REGION 5 PICKS

FridayMainEvent

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(blueice712 @ Feb 25 2007 - 01:26 PM) 826388522[/snapback]Congrats to east lit you guys came ready to play and out hustled us on all ends of the floor. With the exception of a couple of players, Carkuf and Reed, we looked scared to play these guys. The officiating was a little questionable but only halfway through to 4th period when the game was already over. Other than that though it was a good called game, so I dont know what cascade11 is talking about. The biggest thing that hurt us is that we ran a zone all the way into the 4th quarter with East lit shooting lights out. We should have switched out of the zone at the half cause obviously it wasnt working at all. They were shooting uncontested shots all night. On the other hand when we were getting open looks we weren't taking them, except Carkuf and Reed.

I second everything you said about the defense being played the other night Blue Ice. Was east lit upset in the tourney because there is no way that anybody in our district could match up with them. I find it hard to beleieve they should not be the best team in their district even though their record says other wise. They shot lights out the other night. It puzzled me why we stayed in a zone until the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter. I was also surprised we didnt take time outs when they started to get up on us more and more. I just figured that if it could possibly be the last game of your season that they would have made alot of adjustments and tried something different. Also Hall not scoring in the first half was a killer as well. Gotta find a way to get the ball to your stud.

Every once and a while I have to get on here and share some things. First, to one of you guys who got on here and said that Cascade should have switched out of their zone at half-time and went man....I asked Coach Pope about that at church yesterday, not adding that folks were already arm chair quarterbacking him. His response was, "did you watch the first time we played them at our place, played man to man and got it dribble drove down our throats?" My wife and I were at the first meeting and that was what I thought but I asked him. East Literature is moving up to AA next season and the coach was telling Cascade's principle before the game along the wall where I always stand that he had to try to win now, because it might be a long time before he gets a sniff at one again. East Lit played extremely well and was a difficult match-up for Cascade no matter what defense they tried to employ, for the record Coach Pope also told me that they were playing man to man in the first half on misses and turnovers......which were numerous. Hey, Cascade could play East Lit 10 times and might win once, they are that tough a match-up for us. I just sit in stands, stand along the wall and watch and support our kids. The negativity on here is what kills me......Forrest is good, Shankle is a tremendous player, Eagleville has gotten better as the season has winded down, Van Buren County played another good team Saturday night. Stop the negativity man, at this point in the season just about all the teams left playing are good and could with the right match-up beat anybody else. Good luck to the region teams still playing and represent us all the way to the state!

QUOTE(baller88 @ Feb 26 2007 - 08:24 AM) 826389714[/snapback]Every once and a while I have to get on here and share some things. First, to one of you guys who got on here and said that Cascade should have switched out of their zone at half-time and went man....I asked Coach Pope about that at church yesterday, not adding that folks were already arm chair quarterbacking him. His response was, "did you watch the first time we played them at our place, played man to man and got it dribble drove down our throats?" My wife and I were at the first meeting and that was what I thought but I asked him. East Literature is moving up to AA next season and the coach was telling Cascade's principle before the game along the wall where I always stand that he had to try to win now, because it might be a long time before he gets a sniff at one again. East Lit played extremely well and was a difficult match-up for Cascade no matter what defense they tried to employ, for the record Coach Pope also told me that they were playing man to man in the first half on misses and turnovers......which were numerous. Hey, Cascade could play East Lit 10 times and might win once, they are that tough a match-up for us. I just sit in stands, stand along the wall and watch and support our kids. The negativity on here is what kills me......Forrest is good, Shankle is a tremendous player, Eagleville has gotten better as the season has winded down, Van Buren County played another good team Saturday night. Stop the negativity man, at this point in the season just about all the teams left playing are good and could with the right match-up beat anybody else. Good luck to the region teams still playing and represent us all the way to the state!

I appreciate and respect your comments baller 88 but its not negativity when someone says that they needed to change their defense. i think Coach Pope has done a great job overall this season. I am not syaing by changing defenses we would have won because they were bigger, stronger, and faster than us but to sit in a zone and watch them shoot over 50% is ridiculous. Also not sure if you were at the game or not but besides all of the shots east lit made when they didnt make it they rebounded their misses and put them back in. Running a man on a turn over or missed shot is not as effective as it is when a team comes down and runs their half court offense. Congrats to all of the winners saturday night and good luck the rest of the way.

Baller88, great post and 100% accurate. Our dribble penetration broke down your defense the first time out. The half-court trap hurt you as well. This time our man defense was strong. Sometimes match-ups just are not in your favor.

Going zone was the right call. Both Nashville Christian and Houston County beat us in the district tourney with zone d. Our man defense has been great the last few weeks. Our quickness gives us an advantage with man-to-man if our guys decide to show up (they don't always do that). We shot 21-41 from the field and 6-12 from the line. Hardly "lights out", but solid anyway except for the foul line. We are able to play 10-12 guys at any time and usually do. We have nine seniors.

To the guy complaining about fouls not being called, where were you when the first 6 fouls of the 2nd half were on East Lit? You were in the bonus in the 3rd quarter. We were not until you had to start fouling late in the 4th. The only time Hall scored was on a three-point play to start the 3rd quarter. Three points from your leading scorer will not win you many games just like when we got 4 points from Winrow in the district tourney. Hall needs to get stronger. We played him physically and he disappeared. He did not like contact at all. Post players have to expect it.

Congrats to Coach Pope and the Champions on their district championship and fine season. Also, good luck to Eagleville, Forrest, Nashville Christian and East Lit in the semi-finals tomorrow. May the best teams win. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

QUOTE(bigchief @ Feb 26 2007 - 09:47 AM) 826389832[/snapback]Baller88, great post and 100% accurate. Our dribble penetration broke down your defense the first time out. The half-court trap hurt you as well. This time our man defense was strong. Sometimes match-ups just are not in your favor.

Going zone was the right call. Both Nashville Christian and Houston County beat us in the district tourney with zone d. Our man defense has been great the last few weeks. Our quickness gives us an advantage with man-to-man if our guys decide to show up (they don't always do that). We shot 21-41 from the field and 6-12 from the line. Hardly "lights out", but solid anyway except for the foul line. We are able to play 10-12 guys at any time and usually do. We have nine seniors.

To the guy complaining about fouls not being called, where were you when the first 6 fouls of the 2nd half were on East Lit? You were in the bonus in the 3rd quarter. We were not until you had to start fouling late in the 4th. The only time Hall scored was on a three-point play to start the 3rd quarter. Three points from your leading scorer will not win you many games just like when we got 4 points from Winrow in the district tourney. Hall needs to get stronger. We played him physically and he disappeared. He did not like contact at all. Post players have to expect it.

Congrats to Coach Pope and the Champions on their district championship and fine season. Also, good luck to Eagleville, Forrest, Nashville Christian and East Lit in the semi-finals tomorrow. May the best teams win. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Big Chief great reply. but to say that a zone is the way to go may have been the best defense to play but not when a team is shooting 50%. The shots that they missed were put back up by East Lit. Like I said earlier if we played man it probably would not of mattered because we could not rebound missed shots. If a team shoots 50% thats pretty good, maybe not lights out but I would take it. In the local paper here the coach from east Lit stated that if he had Hall on his team he would pencil his team in for state already.Good job East Lit on holding Brandon Hall to three. It will be fun to see Cascade play next year even though the seniors will be truly missed.

"I just sit in stands, stand along the wall and watch and support our kids. The negativity on here is what kills me......Forrest is good, Shankle is a tremendous player, Eagleville has gotten better as the season has winded down, Van Buren County played another good team Saturday night. Stop the negativity man, at this point in the season just about all the teams left playing are good and could with the right match-up beat anybody else. Good luck to the region teams still playing and represent us all the way to the state!"

Baller88, I agree 100%. We all have great players and I hope we all stay healthy and injury free. Good luck to all teams left in Region 5A.

Go Rockets!

QUOTE(baller88 @ Feb 26 2007 - 08:24 AM) 826389714[/snapback]Every once and a while I have to get on here and share some things. First, to one of you guys who got on here and said that Cascade should have switched out of their zone at half-time and went man....I asked Coach Pope about that at church yesterday, not adding that folks were already arm chair quarterbacking him. His response was, "did you watch the first time we played them at our place, played man to man and got it dribble drove down our throats?" My wife and I were at the first meeting and that was what I thought but I asked him. East Literature is moving up to AA next season and the coach was telling Cascade's principle before the game along the wall where I always stand that he had to try to win now, because it might be a long time before he gets a sniff at one again. East Lit played extremely well and was a difficult match-up for Cascade no matter what defense they tried to employ, for the record Coach Pope also told me that they were playing man to man in the first half on misses and turnovers......which were numerous. Hey, Cascade could play East Lit 10 times and might win once, they are that tough a match-up for us. I just sit in stands, stand along the wall and watch and support our kids. The negativity on here is what kills me......Forrest is good, Shankle is a tremendous player, Eagleville has gotten better as the season has winded down, Van Buren County played another good team Saturday night. Stop the negativity man, at this point in the season just about all the teams left playing are good and could with the right match-up beat anybody else. Good luck to the region teams still playing and represent us all the way to the state!

I don't know if I was included in your negativity accusations or not, but I don't recall saying anything negative about our coaching staff. I think those guys do an excellent job and have put a lot of effort into getting our program at the top of the district. If there is anything that I could change about this season it would be getting Ricky Hord involved in some of our victories. In my opinion, Reed has some huge shoes to fill and from a talent stand point Ricky should be the next in line to run our point next year. I don't know if that is the game plan or not. I don't claim to know half as much as Charlie or Ralph about the game, but from what I've seen of Ricky over the last three years he has a huge upside and I personally would of gotten him some more game time for preparation for next season. I think our coaches do an excellent job of game planning and don't recall questioning that. I've coached a long time (not basketball) and I am aware that coaches often see things in practice that us spectators don't see so you'll seldom see me question a lineup either.

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:34 AM) 826389897[/snapback]I don't know if I was included in your negativity accusations or not, but I don't recall saying anything negative about our coaching staff. I think those guys do an excellent job and have put a lot of effort into getting our program at the top of the district. If there is anything that I could change about this season it would be getting Ricky Hord involved in some of our victories. In my opinion, Reed has some huge shoes to fill and from a talent stand point Ricky should be the next in line to run our point next year. I don't know if that is the game plan or not. I don't claim to know half as much as Charlie or Ralph about the game, but from what I've seen of Ricky over the last three years he has a huge upside and I personally would of gotten him some more game time for preparation for next season. I think our coaches do an excellent job of game planning and don't recall questioning that. I've coached a long time (not basketball) and I am aware that coaches often see things in practice that us spectators don't see so you'll seldom see me question a lineup either.

Hey cascade 11 dont let nothin that fresh says get to ya. He dont know what he is talkin bout. He is just mad that you guys beat them for the championship game. I know that hall and baker are both better than shankle any time any day. Shankle will be NOTHING in college. He has a hot head and dont want to listen to any body. Hall and Baker will both be 10 times better than shankle in college. I say this about forrest they has a very good over all team and coaching staff. It bad that cascade and vb both lost I think they were the strongest teams out of district 9. But good luck to the others teams in district 9 thats still playing.

QUOTE(fresh @ Feb 26 2007 - 12:46 AM) 826389601[/snapback]ya and he's not good enough. beleive me... i know

My buddy fresh who ya talkin about not being good enough???? I hope you aint talking about my friends from vb or cascade. Im sorry to say your brother shankle is good but there is about 4 or 5 guys that are better than him in our district

QUOTE(snoopy_25 @ Feb 26 2007 - 10:59 AM) 826389951[/snapback]My buddy fresh who ya talkin about not being good enough???? I hope you aint talking about my friends from vb or cascade. Im sorry to say your brother shankle is good but there is about 4 or 5 guys that are better than him in our district

Hall is a very good player but he hasn't played that way all year. The first time playing Forrest, We talked about how big Hall was but that he didn't do much and he didn't even have a good game. I at first thought maybe he was just off, but then heard some Cascade parents talking outside about how he should be better, get the ball more, be more aggressive, so then I figured he just didn't play up to what other besides me thought he should. Shankle has play good if not great in atleast 96% of the games this year. And whats up with the cascade/VBC alliance? Do ya'll both hate Forrest that much?

QUOTE(voiceofrockets @ Feb 26 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826389972[/snapback]Hall is a very good player but he hasn't played that way all year. The first time playing Forrest, We talked about how big Hall was but that he didn't do much and he didn't even have a good game. I at first thought maybe he was just off, but then heard some Cascade parents talking outside about how he should be better, get the ball more, be more aggressive, so then I figured he just didn't play up to what other besides me thought he should. Shankle has play good if not great in atleast 96% of the games this year. And whats up with the cascade/VBC alliance? Do ya'll both hate Forrest that much?

No alliance that I know of, Voice. I don't even know a single person from VB. I've only stated on here a few times how much i enjoy watching Baker play. I think that because one of your fans, Fresh, comes on here talking so much smack he rubs alot of people the wrong way. I think Forrest did more, with less talent than anyone in the district this year. I think there are probably 4-5 teams with more talent in our region, but your coach seems to always get the absolute best out of his talent. I admire the Forrest program, especially your spring sports (softball and baseball) unfortunately you have some Coach Tier's that some of us let get under our skin when we shouldn't.