Region home court in first round

Macnarry

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(PTSportsWriter @ Feb 24 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826387607[/snapback]Bad idea, at least from a media standpoint.

With different times, you can better plan your coverage (maybe hit 1 game at 4 and another elsewhere at 7), especially in smaller media outlets. I know of a buddy who had 3 teams in his county playing 3 games in 3 different counties. And he's the entire sports department at his newspaper.

Its not good for radio outlets either.

1) Many stations cover two games, which forces the station to make a decision on who to air, or if they will tape delay one game. With the old format, the chances were unlikely (25%) that one station could have 2 games at one time.

2) Many stations use phone lines, for better quality of audio, to broadcast. With semifinals of the two districts in a region at times not being determined in some cases, until 3 days before the regional quarterfinals, its impossible to have phone lines installed for the game.

This poster agrees with this viewpoint and many of the others. However spreading out the play so that more of a geographical area can see the games is a plus. The TSSAA, IMO, does not do a very good job of thinking out marketing solutions of its products. it seems someone just says, lets try this and it is tried without anything else. Someday, IMO, the TSSAA will figure out that a restructuring of districts and regions might be to the best interest of schools, districts, regions but very likely at the expense of some widely valued rivalries. This trade off might be painful. Really what is right about LCHS traveling to Cookeville on a Friday nite and then to Murfreesboro the next Monday and you can name some more. There are some extremes in travel in some regions as well as Districts also. Maybe these things are being looked at but as in Memphis, I am sure there are competent teachers in Schools who teach marketing who could explain why attendance would be down with a sport as popular as girls basketball and the ways to change and improve the acceptance to attend. maybe HS Sports are being relegated to parent attended events. This poster really doesn't think so.

I went to watch Tellico and Howard on Friday and ther was a pretty good crowd, but i have been traveling to Cleveland to watch Tellico and other teams in that district about every night and there has been the same crowd. I guess my point is TSSAA is coming out about the same or maybe a little more on the gates just from what I saw. So I guess I am in between there are pros and cons to having the game at "home-court" or neutral

QUOTE(volmania10 @ Feb 24 2007 - 08:57 PM) 826387766[/snapback]I went to watch Tellico and Howard on Friday and ther was a pretty good crowd, but i have been traveling to Cleveland to watch Tellico and other teams in that district about every night and there has been the same crowd. I guess my point is TSSAA is coming out about the same or maybe a little more on the gates just from what I saw. So I guess I am in between there are pros and cons to having the game at "home-court" or neutral

Good if you win, bad if you lost

71 home teams won in 94 girls regional games statewide last night.

I got this data off the scoreboard.

I'm from East TN and 29 home teams won in 35 games.

Of the 6 road teams winning, 2 came about via district tourney upsets (Science Hill, Elizabethton) and 2 were better teams record wise (Wartburg and North Greene).

Unsure about the other two victorious road teams (Walker Valley and Copper Basin)

Good idea. Obviously places some reward for operating successfully through the district tournament. Home court isn't a given, but if your gonna put the first region game at four different sites, it makes sense to reward the higher seeded teams. Just think, the first round isn't at one place where you have to play 4 games, which might last until 11 or 12 at night. Who does that benefit, the kids? They go to school too ya know.

Kaz

I'm thinking one way to work out the Regionals to give the higher seed an advantage in the first game is hold the first round of the Regionals at the same place the higher seeds District tournament was held. The team that has just played on that court, and should be more comfortable with it then moving on to different site, plus you could play two games at both places so that the fans would get more bang for their buck too!