TSSAA 9 Game Season Proposal

riverrat

QUOTE(noonesfool @ Mar 14 2007 - 10:37 PM) 826412359[/snapback]9 games would not only hurt Football but your other sports. I would guess that at most schools the last 2 home games probably pay for most other sports. With 9 games, every other year you will only have 4 home games. The answer is to reduce the playoffs by one game. With the number 1's getting a bye while the 2s and 3's play. If the T$$AA really want to collect another 18% they can have a Thursday night Bowl Game between the 2 4th's at a neutral site.

1) Cuts the season 1 week

2) like most other sports it protects the number 1's

3) does not cut funding at schools

4) It helps with fall/winter sports overlaps

5) most 1st round games are mismatches and poorly attended unless you are DB. Just kidding

I have no problem dropping a game out of the playoffs, but giving the #1 a first round bye is a bad idea that the TSSAA has already learned its lesson about(hopefully). The first year we went to 5 classifications this was done and a LARGE number of the #1 seeds lost following the bye week. Taking the top two teams would be ok and would make the regular season that much more important, but then you lose out on the occasional Livinston Academy(4th seed winning out).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be in the minority but, I think the no activity during the summer is a good idea. However, I think a one week allowance for a basketball camp should be allowed. Too much pressure is on these coaches today to win, so they are wanting to practice their teams 24/7/365. It's gotten out of hand. I think the time off is great! Way to go TSSAA! But you will NEVER see a drop in Football games to 9...NEVER!

QUOTE(hdrider @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826419194[/snapback]I may be in the minority but, I think the no activity during the summer is a good idea. However, I think a one week allowance for a basketball camp should be allowed. Too much pressure is on these coaches today to win, so they are wanting to practice their teams 24/7/365. It's gotten out of hand. I think the time off is great! Way to go TSSAA! But you will NEVER see a drop in Football games to 9...NEVER!

Pressure is what one makes of it! The coaches know what the time commitment is when they accept the position to coach high school athletics. What many of them find out is that they are not prepared to coach and don't have the skills necessary to be successful so they "RETIRE" at an early age to spend more time with their family. The problem that I have is when they retire from coaching they don't retire from teaching and relinquish the academic slot so that the schools stystem may hire another coach/teacher.

QUOTE(cbg @ Mar 21 2007 - 09:43 AM) 826419232[/snapback]Pressure is what one makes of it! The coaches know what the time commitment is when they accept the position to coach high school athletics. What many of them find out is that they are not prepared to coach and don't have the skills necessary to be successful so they "RETIRE" at an early age to spend more time with their family. The problem that I have is when they retire from coaching they don't retire from teaching and relinquish the academic slot so that the schools stystem may hire another coach/teacher.

Plenty of undeserved pressure comes from the community. The reason they dont give up the "academic slot", typically the head coach of a major sport is not in an ACADEMIC class. They are teaching drivers ed, P. E., study hall, or overseeing ISS (in school suspension). They have no papers to grade and they have no lesson plan to prepare. Their evenings are for the field/court. Those slots dont turn over. Once they stop coaching they have lots of extra time with no need for prep time for the classroom.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(hdrider @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:11 AM) 826419194[/snapback]I may be in the minority but, I think the no activity during the summer is a good idea.

Oh yeah; there are so many other things to indulge in w/ "no sports activity for the summer" such as drugs, drinking, or stayin out all hours of the night to see how much trouble you can get in. Now of course not all of the kids would do these negative things as some would have jobs or be on vacation w/ their families for most of the summer; however there would be a certain % that would go the wrong route. I played 4 years in high school and worked in the summer and had plenty of time to spend w/ my family on vacations or what not. We had the passing league and summer workouts; it kept us occupied, dedicated, and really gave us a great head start heading into the season. To me if 1 kid gets off track w/ any of the negative possibilities then that is too much and not worth the change.

Keep the season at 10 games.....Start Labor Day Weekend and cut the playoff teams from the top four of a region to the top two......Bring back the bowls and limit participants in the bowl games to at least 6 game winners....Stop rewarding 5-5,4-6,3-7 and 2-8 teams for being mediocre to awful football teams.....The playoffs are wayyyyy to watered down right now....

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Apr 2 2007 - 03:23 PM) 826428384[/snapback]Keep the season at 10 games.....Start Labor Day Weekend and cut the playoff teams from the top four of a region to the top two......Bring back the bowls and limit participants in the bowl games to at least 6 game winners....Stop rewarding 5-5,4-6,3-7 and 2-8 teams for being mediocre to awful football teams.....The playoffs are wayyyyy to watered down right now....

Amen /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />