Coffee County Girls Basketball

ladynred

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fuzby @ Feb 16 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826375358[/snapback]

I can't believe the blinders that ladynred & 8675309 wear. The players have not come in to work on their own except for the following in over 10 years. Individually, Dillon (Bates), Maxwell, Sipe were the hardest workers alone. To just behind them you can add Cotton, C. Carden, Grose, & K. Thompson. The others who have played their hearts out were not blessed with the size & talent that 8-3A throws at a team. And if the girls, no matter how athletic they were, they did not look to go the extra mile that I '93 did. Benjamin was a stud but it was all natural. Throw me in any other player & I will dispute it to the day I die. In no way am I trying to bad mouth any former or current players, they are all great girls who I have been blessed to know. But the desire to improve skills, get stronger etc. without being led by the coach hasn't been there. EVERY ONE of the coaches during the last 10 years has pushed to improve their teams with open gyms, camps, & clinics. Parents were not very receptive if their child was not benefitting (playing time) They look at basketball as more of a chore. Don't tell me its Coach Scroggins either because it was that way from Donaldson through Crabtree, Tipps, & into Scroggins. Cut all of them, you have no program. Keep them and get on & off again results-usually good out of district/region but not too good within the district/region. It is incredible what the community tells these kids & expects of these kids because of they had success from ages 12-14 (in about every sport) Its like Taiwan Little League, most CC players max out by 12-14 years of age. 1 in about every 5 years is a stud, both boys & girls. Most don't aspire to greater athletic feats than just playing in hs. Most don't their improve skills, don't get stronger or much more grow, or don't take in the team concept when they get to hs. Those that due are the one's with the biggest hearts but the least physically blessed. Heart only carries you so far day in & day out against the horses other teams in 8-3A have. Move them to any other district besides 7-AAA, you would see winning records & deeper runs about every year. 5A Football will back me up as should CHS4life & Pedo. Even Pioneer14's reply was pretty good from an outside observer.

PLEASE reply back. I still pull for CC, my best friends in TN all live there & I will forever be indebted to CC for giving me my start. If any of you still think you can dispute my knowledge & role with the teams at CC, then look me up at Independence HS. Until then Go Red Raiders!!!

Coach J

Well said Coach....we miss having you around here! .......And as far as the comments about Leslie Trussler coaching...you can forget about that...NOT happening!

That all seems very well put together, I only have two points in reply to that post.

1: Not all of the players you mentioned even played at the next level, if you contend that by working and shooting on your own makes you better than your teammates it would seem to me that at least of the 7 players you mentioned, all would have played some type of college basketball, that strikes me as quite an oddity. granted extra time makes you better, but why didn't it make all of these girls more talented enough to play at the next level??

2: From Bates to K. Thompson you cover about a ten year span, how is it that you are so confident that only 7 players out of ten years worth of teams went to the gym on their own? Were you with all members of the team at all times for ten years??

I will agree that not a single "whole team" went the extra mile like our 93 girls did.

finally what exactly is it that CC gave you a start in? I'm lost

***Truly I am editing this post because I've decided it pretty much doesn't matter, for the most part we are going to have to agree to disagree, you obviously have a strong opinion about this, and so do I, so let's keep it cool and everything, I enjoyed the discussion, and feel free to reply to the above any way you wish, but I don't want this to turn ugly( like I read over in the Guys forum, thats a shame), I respect everybody's opinion, even if I don't like it. Enjoy watching post season play, thanks for supporting Coffee!

I agree Coach, but you are forgetting one thing! You were loyal to the players and they knew it! Kids aren't stupid, they know who cares about them and who goes the extra mile to help them and motivate them. Both of my girls respected you because of those qualities. Good luck at Independence and I will see you on the golf course this summer!

Well I didn't mean to get everyone so upset. However, I don't want to start reading threads like Warren Co. posts every year, on "how bad will it be this year?" Our girls basketball has always been a staple at Manchester and I for one would like to keep it that way. And as far as the talent level goes, I have been around long enough to know that Westwood and Coffee both have supplied the high school with some excellent talent! If the girls could win at that level then they should be able to win at the high school. Looks like the fundamentals were taught or they wouldn't be able to win there either. I do believe they play pretty much the same teams in their respective districts in middle school that they play in high school. Harris Middle, South, and North in Franklin Co., Fayettville, Tullahoma, Lewisburg, etc. And Lewisburg is either A or AA I believe, and didn't they beat us 2 out of 3 over the past 2 years? I also am pretty sure every one of these cities relies alot on volunteer coaches to coach elementary, and AAU and even some middle schools. So, lets not blame them for everything. The administration needs to take a hard look at what's going on. Until they do it seems we can only wonder and worry.

QUOTE(fuzby @ Feb 16 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826375358[/snapback]I can't believe the blinders that ladynred & 8675309 wear. The players have not come in to work on their own except for the following in over 10 years. Individually, Dillon (Bates), Maxwell, Sipe were the hardest workers alone. To just behind them you can add Cotton, C. Carden, Grose, & K. Thompson. The others who have played their hearts out were not blessed with the size & talent that 8-3A throws at a team. And if the girls, no matter how athletic they were, they did not look to go the extra mile that I '93 did. Benjamin was a stud but it was all natural. Throw me in any other player & I will dispute it to the day I die. In no way am I trying to bad mouth any former or current players, they are all great girls who I have been blessed to know. But the desire to improve skills, get stronger etc. without being led by the coach hasn't been there. EVERY ONE of the coaches during the last 10 years has pushed to improve their teams with open gyms, camps, & clinics. Parents were not very receptive if their child was not benefitting (playing time) They look at basketball as more of a chore. Don't tell me its Coach Scroggins either because it was that way from Donaldson through Crabtree, Tipps, & into Scroggins. Cut all of them, you have no program. Keep them and get on & off again results-usually good out of district/region but not too good within the district/region. It is incredible what the community tells these kids & expects of these kids because of they had success from ages 12-14 (in about every sport) Its like Taiwan Little League, most CC players max out by 12-14 years of age. 1 in about every 5 years is a stud, both boys & girls. Most don't aspire to greater athletic feats than just playing in hs. Most don't their improve skills, don't get stronger or much more grow, or don't take in the team concept when they get to hs. Those that due are the one's with the biggest hearts but the least physically blessed. Heart only carries you so far day in & day out against the horses other teams in 8-3A have. Move them to any other district besides 7-AAA, you would see winning records & deeper runs about every year. 5A Football will back me up as should CHS4life & Pedo. Even Pioneer14's reply was pretty good from an outside observer.

PLEASE reply back. I still pull for CC, my best friends in TN all live there & I will forever be indebted to CC for giving me my start. If any of you still think you can dispute my knowledge & role with the teams at CC, then look me up at Independence HS. Until then Go Red Raiders!!!

Coach J

Everybody listen to Fuzby. He is so smart, makes you wonder why he is STILL an assistant coach? Nobody knows more about C.C. girls B-ball than he does. If you don't believe me, just ask him.

QUOTE(chs4life @ Feb 21 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826382916[/snapback]It's Trussler. She likes to help but she said she's busy with her business and her husband's. She is a great person but does not want to coach, she is enjoying life. Plus she just likes being on the radio with me.(haha)

Let Gomez coach them. He is a Trussler and the original Doc.

QUOTE(chs4life @ Feb 21 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826382916[/snapback]It's Trussler. She likes to help but she said she's busy with her business and her husband's. She is a great person but does not want to coach, she is enjoying life. Plus she just likes being on the radio with me.(haha)

keep her, she's dang good!

hillary maxwell was my favorite...isn't she coaching now?

of course, she won't coach, but she would be a great choice. She took after her dad