Oakland vs. Powell

#1VolsFan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having seen Oakland on film, I would guess that if these teams played 10 times, Oakland would win 6 or 7. I think Oakland has the better team, but not by a bunch. Oakland fans should not make too much out of Shelbyville's win over Powell as several Panthers were battling injury during that part of the season (early). I do think that Powell can give Oakland problems because Oakland's big man will not come out of the paint. Powell's 4 and 5 guys shoot the ball exceptionally well from three-point land and Powell uses a five-out motion offense.

Coach King could try and compensate for that by putting Epps in the game for the big boy, but then Powell could score from the inside because Conner will a very tough match-up for Oakland. Conner is a 6'4" 195 lbs. guard/wing who is very strong, athletic and shoots about 45% from three.

I don't know how Powell is going to guard Allen (he is REALLY good). Hargis vs. Maupins will be a good match-up at point. Wade is also a tough match-up for Powell. It will be fun to watch and should be a fine game between teams with contrasting styles.

QUOTE(Know Nothing @ Mar 8 2007 - 10:00 AM) 826404602[/snapback]Having seen Oakland on film, I would guess that if these teams played 10 times, Oakland would win 6 or 7. I think Oakland has the better team, but not by a bunch. Oakland fans should not make too much out of Shelbyville's win over Powell as several Panthers were battling injury during that part of the season (early). I do think that Powell can give Oakland problems because Oakland's big man will not come out of the paint. Powell's 4 and 5 guys shoot the ball exceptionally well from three-point land and Powell uses a five-out motion offense.

Coach King could try and compensate for that by putting Epps in the game for the big boy, but then Powell could score from the inside because Conner will a very tough match-up for Oakland. Conner is a 6'4" 195 lbs. guard/wing who is very strong, athletic and shoots about 45% from three.

I don't know how Powell is going to guard Allen (he is REALLY good). Hargis vs. Maupins will be a good match-up at point. Wade is also a tough match-up for Powell. It will be fun to watch and should be a fine game between teams with contrasting styles.

Ill confess that I havent seen Powell play or on tape, but it seems like they shoot the ball very well and play decent enough defense to help them out. Just like Oakland fans shouldnt use the shelbyville game to get excited about Powell, Powell fans shouldnt use the tape they got( he struggled in the one you probably got) to get excited about Oakland's big man, Kit Carlton. Kit has pretty good mobility, he was only taken out in the last game because Red Bank had a guy that was simply just too quick inside, not because of the up-tempo pace of the game, also with him being 6'8, he can slack off a little more to deny penetration while still being able to contest the shot from the perimeter. Oakland's defense has done pretty good against teams that pride themselves on being to shoot the basketball well, they beat White County 4 times (all by double digits) just destroyed Red Bank who supposedly is a team that can shoot as well, not saying this game will be a walk for Oakland, thats far from it, but I think Powell is going to need to rebound well and get some production from inside the paint to keep Oakland honest defensively.

QUOTE(SiegelNation07 @ Mar 8 2007 - 11:45 AM) 826404657[/snapback]Drew Fann could guard inside and outside, they would likely play him if you guys go inside on dejuan. I know little about Powell and a lot about Oakland, After the Oakland Red Bank game I believe Oakland should win easily against Powell. You will NOT cause a match-up problem for Oakland. Its basically impossible to do.

I believe you might underestimate how well powell plays agaisnt better teams. match-up problem or not. Powell has excellent 3 point range shooting, conner and howell both hit the 3's great, pluz conner is very moble coming to inside and outside shooting. along side with jason seymore who is a great defensive player inside and hargis who is a overall great athlete who will make things happen. i also might add that they shoot well from the free throw line. so count on adding alot of points when powell gets fouled. i say its a close game, both teams have the chance to win, but i say its a 6 point game.

QUOTE(SportsGUY2232 @ Mar 8 2007 - 01:55 PM) 826405009[/snapback]I believe you might underestimate how well powell plays agaisnt better teams. match-up problem or not. Powell has excellent 3 point range shooting, conner and howell both hit the 3's great, pluz conner is very moble coming to inside and outside shooting. along side with jason seymore who is a great defensive player inside and hargis who is a overall great athlete who will make things happen. i also might add that they shoot well from the free throw line. so count on adding alot of points when powell gets fouled. i say its a close game, both teams have the chance to win, but i say its a 6 point game.

How well do you think Powell will shoot in an arena setting? Do they play in an arena or have they been practicing in an arena in order to try to acclimate themselves somewhat with potential problems associated with depth perception? Not saying that will be the case with Powell or any other team that shoots well from outside but I do think it is the case, historically, that first round games in the Murphy Center feature some pretty poor shooting from outside and I think that is due to teams not being used to playing in an arena. I think teams that can penetrate and/or have a solid inside game have the advantage at least in the first round.

QUOTE(DunkerDon @ Mar 8 2007 - 02:12 PM) 826405035[/snapback]How well do you think Powell will shoot in an arena setting? Do they play in an arena or have they been practicing in an arena in order to try to acclimate themselves somewhat with potential problems associated with depth perception? Not saying that will be the case with Powell or any other team that shoots well from outside but I do think it is the case, historically, that first round games in the Murphy Center feature some pretty poor shooting from outside and I think that is due to teams not being used to playing in an arena. I think teams that can penetrate and/or have a solid inside game have the advantage at least in the first round.

Good point and may be true. With that being said, I have watched alot of boys basketball around the state this year and I honestly believe that Oakland will win by double digits. if Oakland does not win state in my opinion it would be as big of an upset as RE losing at sub state. They are the most complete team in all five positions that I have seen all year.

For the record, Powell beat Patterson Prep High School out of North Carolina this year. Patterson Prep has one of the better teams in the country and three or four highly sought-after high-Division I prospects, including Jamar Samuals and Marshall Moses. Powell probably should not have won that game either, but they were not intimidated and got the job done. If Oakland wins, it will not be because Powell is intimidated or scared. Powell shot well against Patterson, and can certainly do the same against Oakland. Oakland is not nearly as athletic as Patterson Prep.

QUOTE(Know Nothing @ Mar 8 2007 - 04:30 PM) 826405226[/snapback]For the record, Powell beat Patterson Prep High School out of North Carolina this year. Patterson Prep has one of the better teams in the country and three or four highly sought-after high-Division I prospects, including Jamar Samuals and Marshall Moses. Powell probably should not have won that game either, but they were not intimidated and got the job done. If Oakland wins, it will not be because Powell is intimidated or scared. Powell shot well against Patterson, and can certainly do the same against Oakland. Oakland is not nearly as athletic as Patterson Prep.

lol Why should Powell be scared of Oakland, its not like Oakland has been a dominant program, far from it. Its nice to have wins over teams that are recongnized nationally, but those polls are just popularity contests, not to take anything away from Powell. But Powell simply cannot rely on their perimeter shooting to win this game, Oakland has carved teams up that go into the game with that mentality, got to keep Oakland honest by being able to penetrate inside and score, otherwise Oakland will just play tight and go for the steal, which they do very well. My question is, if Oakland shuts down Powell's shooters, can they rely on their defense and some timely baskets inside to win a low scoring affair? Oakland has won most of their games by scoring a good bit of points, but has won their fair share of games in the 40's

QUOTE(OaklandGrad @ Mar 8 2007 - 05:40 PM) 826405235[/snapback]lol Why should Powell be scared of Oakland, its not like Oakland has been a dominant program, far from it. Its nice to have wins over teams that are recongnized nationally, but those polls are just popularity contests, not to take anything away from Powell. But Powell simply cannot rely on their perimeter shooting to win this game, Oakland has carved teams up that go into the game with that mentality, got to keep Oakland honest by being able to penetrate inside and score, otherwise Oakland will just play tight and go for the steal, which they do very well. My question is, if Oakland shuts down Powell's shooters, can they rely on their defense and some timely baskets inside to win a low scoring affair? Oakland has won most of their games by scoring a good bit of points, but has won their fair share of games in the 40's

Powell has a decent inside game. It's not like they can't get inside baskets. Powell had success inside against both Maryville and Dobyns Bennett, who both had 6'8" and 6'6" posts. In my opinion, Oakland has an advantage inside against Powell, but if the big boy buys a good head fake, he may end up in early foul trouble. Conner and Seymore are both effective inside players. Powell's big concerns should be 1) containing Allen, who is a stud, and 2) limiting Oakland's second-chance opportunities. If, and that's a big if, Powell does those two things, they will have a good chance to win the game.