TSSAA Sports Calender

my2cents

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hogwash. First of all, they should have no say in what athletes do in non-school events, summer softball, AAU basketball, etc. On the limits on players on a team, say a team is following the rule and has five players from a high school team, five others from other schools. What if a couple from the other schools are unable to attend a tournament for some reason, is it illegal to have pickups for the weekend from the first school? Forfeit because of the five player rule? That makes no sense. Not allowing players to hit at a school facility until a certain date only benefits private facilities that charge for it, and some players can't easily travel to a private facility anyway. It will certainly hurt basketball, some areas have no inside courts except at schools. It's not surprising four of the five voting for it are from midsized to large cities, where I'm sure there's no shortage of indoor courts.

They will start next year, later I want to make some comments that was told to me by members on the council. The MTSCA tried to let people know what was going to take place........now we will have to live with it. Basketball also got hit really hard, as well. But when people dont stand up this is what happens, like I told people before the little schools will be hurt the most! I will say this that one council member who told me out of his own mouth that he would not vote for it did vote for it, now it makes you wonder if you could ever trust him again!

QUOTE(cobracoach @ Mar 15 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826413473[/snapback]They will start next year, later I want to make some comments that was told to me by members on the council. The MTSCA tried to let people know what was going to take place........now we will have to live with it. Basketball also got hit really hard, as well. But when people dont stand up this is what happens, like I told people before the little schools will be hurt the most! I will say this that one council member who told me out of his own mouth that he would not vote for it did vote for it, now it makes you wonder if you could ever trust him again!

I understand that it starts next year....but is does next year start this summer with regard to the additional dead period.

Just a little clarification on my interpretation of these rules: A travel softball team is only permitted to have a total of five players who will be playing high school ball together on the same team the following season. Is this correct?

If so, someone needs to inform TSSAA that this is not a communist society and we don't need them regulating what our kids do away from school.......This is ridiculous!

QUOTE(cascade11 @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:57 AM) 826415194[/snapback]Just a little clarification on my interpretation of these rules: A travel softball team is only permitted to have a total of five players who will be playing high school ball together on the same team the following season. Is this correct?

If so, someone needs to inform TSSAA that this is not a communist society and we don't need them regulating what our kids do away from school.......This is ridiculous!

The only thing difference from your interpretation is that it does not apply during the summer, but it does apply when the schools are in session. What that does with schools on year round who start the end of July and end the 1st or 2nd week of June means the girls would only have about 6 weeks where they could play together. It completely takes away any fall ball for these girls, or tournaments in the fall. I agree it is probably a lawsuit waiting to happen, when the TSSAA starts telling girls what they can do during their own time.

QUOTE(cobracoach @ Mar 15 2007 - 09:04 PM) 826413473[/snapback]They will start next year, later I want to make some comments that was told to me by members on the council. The MTSCA tried to let people know what was going to take place........now we will have to live with it. Basketball also got hit really hard, as well. But when people dont stand up this is what happens, like I told people before the little schools will be hurt the most! I will say this that one council member who told me out of his own mouth that he would not vote for it did vote for it, now it makes you wonder if you could ever trust him again!

Like I said in the baseball forum--Coaches are to blame for all the changes--TSSAA had to do something.

Basketball needed to be hit hard--they started all this mess years ago with AAU Basketball--now everyone is paying the price.

QUOTE(Hoganknows @ Mar 17 2007 - 06:30 PM) 826415566[/snapback]Like I said in the baseball forum--Coaches are to blame for all the changes--TSSAA had to do something.

Basketball needed to be hit hard--they started all this mess years ago with AAU Basketball--now everyone is paying the price.

Except AAU basketball...