Region 1AA will lose two good coaches this year

mrv1

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bball35 @ Mar 1 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826396033[/snapback]Really one of the best coaches you have ever seen? Wow, that's a big statement. Either you are from Claiborne or you haven't seen many teams play.

Please, enlighten us. I would like to see a list of the most successful and competative coaches in Tennessee without his name on it. Impossible.

He was successful, I will give him that. However, he lacked class and also lacked respect from not only other coaches and players but even his own players. In my opinion, it took away a little bit from his accomplishments, especially late in his career. I think getting wins alone does not make you an outstanding coach, a coach is also a teacher and a role model and should also represent there school at all times in a positive manner, but that is just my opinion. But if you are going on wins alone, then yes, he was a VERY good coach.

QUOTE(bball35 @ Mar 1 2007 - 11:23 PM) 826396248[/snapback]He was successful, I will give him that. However, he lacked class and also lacked respect from not only other coaches and players but even his own players. In my opinion, it took away a little bit from his accomplishments, especially late in his career. I think getting wins alone does not make you an outstanding coach, a coach is also a teacher and a role model and should also represent there school at all times in a positive manner, but that is just my opinion. But if you are going on wins alone, then yes, he was a VERY good coach.

The only disrespect or lack of class that I have ever seen from Coach Parkey is when he was disrespected. He always treated people with utmost respect, so long as it was returned. I recognize that he was a role model, but I think that he displayed, very well, that people should never stand to be disrespected. I have heard some hilarious stories, but there was always an instance of provocation. None of us can say that all parties were being respectful. I know what you are talking about and why you are coming from this point of view...and I think they've always had a love/hate relationship...not so much love...but at least they were civilized, but we know that those two knew how to push each others buttons. I don't feel as if that one instance disenfranchised him whatsoever. As one of his previous players, I can say that so long as we showed him respect, which no one ever thought to do otherwise, he respected us. I just don't think that someone who saw Coach Parkey a few times in their entire life could successfully judge his character. To bring it into perspective, imagine that someone saw you on your very worst day, and judging you for how you acted, discredited your life accomplishments. Just a thought...

I was not referring to any certain instance but many. I have been around Coach Parkey for more than 6 years, and being in contact with many former players and parents, I do know that he was not respected or liked by the majority of them. And no, his actions in that one certain circumstance were not provoked but simply classless and initiated by him. The other party was the one not letting him or her self being disrespected. But we are never going to agree on this, so I will leave it at that. I'm done with this topic.

Having played under Coach Parkey for four years, I believe I have the right to say that he was an outstanding coach. Yes there were times when he made me mad as well as everyone else, but what coach doesn't step on his/her players' toes every once in a while? But what happened in practice stayed in practice. When you would see or talk to him outside of basketball he was one of the nicest and funniest people you will meet. Even if you didn't like playing for him you couldn't disagree that he was a good coach. Out of four years i have not once see a time when he wasn't respectable to those who deserve it. But just like you have to earn playing time on the court, you have to first earn his respect before he will give it to you. I know of the instance both bball35 and t_hat44 talk about and was also present at the game. But who is to say which side is right. Having both sides of the story, maybe both coaches were at fault. I do know that Coach Parkey apologized to his players for acting that way and said that it wasn't acceptable behavior. All in all, Parkey will be a missed coach in the school and in the district; and it will be hard to replace him.