Miss Basketball

vandyfan67

QUOTE(mdtennbasketball @ Feb 20 2007 - 02:59 PM) 826381388[/snapback]If you do not know then you are not qualified to comment. Laken is on a better team, and has supierior surrounding talent. I do know Laken and she is an amazing young lady.

Laken Leonard for Miss Basketball A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not know about Kayci Ferriss, then why comment?

Again, she has less help than Laken, she plays in the toughest district in the state, she gets physically abused night in and night out by double and triple teams, she does make excellent grades, she is an excellent young lady, and she has had to overcome more than any 20 other children I know with her family circumstances.

Furthermore, Kayci has willingly played thru tremendous injury for her teams sake, now that is character.

Fortunately Kayci and Laken are not competing for the same title. As a matter of fact they are great friends and I know they are rooting for each other.

This is not a cumulative award and Kayci's stats alone stand for them self. But as everyone else who does not have the stats to back up their arguments for their canidate they talk about their favorite candidate and their heart and character and their story.

Kayci has the best stats, there is NO doubt, but she also has the best story.

Kayci Ferriss for Miss Basketball AA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE PLEASE LIMIT THEIR COMMENTS TO WHAT THEY KNOW, AND TRY TO KEEP IT POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, This needed to be said and you did a GREAT JOB! Good luck Kayci!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(58Indians22 @ Feb 19 2007 - 06:14 PM) 826379722[/snapback]My vote for AA is Gwen Delk. I have known her for a long time and she is a grest person as well as a great ball player. I have also seen Roney play a few times and I know she is a great player, but she does not get the defense stacked on her like Delk does. I do not see giving it to a freshman, even if she has terriffic stats. Let her get battle tested and see if she has not only a great year, but a great career like these other ladies have. Yes, I know that this award is givin for the year and not the career, but at the ceremony, they give your career stats, not just your years stats. Gwen has led her team to the Dance, getting the silver ball last year and has a great chance of getting the gold ball this year. Delk has played through injuries this year and has proven herself to be a warrior. GO GWEN!!!! GO LADY INDIANS !!!!!

That chance will be ended Thursday night!

In AA, all three are solid players, but the truth is Jana Roney is the most complete player of the three. Delk is a solid post player, and Ferris is an force inside, but Roney can play inside or outside, can play post or point. Having watched her play for three years now, her scoring numbers could be higher, but she chooses to play as part of the team. Her assist numbers are very good, and she has around 1,500 points in her career. She leads a very good team in scoring and rebounding. Jana is a great player, and even better young lady. While all three are good enough to win it, Roney is the most COMPLETE player.

GO LADY REBELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(bendoinitawhile @ Feb 21 2007 - 05:46 PM) 826383295[/snapback]Sorry to inform you,tiger fan,or man,Compton DID NOT outplay Matthews.What game where you watching??Sure, she took cheap shots at her and got away with it, but I do believe Matthews out SCORED her.................................... And why would she be voted by her district coaches as MVP if she weren't deserving??

I dunno you tell me? Seems like LA got handed some awards this year. Yes they had the two first place teams when it came down to it but it isnt all about points. Compton beat her up and down the floor every possesion and got the ball to her teammates as best she could(credit to La's D) but in what you just said you proved my point. Matthews is the point guard. Not the 2 guard. She seemed to shoot too much when she had open players closer to the basket. In the games ive watched, the entire team gets more active and involved when the Taylor girl is running the offense. When Matthews is in the team just stands around and gets the rebounds from her misses.

QUOTE(bendoinitawhile @ Feb 21 2007 - 05:46 PM) 826383295[/snapback]Sorry to inform you,tiger fan,or man,Compton DID NOT outplay Matthews.What game where you watching??Sure, she took cheap shots at her and got away with it, but I do believe Matthews out SCORED her.................................... And why would she be voted by her district coaches as MVP if she weren't deserving??

even if Matthews did score more than Compton its not about individual scoring, its about team scoring and who gets the W at the end of the game....although LA did win this game, Compton deserves this award hands down, she can actually get up and down the court without goin to the concession stand to get some cheese and nachos, unlike Matthews.....

Yeah back to topic, i watched Delk last year and she is a force. I have also seen Ferris and she is very good. It's sad that she got snubbed in the mvp voting for her district for being a freshman. Im sure being a finalist for the best basketball player in the state is much better though. That makes District mvp look like a joke i guess. I havent seen the third finalist but seems like she has a very good chance of winning also.

QUOTE(skyhigh @ Feb 21 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826382600[/snapback]Laken's worked very hard to get to where she is now, just being mentioned for this award is an honor in itself. Good things are in store for Laken and many of her teammates. She is surrounded by some talent and heart with the lady dawgs and I'm sure she's aware of that. Although the award would be nice, a championship would be nicer. I hope she can have both in the near future. Good luck to Laken Leonard of RBS

I hope she can have both too.......thanks for the comment!

Maybe the committee that selected the finalist should have gotten out and watched more games rather than calling around and asking other people what they thought. I found out how this works this year for the first time because I was right in the middle of things. Absolutely no disrespect to the finalists who were selected, but if I am part of a committee in charge of selecting the finalist for such a prestigious award, then I am not going to rely on the words and opinions of others. If you can't get out and watch these players yourself, then maybe you should pass your responsibility on to someone who can devote more time to making sure that the right players are chosen. Am I sour because the kid I felt should be a finalist isn't, you're darn right I am! But when I received a phone call asking me some stats and things like that from a member of the committee, who admittedly hadn't seen my choice play this year, I realized that there are probably some very deserving young ladies who are not done justice due to this process. It really makes the honor less of a big deal. I think some young ladies can motivate themselves by seeking to achieve this award, but I know that I am going to focus much more on State Tournament MVPs rather than this Miss Basketball contest in the future. May the best young lady that has been selected as a finalist win, and I wish you all the best of luck. Just one more thing, the MVP of the district is voted on by the district coaches. How in the world can someone be a finalist for Miss Basketball, top three in the state, and not be the Most Valuable Player in her own district? Sounds like a big time flaw in the system somewhere.