OCCHS' NEW HEADMAN

treefitty74

QUOTE(LU_the_Eagle @ Mar 20 2007 - 01:26 AM) 826418158[/snapback]Have ya'll heard anything about more coaches being hired yet or maybe what coach decker will be doing?

Right now, Coach Decker is running workouts with the team along with Coach Gambling....Coach Driggers has brought some guys up there, but I've not see them yet....

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Little Joe @ Mar 13 2007 - 08:47 AM) 826409993[/snapback]Hate to hear that OCCHS still has not lost their touch getting rid of good coaches... Decker should consider Dyersburg since I think they still have an opening on staff, his wife already teaches there & their kids would do good in that environment....No doubt, they'd love to have him....

Just to set the record straight we didn't "get rid" of Coach Bowling. He chose to leave Obion Central for Dyersburg. I know part of it was financial, but for the most part it was to work with the better athletes. I'm a Rebel fan to the core,but I'm not blind. We have never been blessed with the athletes like Dyersburg,Crockett Co., Covington, or Haywood. We have a bunch of gritty,hard nosed kids who give it there all. This program has come a long way in the last seven to eight years. We have gotten to the point where we can compete with every team we play. Teams cannot just show up and get a win without having a battle. You have to crawl before you walk. Things are going in the right direction, it just needs some stability.

QUOTE(rebfan65 @ Mar 21 2007 - 10:54 PM) 826419967[/snapback]Just to set the record straight we didn't "get rid" of Coach Bowling. He chose to leave Obion Central for Dyersburg. I know part of it was financial, but for the most part it was to work with the better athletes. I'm a Rebel fan to the core,but I'm not blind. We have never been blessed with the athletes like Dyersburg,Crockett Co., Covington, or Haywood. We have a bunch of gritty,hard nosed kids who give it there all. This program has come a long way in the last seven to eight years. We have gotten to the point where we can compete with every team we play. Teams cannot just show up and get a win without having a battle. You have to crawl before you walk. Things are going in the right direction, it just needs some stability.

Your not lying about stabilty....It would be nice if we could keep a coach for more than 4 years.....They are going to have to start paying our coach, so that we can keep a good one in place....One thing for sure about Coach Driggers, from what I've seen, is that he is not going to take no for an answer and he's gonna make that team winners....I can already tell from watching workouts.....I'm pretty sure another asssistant has been hired....He coached at Mckenzie and South Side I'm not sure about his name though....Good luck to the Rebels!!! I wish them the best!!!

Well I played for Obion Central. I played one year for Coach Shanks, two for coach Hill, and one for coach Bowling. Well that's the main problem at Obion Central. They can't keep a coach. You have kids learning different systems every season it gets pretty tough. I love Obion Central and I still go and watch them play every time I can get back from college. Coach Decker has been around to see what made Obion Central successful, and it was stupid not offering him the job. Playing for him I saw his passion for football and what Obion County Central meant to him. Out of every coach I played for he was the one that got you the most motivated cause he played on that same field we were playing on. Obviously the administration's strategy on how they keep coaches isn't the best I would probaly change the strategy. If coach Decker leaves it is a big loss to obion central, but if he does I don't blame him a bit. Central needs a little bit of every coach I played for when I was in highschool. You are not going to take a team that have no speed and run sweeps, and speeds every play. Outsmart them! I am not a coach yet but in a couple of years I hope to be. Central needs that spread out offense. They need to be disciplined so they run every play precise and and at full speed. You might have a bunch of white boys but no matter what defense you run it's hard to cover it in high school football, believe me I witnessed it. I think it should be more balanced than when coach hill was there but run when you need to. Coach Bowling was an awsome coach and probaly one of the nicest guys I ever met. He needs a team like Dyersburg to run the offense he runs. Shanks was hardnosed run your butt off, and knock each others heads off. Central needs the long practices and discipline to motivate them and get every play perfect. We have never had and more than likely never will have a scat back that carries the team on his shoulders, so everybody has to do their job to get it done. I hope this new coach at Central comes in and is real big in motivating players cause after all the coaches leaving them they need a little bit of it. I also hope he don't settle for mediocrity and make Obion Cental the team to beat again. Good Luck Guys!

I think Bowling did a pretty good job of coaching at OC.....He came into a tough situation with OC being an all-out passing team....OC has moved the ball pretty well over the last 6 years,but what has beat them is a lack of defense..You can't go out and have to beat a team 42-39 every game...Defense wins championships..It's fun to watch,but it's not championship football.....The new coach will have to instill more than toughness in his defensive players,he will have to be able to to teach and get his players to understand his philosophy...His players will have to be football savvy....I agree stability is a big thing....Bowling stayed at OC four years...For OC that is stability....The region OC plays in is really strong....Every region week the Rebels are faced with a team with more pure athletes...The way you beat that is with almost perfect execution on both sides of the ball......

• 5 weeks later...

The new coach at Obion Central has almost completed his first staff......Jason Driggers has named Eric Knott,John Gurschick and Mark Rich as assistants.....The only hold-over from former coach Darren Bowling's staff is John Hart who came to OC last year.....These men replace Tony Lester,Paul Decker and Richard Gamblin who have been long-time assistants with Rebels.....

Driggers of course has been an assistant at Jackson South Side and OC is his first head coaching job.....Knott comes to Troy from Camden where he was an assistant under Kevin Ward for three seasons....He has also had stints at Westview and Peabody.....Gurschick has been out of the coaching game the last two years but has experience as an assistant from 2001-04 at West Carroll High School.....Rich has spent the last couple of years at West Carroll serving as an assistant to his cousin,WCHS head man Chris Rich....He also served as the head coach of the junior high at WC......These are all young guys....Knott-35,Gurschick-32 and Rich-27...Driggers is 30....Driggers says he will hire one more assistant and that coach will work with the freshmen as well as the varsity.....

OC will start Spring Practice this coming Wednesday and will participate in two scrimmages....May 11th against Westview and then they will conclude spring work with a scrimmage against Lake County on May 17th at 6:00 pm....

OC will open their season with a Week Zero game at Driggers' old team Jackson South Side....Other non-region opponents this season include Lone Oak,Ky.,who the Rebels have scrimmaged the last couple of seasons....Brighton returns to the schedule after they moved up to 4A and out of OC's region and then the annual county rivalry game against Union City....

Good Luck to the Rebels as they start a new era in their football history......

*Info from the Friday April 27th Sports Edition of The Messenger*

I don't know how it ended because I got there late and left early,but Westview was leading Obion Central 5 TD's to 0....The offense looked like one that is trying to figure out a new system.....There is some experience,but with the loss of 15 seniors who had played two and sometimes three years,the Rebels are pretty green....Westview looked to have plenty of athletes again.....OC plays again May 17th against Lake County at 6pm............