TEMPLE

Green_Acres

I know you Temple guys are still revelling in your glory and in no way do I want to detract from your celebrations, but what about next year's team?

In my opinion, Jeremy Sexton is the obvious leader of the team as far as his ability to score and handle the ball. He is the one I would want to bring the ball down, but, as a point guard running a team as Dee did this year, will he be able to put the points up on the board? He is probably as good a scorer right now as Seth and is a likely candidate for a Mr. Basketball finalist next year, though we all know, now, that only a public school kid from the west can actually win it.

There is a lot of young talent on the team and as i see it, the only thing that will really hurt the team next year is if they lack the same chemistry this year's team had. No one played better together this year as a team then Temple.

James Kemp hustles and works hard, shoots the three and outside shots well and takes it to the hole without fear, in spite of his short stature. But he fails to spread the ball around when he is playing point. He is fearless under pressure in make or break game situations and has a good head for what is happening.

Brandon Andrews shoots the threes as good as anyone, moves good to the basket better than James but not as good as Jeremy. He is a great asset on defense with his quickness and aggressiveness. His weakness lies in his ball handling skills. He has improved significantly over last year but still has some room to grow.

Ben Montgomery has good size and height in the post. He owns the little short bank shots on the left side but struggles with anything beyond ten feet, including the free throw line. He is definitely the guy the other team would want to foul when the clock is running out. He is not very quick on his feet at all but that is ok as long as he stays in the post. He does a good job of anticipating the feeds. I would like to see him develop some Josh Smith type post-up moves.

Kendall Peterson is very athletic. He reminds me of Erik Larson with his vertical ability. He will be strong pulling down rebounds on both ends of the court. He has a pretty jumper but it needs a little fine tuning. His biggest problem is that he looks like he is doing his own thing on the floor and not functioning as one unit with the other four guys. He needs to find the chemistry with the rest of the team.

I think that there are some other guys on the team next year that will be big contributers if they work hard during the off season.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but things change. Temple may gain a big guy. Ben Montgomery, who sat on the bench, may work really hard this summer and improve. Jeremy, Brandon, and James Kemp will all improve. I can state that as a fact. Jeremy will have to take over as a leader. With the seniors gone, he has two years to make this his team. He will come out of his shell. Even though James is small, that man is dedicated to basketball. He is in the gym 24/7. Plus, he has improved a lot.

I believe next year will be a re-building year, and Temple will struggle.Everyone has these kinds of seasons. When Jeremy, Brandon, and James are seniors, I believe they will work great as a team. Good luck to Temple next year!

Another big factor is who will coach. Temple doesn't need to settle for the first guy that comes around. It's hard to replace Templeton, Wadley, and Skogen.

PBG, I agree! The deciding factor will be the coach and as much as I hate to be negative, the administration does not really seem to have a very good track record in coach selection. I think the girls could have had better coaching this year. The girls could have at least made it to the first round but the difference was coaching.

Whoever the coach is for the boys next year will make or break the program...

How doe you replace a Templeton, Wadley, or Skogen?

Greg Brown is most qualified and the best choice but I bet they (administration) flop again.

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 19 2007 - 11:18 AM) 826417413[/snapback]Without Smith,Newson and Skogan they will struggle.....Sexton will not be able to carry them......CSAS will be tough on them next season losing only two seniors...You won't be able to count out Grace,just because of the McMasters kid

i have heard that mcmasters is leaving although the source isnt that reliable, if he does leave then Grace doesnt have a chance. but back to temple, they dont have a good leader on the team next year...yes sexton will be a senior but he is nowhere near where dee newson was this year. CSAS has ALL starters coming back next year and Dontay Hampton will be the key leader of the patriots, expect Temple to be number one and CSAS to be number two, but temple will fall and CSAS will become number one!

QUOTE(thomaschatt_pats @ Mar 19 2007 - 11:58 AM) 826417539[/snapback]i have heard that mcmasters is leaving although the source isnt that reliable, if he does leave then Grace doesnt have a chance. but back to temple, they dont have a good leader on the team next year...yes sexton will be a senior but he is nowhere near where dee newson was this year. CSAS has ALL starters coming back next year and Dontay Hampton will be the key leader of the patriots, expect Temple to be number one and CSAS to be number two, but temple will fall and CSAS will become number one!

Number one and two in what??.....CSAS should be the preseason favorite to win their district....

What is the word on McMasters??.....

QUOTE(thomaschatt_pats @ Mar 19 2007 - 12:58 PM) 826417539[/snapback]i have heard that mcmasters is leaving although the source isnt that reliable, if he does leave then Grace doesnt have a chance. but back to temple, they dont have a good leader on the team next year...yes sexton will be a senior but he is nowhere near where dee newson was this year. CSAS has ALL starters coming back next year and Dontay Hampton will be the key leader of the patriots, expect Temple to be number one and CSAS to be number two, but temple will fall and CSAS will become number one!

Actually, Sexton will only be a junior next year. He will be a different kind of leader than Dee because there is only one Dee, but he will not have any trouble being a strong leader in his own right. Don't forget that Dee improved over last year and Skogen put Dee in a place where he could showcase his abilities. Sexton has actually been playing under the radar. This year's team played as a team and they will again next year but it will be Sexton's talents showcased on the court, then.

CSAS will be tough to beat next year but I am not sure that they will be able to beat next year's team every time they meet like Temple did CSAS this year. As good as CSAS will be next year, they will not be "Temple" good.

QUOTE(backinthaoc @ Mar 19 2007 - 01:02 PM) 826417546[/snapback]Number one and two in what??.....CSAS should be the preseason favorite to win their district....

What is the word on McMasters??.....

He means Region 3.

Temple is District 5

CSAS is District 6

Congratulations Coach Skogen and Coach Brown on a great season. There was a lot of pressure on these two guys to win it all this year and they did a very nice job guiding the Crusaders to the Championship. The team next year will have some talent coming back, but I agree it will come down to coaching. Coach Brown would be the most qualified and the best fit for the job but I heard this was it for him also and that he is going to coach in Georgia next year. Im sure Temple will find someone, I just hope the continuity and rhythm can stay within the program.

Temple needs to fill the coaching vacancy with someone who has some history there, so they can keep the same system. That system works for them so they can't afford to change. Sexton will be the man, I agree. But I see Kemp running the point and dishing it out to Sexton and Andrews and to the post. Of course, Kemp can score too. Temple will need to grow up quickly if they want to play with CSAS and Grace, but I think they will. How cool would this be? Sexton, McMasters, and Hampton as next year's class A Mr. Basketball finalists? No chance, I know. But all three are great.