TSSAA Makes changes

pedo_29

QUOTE(BallFourBaseHit @ Mar 15 2007 - 03:35 PM) 826413155[/snapback]That is just great ... have the morons at TSSAA compared these wonderful resolutions to other states? Do they realize that the net effect will be that our kids will fall behind the development of kids from other states as well as from the rich kids in TN? Do they even care what the implications will be for college scholarships?

All they've done is given the independent - and ridiculously expensive - club teams opportunity to expand.

If you're from a family who finds it impossible to shell out $2000 for a top-flight summer or fall program, you're out of luck. Way to go TSSAA - always looking out for the little guy -- you've even just given these folks a free pass to jack up prices! The TSSAA just gave us a lesson in supply and demand: sports academies and private facilities now have less competition.

That's OK ... the kids from families with higher incomes ... the ones who can afford these programs ... they'll gladly shell it out. An oh yeah, they'll also appreciate the advantage they'll have in playing time ... since they will develop better skills quicker than their poorer classmates. And their parents, who can more easily afford college tuition, will appreciate the advantage their kids will get when competing for athletic scholarships.

How naive for us to think it a good thing to pay our high school coaches a couple hundred dollars a player to teach, mentor and coach our kids in the summer. Boy ... am I ever glad that the TSSAA put a stop to that criminal behavior. Sorry coach, it's back to working the early shift at UPS during the summer for you!

And another thing ... if student-athletes have less days to work out, just what does the TSSAA think is going to happen to the length of practices when teams can finally get together? There goes that quality family time.

Business tip - buy stock in your local health club - there will be a spike in memberships - paid by boosters who want to help kids succeed.

TSSAA - are you just plain ignorant or what? Everyone in the world knows that the best way to keep kids from gangs, drugs, alcohol abuse, premarital sex, and a host of other distractions is to keep them busy doing things they love that are good for them. So what do you do? You give them more free time to get in trouble. Let's give them more time where they have no accountability to teammates or to coaches. Let's keep fooling ourselves that mom and dad will be taking them out on vacation. Sorry ... mom and dad are busy working multiple jobs with split shirts just to keep from defaulting on mortgages so they can pay minimum payments on their credit cards.

Just what does TSSAA stand for anyways? Tennessean Stupidity Stifling Athletic Achievement?

Morons ... just a bunch of morons!!

Nice piece of work huh??? I totally agree with you. Let me tell ya how they treat the radio guys that cover sports in Tennessee. These are stations that may have a school in their area in the high school basketball state. I covered Columbia a few years ago all the way through the district and sectional. I interviewed coaches and players and had stories on our station. When they got to Murphy Center i went up to cover them and these idots would not let me in to use their table, gets stats, etc. in the press area. They said since i was not broadcting live there was no room. well this has happened to me on several occasions....i went and bought a ticket and set in the seat. during the game i looked down on the sidelines and there was 17 empty seats at the press tables. on the other hand they also let the nashville tv stations in free to shot clips of the game to run on their newscasts. the tssaa in stopping me from doing MY JOB that im PAID TO DO. Im getting set to talk to Tom DuBois (state rep) about how they operate. another thing if our station wanted to carry Culleoka this year we couldn't because we didnt carry any basketball this year.........this rule hurts no one except the players and their fans. we did get some calls about the games and we decided to carry the terrible state tourney play by play network. im NOT through with them!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

>>> c. Reduction in the number of contests for all sports except football,

>>> soccer and volleyball.

What makes this sports 'special'?

These sports are not special, they just don't have as many games as other sports. Excluding playoffs, football season is 10 games vs basketball or baseball, which may have 40 or 50 games.

I do agree that these new regulations are a lot of horse hockey. What is tssaa thinking?

QUOTE(Legends @ Mar 17 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826415399[/snapback]Maybe we are all flying off the handle!!! Be realistic if your child wants to play more than one sport he or she does it. We all make sacarfices for our kids and will continue to do so no matter what TSSAA does.

Maybe we do not have the abilities to take on TSSAA or do we??? This is something that all divisions have to do together if we dont speak up then changes like this will continue.

If you child elects to play more than one sport he or she does it and is not practicing two or three sports with the school at a time because THEY can't do it. They all have their own interest and if they elect to do it then why not??? Alot of these kids play because they want to. Alot of them this is their last chance to play a sport the love when they go to college its over High Shcool is it!!!

How many of you are MAKING your child play?

By the time they reach this age either they want to play or they quit. I know at the High School here, NO kids are told that they have to choose only one sport. If they play more than one thats when they have no down time. They end one sport and start they next one the every next day.

Its time to let the right people hear us and not just talking on Coach T anyone can do that if you are serious then take action and let the ones that make these decision know how you feel. Don't wait on someone else to do it. If you want changes then don't just talk about it. Get the facts and address each one.

If you really think coaches don't discourage kids from playing other sports, you are very naive. It happens all the time, I know for a fact it has happened at our school with basketball players who also wanted to play baseball or football, but were talked out of it by the basketball coach, who, incidentally, is one of those who makes the kids practice year-round.

I just want to add a few points on this..first i KNOW my son WILL NOT play in college...I KNOW my son IS NOT A GREAT player however ...my son WANTS to play baseball there were time he was frustrated and wanted to quit sure but he did not quit and he kept working hard to get on the feild...what this rule does is it helps your hitting coaches and club ks and place like that because now that is where those kids will have to go and those with money will do so and those without money wont so those with money will get better and those without money will fall by the wayside they wont get any help from coaches because it is ILLEGAL so we have built these indoor facilities to help build a PROGRAM instead of a team and now it is a problem.

As far as spening time with parents ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!! more parents are at that game watching their kids play. now if the kid wasnt playing where would that kid be then ?...hmmmmm hangin out at home with mom and dad or going out with freinds getting into potential trouble? I think we all know the honest answer to that. while playing sports they have time to be kids but at the same time they need to learn responsebilities i learned it by working 40 hours a week at HARDEES i hope my son has learned it by playing the game of BASEBALL

as far as playing more than 1 sport...if you think coaches will stop wanting their kids to only play their sport then you are crazy this rule will not change that. some coaches dont care and some coaches do and the rule wont change their feelings in anyway

Folks

I've done enough digging and searching over the past few days and here's some stuff I've discovered.

Here's how the dead period will be handled

Basketball's dead period will be the three weeks of fall practice and three weeks following the end of their season.

Spring Sports Dead period are the three weeks of fall practice and the three weeks of basketball practice.

Footballs new dead period is the three weeks following the conclusion of their season.

Fall Practice Period is July 30-August 18

Basketball Practice Period is October 31-Nov. 20

50 Percent Rule

This in no way, shape or form affects anything that happens in the summer. It does effect participation on these teams during the school year that occurs prior to the start of a season. This means fall baseball is a no-no, as are the many programs who used rec. leagues/YMCA leagues as glorified team camps/practice sessions for basketball. It does allow spring AAU basketball, which seems to give fall baseball the shaft.

I anticipate some high school softball/baseball programs will do a co-op to get around the rules.

Open Facilities Rule for Spring Sports

Conditioning can still occur.

This rule could be broken as to what conditioning work would be applied as.

I also saw somewhere where things could still occur, according to the USJ coach, but I cant find that article at present.

If you have complaints, I'd suggest calling your schools principal or AD - or one of the legislative council members. No one in the TSSAA offices had any voting control over this new calendar. And I've seen some folks say the TSSAA cant control what parents and their children do in the summer. That is true, but, the TSSAA can control what the school does in the summer - and with those rulings, that is what they have done.

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 17 2007 - 08:52 PM) 826415758[/snapback]I just want to add a few points on this..first i KNOW my son WILL NOT play in college...I KNOW my son IS NOT A GREAT player however ...my son WANTS to play baseball there were time he was frustrated and wanted to quit sure but he did not quit and he kept working hard to get on the feild...what this rule does is it helps your hitting coaches and club ks and place like that because now that is where those kids will have to go and those with money will do so and those without money wont so those with money will get better and those without money will fall by the wayside they wont get any help from coaches because it is ILLEGAL so we have built these indoor facilities to help build a PROGRAM instead of a team and now it is a problem.

As far as spening time with parents ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!! more parents are at that game watching their kids play. now if the kid wasnt playing where would that kid be then ?...hmmmmm hangin out at home with mom and dad or going out with freinds getting into potential trouble? I think we all know the honest answer to that. while playing sports they have time to be kids but at the same time they need to learn responsebilities i learned it by working 40 hours a week at HARDEES i hope my son has learned it by playing the game of BASEBALL

as far as playing more than 1 sport...if you think coaches will stop wanting their kids to only play their sport then you are crazy this rule will not change that. some coaches dont care and some coaches do and the rule wont change their feelings in anyway

Riverdaleman,

You bring up some good points. I'm guessing the intention of the new rules is to keep the kids from feeling forced to play a sport year round. I think the TSSAA is missing the point that the kids who are dedicated to a sport want to devote as much free time to improving their skills as possible. You said your kid may or may not be very talented, but I know that the first thing that separates the kids who make it from the ones who don't is drive and dedication, and that eventually trumps natural ability, as I'm sure you know.

But for where I'm from in Clarksville, the whole year round concept is still relatively new, and I see them trying to get control of it before it gets out of hand. I graduated only 5 years ago, but we never had summer high school ball, tryouts during summer. We didn't have middle school ball then and travel teams were still pretty hard to come by. The amount of baseball these kids are getting to play now is incredible, and I only wish I would have had that opportunity. You all are right, how can we ever compete on a state level with states where the weather permits you to play year round. Now when we're running traveling teams we are having to squeeze 75 games into 75 days just for them to get the PT.

Like I said before, I'm not a fan of the summer high school teams just because of the limit exposure the kids get, but if we're hiring guys as "coaches", it seems silly to put restrictions on which months they can do their job. Seems silly.

I also don't care for the double standard that allows football to be an exception to this rule. I don't understand that one bit.

Thanks guys, we have a two sided discussion going on here. And your right about some coaches will always find a way to bend the rules and put the pressure on some kid to make a decision to play one sport. It is going on everywhere. Just look around you have AAU BB for boys and girls, travel soccer, travel volleyball, summer and fall baseball, summer and fall softball, summer passing leagues in football and weight training in all sports--enough said!!

A question for all proponents of fall baseball. Does your fall baseball team have any football, basketball or golf players on your team. If a player from one of those sports wanted to play fall baseball, how in the world would they have the time to do so. These new rules as I read them don't seem that bad.

Baseballers can still throw anytime during the fall. They can hit anywhere they want to, THEY JUST CAN'T HAVE A COACH PRESENT BECAUSE HE WOULD INSTRUCT THEM IN THEIR FLAWS AND THAT IS CHEATING.

Simple solution, set up a video camera and tape the session. Get the tape to the coach and let him make comments to the player while sitting at the lunch table.

QUOTE(P.A.Lin-Z @ Mar 16 2007 - 07:03 AM) 826413913[/snapback]I think it will back fire on them. I see a time when high school baseball will be for those who just see it as a hobby or something. High school teams will loose the top players. Travel ball will take over highschool baseball.

The thing that's really bad....take here in Madison Co. for example.....we (baseball booster clubs) have had to build our fields, buy and install our lights, provide for field maintinance, buy uniforms, bats, chalk, fertilzer, seed, bleachers, and the list goes on....we have to fully fund our baseball program. Why keep doing that when new baseball complexes are springing up everywhere. You could have a top flight program for what we're spending.

TSSAA is getting way out of hand. They need to be regulated......NOW!!!!

that is how it is in canada...the travel teams are where the good players go the high school teams are like rec ball teams..in fact if they play for their school and they are on a travel team...if there is a conflict travel comes first!!!that is a fact from a coach in canada

QUOTE(bobbybooshay @ Mar 18 2007 - 10:50 AM) 826416193[/snapback]A question for all proponents of fall baseball. Does your fall baseball team have any football, basketball or golf players on your team. If a player from one of those sports wanted to play fall baseball, how in the world would they have the time to do so. These new rules as I read them don't seem that bad.

Baseballers can still throw anytime during the fall. They can hit anywhere they want to, THEY JUST CAN'T HAVE A COACH PRESENT BECAUSE HE WOULD INSTRUCT THEM IN THEIR FLAWS AND THAT IS CHEATING.

Simple solution, set up a video camera and tape the session. Get the tape to the coach and let him make comments to the player while sitting at the lunch table.

during fall bal if they are playing football or somthing they are not on the team and it also gives a kid a chance to show how they can perform it is another opportunity for the kid to play in a real game and see how they do in the clutch...fall ball helped my son a lot this year he was able to show his coach that he can perfom in the clutch and get that 2 out hit or get that bunt down (although he didnt do it last night) but coach knows he can and will most of the time

QUOTE(riverdaleman @ Mar 18 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826416268[/snapback]during fall bal if they are playing football or somthing they are not on the team and it also gives a kid a chance to show how they can perform it is another opportunity for the kid to play in a real game and see how they do in the clutch...fall ball helped my son a lot this year he was able to show his coach that he can perfom in the clutch and get that 2 out hit or get that bunt down (although he didnt do it last night) but coach knows he can and will most of the time

Hey Riverdaleman! (Hope you have a great season!)

Just a few thoughts:

1. For those baseball players that play football, basketball, golf, etc., let 'em play. Yeah, it may be hard to "catch up" for baseball but they all have to make a decision before college. Let 'em enjoy whatever sport, extracurricular activity, etc. while they can. A second (Spring) tryout could ensure fair treatment.

2. For the other 60-90% that have already chosen baseball, let them play too. On their school team. Together.

3. "Family Time"? Why else do concession stands offer coffee AND candy? Why do most schools charge little if anything for kids, faculty, and coaches' families? (I know I've spent more time with my family because of baseball...)

4. Do I really need TSSAA telling me how to run my home life too?

Like I said; a few thoughts...