Cosby @ OS

inappropriate83

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(goosevol @ Feb 25 2007 - 01:02 PM) 826388417[/snapback]The atmosphere at Unaka is unbelievable. It seems like the crowd is right up on the players and everybody in that place is loud. However, there is now way that place holds 1,000 people like they claim.

1,028 with the baseline seats they had for the sub-state game agains Rockwood.

QUOTE(crazzyness @ Feb 25 2007 - 03:36 PM) 826388603[/snapback]1,028 with the baseline seats they had for the sub-state game agains Rockwood.

They had seats?

For the game I attended and covered with Cosby in 2004....the crows nest was full of media and oldtimers and I had to stand 3 deep on the baseline against the wall on the far end of the gym. If a fire would've broken out that night, that would've been a bad situation.

QUOTE(PTSportsWriter @ Feb 26 2007 - 12:32 AM) 826389566[/snapback]They had seats?

For the game I attended and covered with Cosby in 2004....the crows nest was full of media and oldtimers and I had to stand 3 deep on the baseline against the wall on the far end of the gym. If a fire would've broken out that night, that would've been a bad situation.

Oh I can tell you right now that you couldn't fit 1,000 in there at the '04 sub-state (not by the 18 inch rule at least.) But the next year they contstucted two rows on each baseline. Students took up one side, parents and relatives the other. Probably added bout 100-150 more seats. The morning before the game, the fire marshal came in and measured, and said that by the 18 inch rule, we had 1,028... But he made us pull all of the doors out of the exits though /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I'll just say this, both student sections are very passionate and rabid of their schools. I don't know about Cosby or Unaka's gyms because I've not been to either, but the Oliver Springs gym should be called "The Asylum" because that is by far the most intimidating atmosphere I've ever seen and those fans can get pretty wild.

I do have a question though for Cosby fans, is there any truth to the story that one time while somebody was shooting a foul shot, someone brought a shotgun in the gym and blew the ball to smithereens in mid-air? Because if that's true, I have to say your fans are hardcore.

I've been to all three and I think it's Unaka, OS then Cosby. I think Unaka gets the edge because the fans seem to be right on top of the players while OS is a little bigger as a whole. I still don't think that Unaka holds 1,000 (you can find ways to get to whatever magic number you need). I've heard of schools measuring the aisle space and adding that to the seating capacity to reach whatever magic numer is needed. Personally I don't care because I think if your team wins then they should get the right to host the game. It shouldn't matter whether you have 500 seats or 5,000. Unaka, OS and Cosby are all great places to watch basketball.

I don't necessarily buy the Unaka seats 1,000 people theory either because I just don't think there's THAT much interest in basketball in Stoney Creek. I could maybe believe 750, but if they did hypothetically fit 1,000 in their gym, wouldn't that be a fire hazard of some sort because I don't know of many (if any at all) Class A gyms holding that many people.

QUOTE(RCSportsStringer @ Mar 2 2007 - 07:29 PM) 826397432[/snapback]I don't necessarily buy the Unaka seats 1,000 people theory either because I just don't think there's THAT much interest in basketball in Stoney Creek. I could maybe believe 750, but if they did hypothetically fit 1,000 in their gym, wouldn't that be a fire hazard of some sort because I don't know of many (if any at all) Class A gyms holding that many people.

Well thats the number of seats a 1A gym is supossed to have to host a sub-state. And many 1A gyms hold 1,000 easy: Cosby, Harriman, Pickett County, Hampton, Rockwood... Heck, UH's gym holds 4,000 easy. Probably closer to 5,000.

QUOTE(RCSportsStringer @ Mar 2 2007 - 07:29 PM) 826397432[/snapback]I just don't think there's THAT much interest in basketball in Stoney Creek. I could maybe believe 750,

You've obviosly never been to a big single A game in upper northeast Tennessee, let alone Unaka... goosevol will back me up here...

QUOTE(RCSportsStringer @ Mar 2 2007 - 03:50 PM) 826397201[/snapback]I do have a question though for Cosby fans, is there any truth to the story that one time while somebody was shooting a foul shot, someone brought a shotgun in the gym and blew the ball to smithereens in mid-air? Because if that's true, I have to say your fans are hardcore.

Yes that's true....Happens all the time. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Be aware, if you are ever about to shoot a free throw at The Eagle's Nest be ready

to duck because the gun fire might start at any time. /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />