Questions for Bradley C and Christian Bros

Double Trouble

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Gracious, this comes up all the time. This is a copy of the email sent our parents this season about this topic:

This has come up a number of times over the past few years from parents from other schools. I know there was a guy causing a ruckus about it last night. Why do we not shake hands with the opponents coach after a match? There are numerous reasons:

1 – Ronnie Carter, head of TSSAA, suggested to us (the coaches) to stop doing it and that soon it is going to be stopped complete by the NWCA.

2 – Have you ever seen a football player score a touchdown and run over to the sidelines and shake the opposing coach’s hand? Or a baseball player hits a home run and shake the opposing managers hand? Or basketball, lacrosse, golf, soccer, or any other sport? It is absurd.

3 – Have you ever been told by a wrestler from another school after he has lost, “F*** you and your school.”? I have, and other mumbled niceties over 17 years. Why put the kid and the coach in that situation?

4 – What do you say to a kid who just got thumped by one of your kids when he comes over to shake your hand? It is awkward for sure, and it is usually a “dead fish” handshake.

5 – It is completely unsanitary. The kid has been sweating, adjusting himself, wiping his nose and mouth during the match, and then he wants to shake my hand.

6 – Believe it or not, I am many times trying to decide who to wrestle, what the score is (team score) and talking to one of the wrestlers about his upcoming match or talking to a wrestler who previously wrestled about mistakes and I have to stop and shake hands. In what sport in the middle of a game does a coach have to stop coaching to shake hands with the opponent? None.

It sets up situations like this that do not need to occur. It is not the appropriate time or place, in the middle of a match or a game, for handshaking. That is why we line up and shake hands after the match (or game) is over, just like every other sport.

Bob Williams has asked me the same thing over the years. He was with me at the coaches meeting before the tournament in Missouri when the head official made a point to mention to the coaches the handshaking and that it does not need to occur.

We are not unsportsmanlike for not shaking hands during the match, regardless of what some others may think.

I hope this clarifies my position and whether you agree or disagree, I hope you can respect it.

Regards,

Chris Lewis

Christian Brothers High School

5900 Walnut Grove Road

Memphis, TN 38120

phone (901) 261-4962

fax (901) 261-4909

QUOTE(papbear3 @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:21 PM) 826380250[/snapback]Good Gracious, this comes up all the time. This is a copy of the email sent our parents this season about this topic:

This has come up a number of times over the past few years from parents from other schools. I know there was a guy causing a ruckus about it last night. Why do we not shake hands with the opponents coach after a match? There are numerous reasons:

1 – Ronnie Carter, head of TSSAA, suggested to us (the coaches) to stop doing it and that soon it is going to be stopped complete by the NWCA.

2 – Have you ever seen a football player score a touchdown and run over to the sidelines and shake the opposing coach’s hand? Or a baseball player hits a home run and shake the opposing managers hand? Or basketball, lacrosse, golf, soccer, or any other sport? It is absurd.

3 – Have you ever been told by a wrestler from another school after he has lost, “F*** you and your school.”? I have, and other mumbled niceties over 17 years. Why put the kid and the coach in that situation?

4 – What do you say to a kid who just got thumped by one of your kids when he comes over to shake your hand? It is awkward for sure, and it is usually a “dead fish” handshake.

5 – It is completely unsanitary. The kid has been sweating, adjusting himself, wiping his nose and mouth during the match, and then he wants to shake my hand.

6 – Believe it or not, I am many times trying to decide who to wrestle, what the score is (team score) and talking to one of the wrestlers about his upcoming match or talking to a wrestler who previously wrestled about mistakes and I have to stop and shake hands. In what sport in the middle of a game does a coach have to stop coaching to shake hands with the opponent? None.

It sets up situations like this that do not need to occur. It is not the appropriate time or place, in the middle of a match or a game, for handshaking. That is why we line up and shake hands after the match (or game) is over, just like every other sport.

Bob Williams has asked me the same thing over the years. He was with me at the coaches meeting before the tournament in Missouri when the head official made a point to mention to the coaches the handshaking and that it does not need to occur.

We are not unsportsmanlike for not shaking hands during the match, regardless of what some others may think.

I hope this clarifies my position and whether you agree or disagree, I hope you can respect it.

Regards,

Chris Lewis

5900 Walnut Grove Road

Memphis, TN 38120

phone (901) 261-4962

fax (901) 261-4909

Coach Lewis,

Thanks for the post again. I have nothing against your wrestlers not shaking hands with the opposing coach at the conclusion of a match. I have witnessed on many occasions the scenes you have described. Many of the current teams do this and that is why you are being questioned. I do not believe it is personal.

QUOTE(hoosierdad @ Feb 19 2007 - 11:56 PM) 826380496[/snapback]Coach Lewis,

Thanks for the post again. I have nothing against your wrestlers not shaking hands with the opposing coach at the conclusion of a match. I have witnessed on many occasions the scenes you have described. Many of the current teams do this and that is why you are being questioned. I do not believe it is personal.

Sounds like a plan. It would speed things up also. How do we get everybody

to agree?

Looks like half of Doubles questions was answered.

I guess know one from Bradley Central has a voice

I always wondered about that also. I know I read last year someone said everyones knows why. Well lots of us do not.

We all have enough sense to know Bradley has to have a good reason or at least it's a matter pf principle. As your coach proved this year with sticking by the rules and not getting wrestlers that broke those rules back on the mat even though they are former State Champs.

I would like to know and I'm sure others around the state would like to understand.

Please, no attacks just answers.

QUOTE(papbear3 @ Feb 19 2007 - 10:21 PM) 826380250[/snapback]Good Gracious, this comes up all the time. This is a copy of the email sent our parents this season about this topic:

Regards,

Chris Lewis

5900 Walnut Grove Road

Memphis, TN 38120

phone (901) 261-4962

fax (901) 261-4909

I think shaking hands with the coach after a match is a customary positive gesture that shows good sportmanship and respect that youths need more of these days. The coaches require it in every state I have been to for youth wrestling. It was required when I wrestled in high school. I remember our coach scolding a teammate any time he failed to shake the opposing coach's hand. There is a reason why you are told as a youth to line up and shake the opponent's hands. I personally did not care for it after my team lost a game, or when I got beat in a match, especially with a rival wrestler. But I knew it showed a sign of good sportsmanship and respect. My parents would have killed me if I walked away without shaking the opposing coach's hand. Of course, you are going to have some immature kids curse at you or some kids still reeling from their loss that are not in the mood to shake hands. That's part of it. I do not think that a football player shaking the opposing coach's hand after a touch down or a baseball player shaking the opposing manager's hand after a home run is parallel to this issue. Respectfully, the gesture of shaking hands being unsanitary does not hold much water IMHO. How many times have you hugged your wrestler or shook his hand after a match? Almost everything around you in the gym is exposed to unsanitary elements. Further, it is not too hard to talk with your "on deck" wrestler while the opponent comes over to shake your hand that lasts maybe 1 to 3 seconds if you throw in a comment to the kid. Lastly, I never remember it setting up "situations like this that do not need to occur." Your assistant can help you with the score, talking with one of your wrestlers about the match, etc.

Chris,

I for one agree that shaking hands at the end of each individual match is not a good idea. As long as you shake hands at the end of the dual, I see no problem with what you are doing and wish that others would follow. Very few college programs shake hands with the opposing coaches after their individual matches. In fact the United States Military Academy (West Point) is the only program that I know of that would do this.

Could anyone imagine Terry or Tom Brands shaking hands with the Oklahoma State or Iowa State coaching staff after a loss?

Give the kids and coaches a chance to "cool down" before we ask them to be friendly. It's just like the wrestler that wins wanting to hug the wrestler that he defeated, it is asking for trouble.

My rule book is from 04-05. It states in End-of-match Procedure (6-5-2) that "The wrestlers shall shake hands and the referee shall declare the winner by raising the winning wrestler's hand." Then near teh end of the book it has a paragraph entitled Shaking Hands with Referee or Opposing Coach where is states that "rule 6-5-2 does not require wrestlers to shake hands with the referee or the opposing coach..." it goes on to state "The opposing coach can but does not have to shake hands with the opposing wrestler at the end of the match." It then discusses that if either the wrestler or the coach shake hands in a negative fashion they will be penalized. "It is an act of unsportsmanlike conduct to be pnealized whenever it occurs regardless of the circumstances."

Our high school (Bolton) stopped shaking hands about 4 years ago when Ronnie Carter brought up the issue as Coach Lewis stated. I have seen several kids be aggressive when shaking hands with coaches. My oldest son helps coach the high school team and at regions he almost had his arm pulled off by a sore winner. The kid was mad at teh conclusion of a match he won because he did not pin or because his opponent got a reversal on him. He yanked my son (coaching) by the hand then bumped his own coach in the arm with his shoulder as he walked passed him. I think it is a bad practice, although I thought it was a good sign of respect when I first started coming to wrestling matches. I do not think any of the wrestler's should go near the opposing team until the end of the match.

Did I just agree with Coach Lewis? Something MUST be wrong!

QUOTE(cbg @ Feb 20 2007 - 10:05 AM) 826380831[/snapback]Chris,

I for one agree that shaking hands at the end of each individual match is not a good idea. As long as you shake hands at the end of the dual, I see no problem with what you are doing and wish that others would follow. Very few college programs shake hands with the opposing coaches after their individual matches. In fact the United States Military Academy (West Point) is the only program that I know of that would do this.

Could anyone imagine Terry or Tom Brands shaking hands with the Oklahoma State or Iowa State coaching staff after a loss?

Give the kids and coaches a chance to "cool down" before we ask them to be friendly. It's just like the wrestler that wins wanting to hug the wrestler that he defeated, it is asking for trouble.

When a kid loses a close match, especially a big match, asking them to shake hands and play nice afterwards is situation that is best to be avoided. To me, when I would lose any kind of competition, I needed time to cool off. After all, I'm in a fight and don't like to lose, so how can we ask kid's to take it to lightly? I would just stay away from it, and shake hands after all matches. Usually, the guys have cooled off and can act much more professionally. Just my opinion.

One of the reasons I involved my boys in wrestling is because it teaches kids a few things I couldn't teach them as a father and as an ex-athelete. Getting beaten or whipped and being able to compose yourself, man-up and shake the opponents hand and then the opposing coaches hand is one of those things. My boys have wrestled something around 700 matches and have shook hands with the opposing coaches after EVERY match...win or lose. One of my sons will wrestle in college and as long as I have breath in my body, he will shake the opposing coach's hand following the match even if he's the only guy in the building doing it.

Whoever said colleges do not shake hands is wrong. Some do and some don't.

As far as cleanliness and health issues go....BS....we're talking about wrestling.

You are entitled to your opinion and can do whatever you want.

The question was, "Why does Christian Brothers not shake hands?" I explained.

I believe, as well as the head of TSSAA that it is unnecessary. Wrestling is a gentlemen's sport.

At the beginning of every dual meet, the captains come out and shake hands. Before every bout during the dual, the wrestlers shake hands at the beginning and the end of the bout. Then, at the end of the dual, everyone lines up and shakes hands. For some, that is four times in one dual. Again, we do as the head of TSSAA has asked us to do, others continue to do as they please. Some people will agree, some will not, it was asked, I answered, that's it. "It is what it is."

Peace,

Chris Lewis

So lots of CBHS answers and discussion.

How about the Bradley Central Question?

Someone once told me it was over the D-I and D-II split and Bradleys coach wnat wrestle Baylor of McCallie because of a matter of principle.

What is that principle?

BTW BBear. I agree with U on the hand shake. I've made my younger one go back on the mat in his younger years and shake when it didn't go his way.