Shot clock in Tennessee HS basketball

Asking anyone to play lock-down man to man defense for more than 35 seconds is a trmendous task. It is ridiculous to say that because someone is in favor of a shot clock that they are lazy and don't want to play defense. As a coach, and one who takes great pride in defense, few things are more satisfying than a five second call or a shot-clock violation.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you that oppose the shot clock so much and continue to state things like, "they should still be focusing on fundamentals and not how quickly they shoot," could understand that just as many fundamentals can be practiced using the shot clock, just on the defensive end of floor. It is much more reasonable to ask a player to play sound defense for a set amount of time rather than having them try to stay awake while the opposition stalls he ball. What are we preparing these kids for anyway? If you have potential college players on your team, why would you not try to help them get prepared for that next level by putting in place a shot clock that may allow slightly more time than in the college ranks? At first I really wasn't sure that I would be in favor of something like this but the more I began to think about it, the more I began to realize that in my opinion there are far more pros than cons.

QUOTE(old44 @ Mar 16 2007 - 09:46 AM) 826414033[/snapback]So you don't think that teaching kids to make good passes, hit foul shots, handle the ball, be patient on offense, and listen to and respect their coach is getting them ready to play college ball?!?!?! Bless your heart, you need a little lesson in basketball fundamentals. That's what the game is all about.

Like I said old44 just watched the game and said what i saw. Looks like a lot of people saw it my way so i guess we all need a lesson in fundamentals. The only ones i read that saw it your way were Gleason fans. You must be a coach who has 25 years experince to be so smart about the game. You dont have to bless my heart sir God does a pretty good job of that.

If a coach is that intent on preparing his or her players for college then they will support the shot clock fully. It will help them to make the adjusment in the overall speed of the college game. Watchin some televised games, you see how unprepared some of the freshmen are when they first play in a college game(not all, but quite a few.) And, no, a shot clock is not going to teach them to shoot too quickly, that is a ridiculous assumption. If a team is taught good defense, then they shouldnt even have to worry about stalling. Even playing with a thirty second time as it is in college, that is an AMPLE amount of time to run the offense. Most teams dont hold the ball more than 15-20 seconds anyways. And before anyone starts attacking me, i have nothing to do with Oliver Springs OR Gleason. I just think the Shot Clock would help the overall high school game.

GLeason was the better team that played by the rules and beat everyone playing by the rules. My guess is that the other coaches new the rules and did not prepare their teams as well as GLeason. We have not had a shot clock ever in High school and the other schools could have employed the same game plan but chose not to and lost. I hav ecoached several years of basketball and it is common knowledge that the team with the best players would want more posessions and the team with less athletes would want less posessions. Well better defenses causes more turnovers so play better defense. by the way, someone suggested that a shot clock would better prepare athletes for college. No, only about 1% of high school girls go on to play college basketball. That makes a poor argument, I guess we should consider taking out the 10 second violation in girls basketball as well. A shot clock does nothing accept force a team to take bad shots, not exciting at all, matter a fact, that makes for bad basketball. As a coach, I stress good shot selection and a shot clock would not help that at all. A shot clock would only make for more up and down the court action and would not neccesarily put more points on the board. There is so much more to basketball than shooting and that is all that some of you are interested in seeing. What about being able to take care of the basketball against such tough defenses, that is impressive in its own right. Being able to turn an offensive play over and over when there is nothing the defense can do about it is pretty good stuff and it takes discipline to do that.

QUOTE(lightning II @ Mar 23 2007 - 12:12 PM) 826421003[/snapback]Like I said old44 just watched the game and said what i saw. Looks like a lot of people saw it my way so i guess we all need a lesson in fundamentals. The only ones i read that saw it your way were Gleason fans. You must be a coach who has 25 years experince to be so smart about the game. You dont have to bless my heart sir God does a pretty good job of that.

Actually, as a former player and coach, i've only got about 22 years invested, so I may be wrong about some things. The prophet got it right. Coaches do not coach to please the crowd, but to try to win games with the resources at hand.

Glad to hear about your heart.