Reffing

BBallFan31

Has anyone else noticed how badly the games have been called in the district tournaments this year in the Knoxville area? It's been, to be generous, AWFUL. It's not that the refs have been calling against one team at all, it seems to me that the refs are missing a lot of calls on both ends of the floor that are obvious. I mean how hard is to to know what a walk is and what a charge is?? Knoxville area needs some new refs. It's getting bad.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While no one can or will be perfect, I have watched games all over Knoxville this year and must agree. The refs are getting worse every year. THe problem is that there is absolutely no accountability or attempts to get better. A guy can totally screw up a game on Tuesday and be calling another game Wednesday. At least in the college and pro games there are reprecussions for poor performance. I know people (mostly other officials) get on here and defend the officials by saying there are not enough for games, but this is wrong. It is really bad in basketball, and other sports are catching up quickly. The TSSAA needs to do something to address these problems soon.

QUOTE(BBallFan31 @ Feb 23 2007 - 12:45 PM) 826385899[/snapback]Has anyone else noticed how badly the games have been called in the district tournaments this year in the Knoxville area? It's been, to be generous, AWFUL. It's not that the refs have been calling against one team at all, it seems to me that the refs are missing a lot of calls on both ends of the floor that are obvious. I mean how hard is to to know what a walk is and what a charge is?? Knoxville area needs some new refs. It's getting bad.

Well, let me tell you what to do. Call TSSAA and tell them that you are dealing with reffing problems and they will send you your very own packet of information. Then you need to send in your money by June and attend the the state meeting in October. After that you get to attend all of our local meetings as well as the clinics and camps. Oh, don't forget to pay your local dues as well. Then when the season starts mid November you get to put tons of miles on your vehicle and get to travel to around four or five counties to all these high schools and middle schools and then that is where you can show everyone what a perfect official is and apparently what a walk or charge is......AKA, player control. So, since Knoxville area needs some new refs; now is your chance.

QUOTE(PurpleGrad @ Feb 23 2007 - 01:43 PM) 826385993[/snapback]Quit getting on here whinning about it, contact you local association and sign yourself up for next year. I'm sure the director of your local association would be more than happy to talk to you and explain what steps you need to take. That way, next year, people will be able to get on here and gripe about what a pathetic job YOU are doing and you will be tickled to death because you will be getting all that extra spending money....since it pays so well...... Remember: If you're not part of the solution...you are part of the problem.

Great reply purplegrad, I echo your response.

QUOTE(atdenton @ Feb 23 2007 - 01:12 PM) 826385938[/snapback]thats right, just get rid of them all. i mean it's easy to find about 80 people in one night to work games for great pay and crowds that act like it's church. they should just quit right now and hire dad and mom in the stands to referee, it would be easier because they are already going to be there for their kids, so thats killing two birds with one stone. i'm sure they don't want to referee anymore and probably will retire with never missing a call. wait, let's not even have referees, let's let the fans and coach have a button to push everytime something that is against the rules happen just press it and everyone will stop. shoot that will clean up everything. i mean it would be a fair game, everyone would get their opinions and viewpoint heard. so i mean whats the problem. i mean if you say that they miss everything then whats the point in having referees at all.

LOL

I am A Ref and my problem is not the bad calls we all make them, But the Assoc. I work for is based on who you know to get games. I did everything I was supposed to went to all the meetings took the test and worked my butt off looking forward to getting a tournament game. But alas I was denied for again. Why because I was not given enough regular season games by our assigner. I spent at least 3 to 4 nights a week away from my family doing both middle and high school games. I was told that I needed to get the coaches to rate me so I could get more Games during the regular seasons. How am I suppose to do that when the only way to get to know the coaches is to be on the court. I am not perfect I miss calls nightly but the way these associations are run it hurts decent refs if you are not in the click with the refs who get alot of games. I was told to spend my summer working and getting to know the coaches to get my ratings up. I guess i am suppose to go mow theirs yards for them. please realize until the state makes it mandatory to break up the politics in the associations that it is very hard for a official who has a family and wants to spend time with them and not kissing up to whoever just to get games alot of refs who might do a better job will watch the tournaments from home

QUOTE(Acelineman @ Feb 23 2007 - 02:41 PM) 826386180[/snapback]I am A Ref and my problem is not the bad calls we all make them, But the Assoc. I work for is based on who you know to get games. I did everything I was supposed to went to all the meetings took the test and worked my butt off looking forward to getting a tournament game. But alas I was denied for again. Why because I was not given enough regular season games by our assigner. I spent at least 3 to 4 nights a week away from my family doing both middle and high school games. I was told that I needed to get the coaches to rate me so I could get more Games during the regular seasons. How am I suppose to do that when the only way to get to know the coaches is to be on the court. I am not perfect I miss calls nightly but the way these associations are run it hurts decent refs if you are not in the click with the refs who get alot of games. I was told to spend my summer working and getting to know the coaches to get my ratings up. I guess i am suppose to go mow theirs yards for them. please realize until the state makes it mandatory to break up the politics in the associations that it is very hard for a official who has a family and wants to spend time with them and not kissing up to whoever just to get games alot of refs who might do a better job will watch the tournaments from home

You hit the nail on the head,politics play a big part of not getting younger ones involved in being a ref.

QUOTE(Acelineman @ Feb 23 2007 - 02:41 PM) 826386180[/snapback]I am A Ref and my problem is not the bad calls we all make them, But the Assoc. I work for is based on who you know to get games. I did everything I was supposed to went to all the meetings took the test and worked my butt off looking forward to getting a tournament game. But alas I was denied for again. Why because I was not given enough regular season games by our assigner. I spent at least 3 to 4 nights a week away from my family doing both middle and high school games. I was told that I needed to get the coaches to rate me so I could get more Games during the regular seasons. How am I suppose to do that when the only way to get to know the coaches is to be on the court. I am not perfect I miss calls nightly but the way these associations are run it hurts decent refs if you are not in the click with the refs who get alot of games. I was told to spend my summer working and getting to know the coaches to get my ratings up. I guess i am suppose to go mow theirs yards for them. please realize until the state makes it mandatory to break up the politics in the associations that it is very hard for a official who has a family and wants to spend time with them and not kissing up to whoever just to get games alot of refs who might do a better job will watch the tournaments from home

WOW! I didn't realize that it worked like that.

QUOTE(Ram Fan @ Feb 23 2007 - 01:46 PM) 826385999[/snapback]Well, let me tell you what to do. Call TSSAA and tell them that you are dealing with reffing problems and they will send you your very own packet of information. Then you need to send in your money by June and attend the the state meeting in October. After that you get to attend all of our local meetings as well as the clinics and camps. Oh, don't forget to pay your local dues as well. Then when the season starts mid November you get to put tons of miles on your vehicle and get to travel to around four or five counties to all these high schools and middle schools and then that is where you can show everyone what a perfect official is and apparently what a walk or charge is......AKA, player control. So, since Knoxville area needs some new refs; now is your chance.

The real problem is that the associations have no real training and improvement program. Everyone in every job needs feedback to improve their performance. I fully believe that the people that ref really want to do a very good job, and generally, most of the time they do. However, most refs never get evaluated or have a chance to be critiqued by their fellow referees. If done in the right way, such evaluations can really help to improve performance. I would propose that the associations actively manage feedback to their refs to help them improve.

One can certainly understand your emotional response if you are a ref, however, please consider some kind of feedback and evaluation of your refs.

Ram fan sounds like u might be a ref & are taking this personally...it also sounds like you do not enjoy your job & I think this is part of the problem w/ the refs this year. It is very obvious that they (the refs) do not enjoy what they are doing and have a grudge so they should not be calling games. This should be one of those jobs you choose to do because you enjoy it , it is for sure not for the money we all know that so do it because you want to and enjoy it and do it the right way or dont do it at all.