Sanitaries with striped stirrups and high pants. I prefer pinstripes because it makes me look slimmer and taller. I have an elevated bucket with a foot rest for games. I once missed three innings of a game when my legs went to sleep after using a handicapped toilet. My legs went numb because my feet did not touch the ground.

We probably build our teams a little differently than most. We start with the best backup bullpen hindcatcher and go from there. Our recent shortstops could not play dead in a western so we just pitched the opposing hitters to where they never hit it to short or played our "rover" in what we called "half-shortstopsmen" posititoin. I am speaking on this matter at the USSTYBCAAUSFBNAFBABE clinic this weekend.

Hey E5 I have a name for your book......There is more than one way to throw POO!!!

E5 I have come up with a new defense for my team. Please tell me what you think of it. I admire your insight! Well here it is........You know the theory that it is easier to go forward than backwards???? Well that is what I've based my new defensive scheme upon. I take my outfielders and have them lean on the fense, this way they never get burned. Maybe rob a homer too! As for the infield i use the same theory. I have my 3rd and 1st basemen stand with their heels on the foul line. If they don't have chalk on their heels at the end of an inning they have to run foul polls. Anyways this maximizes their range. Who cares about those out of bounds balls. They are out of bounds anyways so they don't really matter. Why waste time and stress your boys out about cathing those out of bounds balls. My middle infielders have their heels on the edge of the grass facing the outfielders. I know they have their backs to the batters but i have that covered the outfielders will point to where the ball is hit and the infielders will react. They can cover those chip shots this way. The pitcher and hindcather are fine the old way........Well?????? What do you think???? I really want to know your take on this.

"Poo" is a great baseball word. How about "How to throw Poo When you can't hit ...

The idea of not chasing out of bound hits reminds me of two former assistants who had a similar approach. You may know one of them. He always pracitced in tennis shorts and a WMSV mesh-back, foam front with scrambled eggs on the bill hat. We will try the run in defense this afternoon. We are having a innerstate game this afternoon and will try it. For those that don't know baseball lingo, innerstate games are where you divide your squad into two teams and play each other, like within your team kinda game. We have use the line change defense similar to hockey. Every three gappers they hit, we just jump over the fence.

When you put the heels on the chalk, are they in a sprinter's stance, LB stance, Blue Gill Coaching posture, or that stance you take after splintering a fungo while your hitting infield at home?

We do differ in covering the "chip shot" or duck snort type of hit. We have our outfielders and infielders take an extra ball with them and have dive while yelling "mine." The other player simply kicks the ball out of bounds and we sell the catch. We practice this by opening one end of our hitting facility and try to hit funfoes out of the door while listening to "Vodoo Child, Slight Return." Sounds like an odd way to practice, but it works.

QUOTE(E5 @ Feb 12 2007 - 01:27 PM) 826368766[/snapback]

"Poo" is a great baseball word. How about "How to throw Poo When you can't hit ...

The idea of not chasing out of bound hits reminds me of two former assistants who had a similar approach. You may know one of them. He always pracitced in tennis shorts and a WMSV mesh-back, foam front with scrambled eggs on the bill hat. We will try the run in defense this afternoon. We are having a innerstate game this afternoon and will try it. For those that don't know baseball lingo, innerstate games are where you divide your squad into two teams and play each other, like within your team kinda game. We have use the line change defense similar to hockey. Every three gappers they hit, we just jump over the fence.

When you put the heels on the chalk, are they in a sprinter's stance, LB stance, Blue Gill Coaching posture, or that stance you take after splintering a fungo while your hitting infield at home?

We do differ in covering the "chip shot" or duck snort type of hit. We have our outfielders and infielders take an extra ball with them and have dive while yelling "mine." The other player simply kicks the ball out of bounds and we sell the catch. We practice this by opening one end of our hitting facility and try to hit funfoes out of the door while listening to "Vodoo Child, Slight Return." Sounds like an odd way to practice, but it works.

This is Great! I'm going to print this out and use it for today's practice schedule.

I'm sorry I left out the stance part.....That is important! I have all of my players stand in the basketball defensive stance. Hands up!!!! B/c it is easier for them to go down than up! Now as for the 3rd and 1st basemen I have them stand like sprinters with one hand back, glove hand, b/c you never know when they might line one out of bounds down the line right into their glove. So it's just precautionary really. It works sometimes but not often again I really don't care about them out of bounds balls since they don't count much anyways. The do over ball.

(("Poo" is a great baseball word. How about "How to throw Poo When you can't hit ...))

Please check with your local copyright office. "How to throw Poo when you can't hit" is copyrighted under my name. If you continue to commit copyright infringement by using my material on a message board, you will hear from my attorney shortly.

The defense I prefer, which would make the game more interesting to watch, more enjoyable for the players and cause the coach to draw up plays goes like this: The pitcher is on the mound, the other 8 players huddle around 2nd base. As the pitcher starts his wind-up the players break and run patterns to set positions but not necessarily conventional baseball positions. Similiar to a wide reciever in football. This defense eliminates "hitting behind a runner" and "sacrifice bunts" or the "hit 'em where they ain't" philosphy because the batter would become distracted by the movement and the coach could not call an offensive play, because you would not know where or if the defense was playing a particular pitch. A blitz would overwhelm a kid that cannot stay back on the slider!

The problem which this defense is it takes a coach of E5's magnitude to develop the defensive plays and to call them and unfortunately in Middle Tennessee you have to many coaches that can't do anything but write books about throwing poo

QUOTE(Slyder @ Feb 12 2007 - 02:10 PM) 826368856[/snapback]

The defense I prefer, which would make the game more interesting to watch, more enjoyable for the players and cause the coach to draw up plays goes like this: The pitcher is on the mound, the other 8 players huddle around 2nd base. As the pitcher starts his wind-up the players break and run patterns to set positions but not necessarily conventional baseball positions. Similiar to a wide reciever in football. This defense eliminates "hitting behind a runner" and "sacrifice bunts" or the "hit 'em where they ain't" philosphy because the batter would become distracted by the movement and the coach could not call an offensive play, because you would not know where or if the defense was playing a particular pitch. A blitz would overwhelm a kid that cannot stay back on the slider!

The problem which this defense is it takes a coach of E5's magnitude to develop the defensive plays and to call them and unfortunately in Middle Tennessee you have to many coaches that can't do anything but write books about throwing poo

Slyder,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but we have been running that defensive alignment long before it was shown on "Remember The Titans." You are astute to see all the confusion it causes the small ball teams. They have no real options other than put it in play and hope they guess right. We simply call it Circle and swarm. We start on the mound with the old New Orleans Saints "Who Dat" chant and time the delivery and are in position at the pitch. We have about 41 different coverages for bunts and first and third form this circle and swarm formation.

Slyder, I will not argue with you, or anyone else for that matter, on the matter of E5's superiority on strategery (his word not mine). I will, however argue with the statement, "can't do anything but write a book about throwing poo". Listed below are my main points.

1. The art of slinging poo is a delicate one that is rarely taught well, let alone written about.

2. Unless you are new to this forum, you would know that I have spoke at many conferences on many different topics. Here's a few: "Converting your left handed throwing son to righthanded to aid in his hindcatching", "Lefthanded shortstopsmen and thier benifits to a bunt defense", and "How to get a kid how throws like an Iron Mike machine to throw at least one strike"

More to follow...

QUOTE(ccriders25 @ Feb 13 2007 - 08:56 AM) 826369946[/snapback]

Slyder, I will not argue with you, or anyone else for that matter, on the matter of E5's superiority on strategery (his word not mine). I will, however argue with the statement, "can't do anything but write a book about throwing poo". Listed below are my main points.

1. The art of slinging poo is a delicate one that is rarely taught well, let alone written about.

2. Unless you are new to this forum, you would know that I have spoke at many conferences on many different topics. Here's a few: "Converting your left handed throwing son to righthanded to aid in his hindcatching", "Lefthanded shortstopsmen and thier benifits to a bunt defense", and "How to get a kid how throws like an Iron Mike machine to throw at least one strike"

More to follow...

Rider,

I don't want this thread to be shut down. It is the best baseball info on the web, BUT, I feel you have taken some shots at me that are unwarranted.

You forget that I got to the land of the poo throwers before you knew poo.

Most of your topics are topics you and I discussed over breakfast burritos and changing flat tires.

Lets try to respect each other and let bygones be bygones. I will drive to the confernce when you speak on "Choosing the Best Chart Keepers for Dark Dugouts." I will forward my notes from my football speech on using the "Backside Backer to help the Blind Mike Backer."