true sportmanship

The Zon

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Whitey @ Mar 15 2007 - 05:42 AM) 826412512[/snapback]My understanding of the rules is that when a player intentionally puts the ball into his own goal, the result is not a goal but a corner kick. Clarification .....

Never heard that. But I know if it's unintentional, and i assume intentional, it's a goal.

True sportsmanship, yea. But honestly, don't know if i could, much less would, have done that if i was that coach. And don't know what'd id think if i heard that.

But very good by the coach.

QUOTE(Cheamilion @ Mar 15 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826412880[/snapback]Never heard that. But I know if it's unintentional, and i assume intentional, it's a goal.

True sportsmanship, yea. But honestly, don't know if i could, much less would, have done that if i was that coach. And don't know what'd id think if i heard that.

But very good by the coach.

Point of clarification: if the ball is kicked (free kick whether direct or indirect) or thrown (throw in) into one's goal from a "dead ball" situation, the restart is with a corner kick awarded to the other team and not a goal. In this case, it was part of the play and therefore treated like an "own goal."

However, where one could get into trouble is if the goal has any affect on league standings where goals scored or allowed might be used as a tie breaker for league and tournament play. In this case, a third party team not involved in this game might have an excuse to protest or challenge the reult.

Ok let me chime in here briefly. I was at the game. The JV game was as good as any other varsity game given the caliber of the players and the play was fast. I know the referees. Both are experienced, one even a college referee and were asked last minute to do the game. So here is what really happened. There were 2 refs on the field, doing a dual system. If anyone knows about the dual you have to know that both referees are pretty far apart and give up the middle. Apparently on the Farragut attack, the ball was going in the goal. The trail referee who was 50 yards away told me he thought the ball was going in the goal, then looked away briefly. Next thing he realized was the ball was out of the net and the near referee was in a better position to make the call, and he (the near referee) awarded a goal kick. The Farragut coach took exception and play was restarted. After the restart, you cant go back and change the call. The Catholic coach asked the keeper a few minutes later to toss the ball in the goal. So he did. Referees make mistakes, even very good ones.

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Mar 16 2007 - 03:38 PM) 826414282[/snapback]I take back 92% of what I've said about Catholic!

/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

I don't think I can take any more of this. The next thing will be someone wishing the Irish good luck. I'm just not used to this and I wish Peter could just take the goal back from Wallie and let the game be decided by a good old fashioned ref mistake. That, I'm used to! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(Hoya @ Mar 16 2007 - 02:06 PM) 826414298[/snapback]/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

I don't think I can take any more of this. The next thing will be someone wishing the Irish good luck.

Good luck, Irish.

QUOTE(Hoya @ Mar 16 2007 - 02:06 PM) 826414298[/snapback]/unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

I don't think I can take any more of this. The next thing will be someone wishing the Irish good luck. I'm just not used to this and I wish Peter could just take the goal back from Wallie and let the game be decided by a good old fashioned ref mistake. That, I'm used to! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You're the 8%!

QUOTE(BigG @ Mar 16 2007 - 04:10 PM) 826414301[/snapback]Good luck, Irish.

See. Now look what's happened! /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Okay, I have been reading all the post and just want to ask a question? First let me say that what the Catholic team choose to do showed sportmanship but here is my concern. You are playing a game, maybe the state chamionship the score is 1-1, and the opposing team makes a shot on goal, your keeper sweeps it out of the goal and knows that it fully crossed the goal line, the Center and the AR not being right on top of the ball to see do not award a goal. The team is in an up roar. Do you then a few minutes later throw the ball into the goal? Probably not. So why is this any different. What I see has happened is that although a goal may or may not have been scored in the Catholic-Farragut game the call by the ref was a goal kick and all participants (players, coaches and fans) should have accepted that. It may not have been the right call but it should have stood. I see this as showing disrespect for the ref and his/her postioin on the field. Is this really what we want to teach our children. Sometimes it shows more sportmanship to accept what has been called on the field in a dignified manner even when it go against us.

Thanks for listening!

QUOTE(sccrmun3 @ Mar 16 2007 - 04:23 PM) 826414455[/snapback]Sometimes it shows more sportmanship to accept what has been called on the field in a dignified manner even when it go against us.

Thanks for listening!

While I understand your point, the thing is, it didn't go against him... it actually was in his favor to accept the goal kick. My hat is off to him. I just want to know if he would do it during the CAK Catholic district game! /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> (Which in all honesty, I think he would, because he is that type of coach)