OCCHS' NEW HEADMAN

treefitty74

dyersburg just got back from vandy 7 on 7.....

there was about 27 teams......

notes:

1. dburg was without 2 starters - caldwell and whitfield...

2. dburg got their revenge on david lipscomb.......

3. in the tourney...dburg got beat by tourney champion hillsboro by 6

4. dburg had tourney runner up franklin on the ropes, got beat by 2 points....

5. at the end dburg was ranked 6....not bad since there were some pretty dog gone good teams there...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was a waste of time.....then why was there 30 teams participating?

of those 30 teams....most are just like you said....they don't even pass that much during the game.....

wonder why powerhouses like david lipscomb, franklin, hillsboro go?

7 on 7 is better than sitting at home with a bag of chips, drinking a dr pepper, and watching tv!

Coach Bowling always took OC to camps over the summer. They always held there own at Vanderbilt. He took them to one at Mississippi State a few years ago agaisnt some of the top teams in the country. Even though he doesn't pass much, it still helps going up agaisnt some of the top teams in the state.

QUOTE(rebelpride04 @ Jun 8 2007 - 05:08 AM) 826472821[/snapback]Beileve me I think 7 on 7 football passing isn't gonna help bowling out any in the offense I don't know why he is even going. Waste of time! They will pass 5 times a game at the most.

Let's see, now...7 on 7 passing contests. If one team is throwing the ball then....I'll bet the other, defensive skeleton is defending the pass! Could that be another factor in why teams go to 7-on-7 drills? Does anyone think that Bowling and Dyersburg will only DEFEND A PASS 5 times a game? Does anyone see that a 7-on-7 drill might help a dropping LB or a CB in addition to a QB and a wideout?

Here is a list of teams who chose to "waste" their time at the 7-on-7 at Vanderbilt. There are several state champions in this list--from states other than Tennessee, as well.

From Tennessee...

Antioch

Brentwood Academy

Clarksville

Cookeville

CPA

David Lipscomb

Dyersburg

Ensworth

Ezell-Harding

Franklin

Greenbrier

Heritage

Hillsboro

Independence

Lavergne

MBA

Ravenwood

Smith County

Springfield

Stratford

Sycamore

From Alabama

Charles Henderson High

Greene County

From Arkansas

Pulaski Academy

From Kentucky

Lone Oak

From Missouri

Hazelwood East

From Illinois

East St.Louis High

QUOTE(mg @ Jun 7 2007 - 09:05 PM) 826472711[/snapback]dyersburg just got back from vandy 7 on 7.....

there was about 27 teams......

notes:

1. dburg was without 2 starters - caldwell and whitfield...

2. dburg got their revenge on david lipscomb.......

3. in the tourney...dburg got beat by tourney champion hillsboro by 6

4. dburg had tourney runner up franklin on the ropes, got beat by 2 points....

5. at the end dburg was ranked 6....not bad since there were some pretty dog gone good teams there...

And i hear McLin was one of the most talked about receivers at the camp. Heard Vandy's head coach came to see him role IN PERSON. And that McLin and Rashad Taylor was asked for info from another college scout.

QUOTE(balla210 @ Jun 10 2007 - 02:35 PM) 826473561[/snapback]And i hear McLin was one of the most talked about receivers at the camp. Heard Vandy's head coach came to see him role IN PERSON. And that McLin and Rashad Taylor was asked for info from another college scout.

a dyersburg coach told me that they were looking at 4 kids Taylor,Mclin, Ellis,and Click. Taylor and Mcline will be seniors!!!!! look out region 7

McLin hasn't caught a pass since 9th grade......And is rated one of the top 50 players in the state in Basketball...... Like I said if he were my kid, no way would I take a chance on getting a knee messed up.... But that being said..... 6-5 basketball players (especially those who's game are based on low post play) are very common....on the other hand 6-5 WR"S who can run and catch are PRETTY SOUGHT AFTER.....And McLin has the frame to GET BIGGER AND STRONGER....

FOOTBALL is a lot of kids meal ticket and they don't even know it.........Remember Don Mann?.....And how great a player he was?......He played ONE SEASON OF FOOTBALL AT DMS......And was a TB.....And to this day James "Bubba" Cobb who is the longtime girls basketball( and coached football for YEARS) will tell you : Don Mann was the best TB to ever come through DMS..... yet he never put the pads on again after 7th grade...Think he wouldn't have made a heck of a tb?.....Only 13 men make a college basketball squad through scholarships.....And who many scholarships open up a year for Basketball?.....Think about it....While most football teams sign anywhere from 20 to 22 players a year.....

And playing D-1 basketball... And I'm not talking playing UT-Martin or Bethel....I am talking Memphis, Tennessee, Arkansas, SEC SCHOOLS.....Start counting and name the number of BASKETBALL players you have seen go BIG-TIME..... I graduated in the 70's.....And not counting the Memphis area....You can probably name all the kids from around here who have gone big time on TWO Hands in the last 25 years.......Carlos Clark, ( Fayette Ware, Ole Miss and The Celtics)....Cannon Whitby( OCCHS and Arkansas)....Tony Delk (Haywood, Kentucky and journyman NBA player)....Trey Pearson ( South Fulton, Ole Miss/Murray State where he eventually was dismissed for being an idiot) man, that guy was the best ALL AROUND PLAYER I ever saw.....And you had Kemp and Chism at Bolivar..... And who else from this area... The Delks at Mississippi State and The Vanardo Kid from Haywood who is at Mississippi State... And last one of the best low post players I ever saw : Jason Johnson(Dyersburg) who I believe would have gone to a BIGGER SCHOOL than Tennessee State University had he not been dating a local automobile dealership owner's daughter.....

So who knows?.....Maybe McLin will draw some attention....On the gridiron as well as the hardwood.... But his grades BETTER BE IN ORDER.... Because if the grades aren't in order... Then it's the juco route or Prep School... And since the rules have changed on prep schools then who knows on that....