• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 16 2007 - 11:39 PM) 826375485[/snapback]

Some first in TN Wrestling

1. 8th grader winning D-I state.

2. Wrestler burying his headgear on the mat.

3. Dad going on the mat after the finals while his son was recovering from a loss.

it wasn't pretty when mccallie pulled the headgear stunt...a lot too much in my opinion.

QUOTE(chattaboogieboy @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:13 AM) 826375678[/snapback]

it wasn't pretty when mccallie pulled the headgear stunt...a lot too much in my opinion.

I agree. I definitely think for an 8th grader this was very brazen, however that type of action is not what H.S. wrestling is all about. Personally, I would've liked to have seen Coach Connell go out and grab him by the ear and lead him off of the mat. I don't know Coach Connell but my guess is that you probably won't see that type of behavior out of the young man again. At least I hope not.

QUOTE(TurkeyBar @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:21 AM) 826375686[/snapback]

I agree. I definitely think for an 8th grader this was very brazen, however that type of action is not what H.S. wrestling is all about. Personally, I would've liked to have seen Coach Connell go out and grab him by the ear and lead him off of the mat. I don't know Coach Connell but my guess is that you probably won't see that type of behavior out of the young man again. At least I hope not.

does his public display of emotion beckon that of the coach? my thought is that it may have been taken care of behind the scenes, but no doubt casting a poor light on a respectable establishment

QUOTE(chattaboogieboy @ Feb 17 2007 - 01:26 AM) 826375693[/snapback]

does his public display of emotion beckon that of the coach? my thought is that it may have been taken care of behind the scenes, but no doubt casting a poor light on a respectable establishment

IMO that was a bit more than a display of emotion, it was an embarrassing scene. I will take into consideration his age but usually when you get to the H.S. level you are taught about things like Unsportsmanlike Conduct and the value of team points as I'm quite certain McCallie teaches this because I have always thought the McCallie wrestlers were very classy individuals. Speaking of which, was there a team point deducted? I did not see it called. I do agree that once that had taken place it should be addressed behind the scenes. Hopefully Mom and Dad gave him a little scolding too.

QUOTE(TurkeyBar @ Feb 17 2007 - 02:07 AM) 826375721[/snapback]

IMO that was a bit more than a display of emotion, it was an embarrassing scene. I will take into consideration his age but usually when you get to the H.S. level you are taught about things like Unsportsmanlike Conduct and the value of team points as I'm quite certain McCallie teaches this because I have always thought the McCallie wrestlers were very classy individuals. Speaking of which, was there a team point deducted? I did not see it called. I do agree that once that had taken place it should be addressed behind the scenes. Hopefully Mom and Dad gave him a little scolding too.

I'm not so sure you understand all the details behind this one. If you have followed the kid and where he's coming from you might be able to understand a little more. Don't blame it on his age, because up until this point, the kid has been the epitome of class dealing with all the crap he's had to put up with this year. It wasn't a cocky showy thing really. The kid was making a point that he was laying all this transferring-from-Baylor stuff to rest. Hence the burying of his old red Baylor headgear...

[ok someone help me out here--i guess i missed the news way up here in cleveland--he starts the school year at baylor--wrestles for them and gets beat out--now this is according to the paper not me--decides he wasn't given a fair shake and transfers to mcallie??--how do you transfer and still wrestle??--but i will say yes it did take a big set of ....--well thats another story-- at least he backed up his claim--he thought he was the best and it looks like he is----at least for this year until the next state tournament

QUOTE(rigger101 @ Feb 16 2007 - 10:39 PM) 826375485[/snapback]

Some first in TN Wrestling

1. 8th grader winning D-I state.

2. Wrestler burying his headgear on the mat.

3. Dad going on the mat after the finals while his son was recovering from a loss.

I would first like to Congratulate Jeremy on winning the Div. I 103lb State Championship. Great Job! Jackie you've got to be PROUD!

The youngest State Champion before 8th grade Jeremy Miller was Jody Chamberlain in 1963 from The School of the Blind.

Competing in the state's third annual championship at Red Bank Junior High, the young Chamberlain at the age of 15 pinned Buddy Parker (East Ridge) in the quarters (2:38), posted a semifinal decision against Red Bank's Sam Moncier – who would win the state's lightest weight title a year later in 1964 – before disposing of his Everett High School opponent in 3:42 with a strong half nelson and chicken wing for that coveted first place medal.

Chamberlain would again claim the state title in 1965 at 112 weight class.

And his state tournament semifinal foe was current McCallie coach Gordon Connell, who would jump three weights the next year to win it all at 132 pounds in 1966. Chamberlain blanked Connell of Brainerd, 4-0, before handily disposing of Red Bank's Billy Land, 12-2, in the finals held at Brainerd High School.