TEMPLE

Green_Acres

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mtnman @ Mar 27 2007 - 12:22 PM) 826424084[/snapback]They didnt have the players to play like they have in the past several years. When he played, they HAD to play good defense, slow the game down and shoot the threes. He is not insulting the present system. Give him a break.

Temple beat some pretty good teams back in the day and one one state championship. Without the Skogens, they will have to play different style, even if Sexton stays around. The game changes with your personel. Give him time.

Temple never won a state championship "back in the day" the FIRST EVER was in 2001-2002 season....

"Back in the day" in 1998 when Temple lost to Ezell Harding in triple overtime (correct me if I am wrong on the date or details) I would guess that Caleb Marcum was on the team. They lost their last regular season game at CSAS (who was then AA and would lose in the sub state) by like 30 or more points. This was pre-Skogen ball and I guess what we may see the new coach bring back.

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 27 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826424049[/snapback]Good point...

As far as "19591959"'s comment about money, I heard that they were actuall paying him a pretty good sum.

I doubt this. Where are they gonna get "good" money to pay a coach? I'd say they spend most all of their tuition money on important things like... keeping the school running. And also "good" money may mean differant things to differant to differant people. For instance he could have gotten a raise and still make less than most coaches.

QUOTE(IOWNYOU149 @ Mar 27 2007 - 12:16 PM) 826424075[/snapback]I will say he is going to have WAY more pressure on him than he even realizes...when you inherit a team like Temple who has done what I just mentioned....and just coming off a gold ball year..... that is alot of pressure...

I dont agree with there being alot of pressure. Where is the pressure going to come from? I dont think the Temple boosters are going to put a ton of pressure on him. And the Administration really cant put much pressure on a coach to win when the school is so small and with the facilities and location of the place.

Anyone know who he plans on having as an assistant? Also, I am very surprised he was hired as the AD. I would assume he does not have any sort of experience in this area. The AD job would also parrallel that of running a business which I again assume he has no prior experience. Who is he going to consult whith these matters?

QUOTE(global98 @ Mar 27 2007 - 01:42 PM) 826424147[/snapback]"Back in the day" in 1998 when Temple lost to Ezell Harding in triple overtime (correct me if I am wrong on the date or details) I would guess that Caleb Marcum was on the team. They lost their last regular season game at CSAS (who was then AA and would lose in the sub state) by like 30 or more points. This was pre-Skogen ball and I guess what we may see the new coach bring back.

it was double overtime- but everything else you have is correct??? why would anyone want to bring those days back????

anyway...as to redandwhiteforever... I think there is pressure b/c the school has had so much success in basketball, with no money, no boosters, no facilities...and they still do well....people (administration) think the basketball program doesn't need those things to have success so he will continue not to get the support he will want and need, and if basketball doesn't do well he has no excuses....I think that is pressure...cause administration expects to win, and make money from bball, so do the alumni (all 13 of them) who support the school...

19591959...Temple isn't much of a business....in fact in matters of business it is quite pitiful....He can't do any worse than what has already been done...so the only place to go is up....

QUOTE(Pasture @ Mar 27 2007 - 09:34 AM) 826423804[/snapback]I am sure Caleb will do a fine job, eventually and I agree that we need to pray for him (No, he does not have any sons, but I think he has a step-daughter).

Mrs. Pearson mentioned in the paper something about his longevity. He has never coached high school basketball. He has not ever coached longer than two years in one place. He has three years total experience. Where he has coached basketball did not have good programs. Someone mentioned earlier that he hasn't won. Those are things that concern me for a kid that is pretty much fresh out of college and probably would not have even been considered for the job if it was not for his connections. These are things that concern me considering that there were more qualified, experienced, capable candidates for the job. It has a very distinct smell of this year's girls' basketball program. I am reminded again of the adminstration's incapacity to make any kind of good decisions when it comes to the athletic program and the future direction of Temple.

What is it that excites Mrs. Pearson about the future of Temple's athletic program, it's demise?

PBG, thanks for your encouraging comments about Caleb and you are right, he will probably do a good job just from his experience from being at the school but, with the emerging talent coming back next year, I am concerned that there isn't much time and my hope was that we would have someone come in who would not try to change things around but stay in line with a proven system. I do not know if there is a better defensive team on the floor then the one we saw in Murfreesboro. The teams he referred to in the past when he was a player never won a title other than the one when he was in college.

It seems to me that a seasoned veteran was what we needed to step in and take up the fight, not an uproven kid. He really, in my opinion, does not have the credentials to be an assistant coach at the high school level much less be the AD and head boys coach.

Who were the "more qualified, experienced, capable candidates" for the job?

And, let's not knock the current administration's ability to make good decisions about the athletic program. In Dr. Pearson's 1st year Temple won region in football and state in basketball. You may think she's made some poor decisions, but so far all I'm seeing is a lot of victories. I'm not saying she's responsible for the victories, but nothing has fallen apart on her watch.

About Caleb's qualifications; sure, he hasn't coached in any championships or run any athletic departments, but who did you think Temple would get, John Wooden? For a school as tiny as Temple's, I think they did pretty well. Caleb played ball under Coach Templeton for 3 years in high school, 4 in college. And played for Wadley 1 year in high school. So he has learned basketball from 2 of the best in Chattanooga. He's coached 4 years in high school for kids who loved him. And if he brings the same intensity to his new job as he did on the basketball court, he'll do fine.

I'm excited about having Caleb at Temple. I'm sure he'll make some mistakes along the way, but so would any of us. Let's support him!

QUOTE(dadoffour @ Mar 27 2007 - 08:21 PM) 826424430[/snapback]. . . let's not knock the current administration's ability to make good decisions about the athletic program. In Dr. Pearson's 1st year Temple won region in football and state in basketball. You may think she's made some poor decisions, but so far all I'm seeing is a lot of victories. I'm not saying she's responsible for the victories, but nothing has fallen apart on her watch. . .

You're right -- Dr. Pearson really didn't have anything to do with Temple's success this year in football and basketball.

These teams were successful before she came to Temple.

I wish Caleb the best in his new position. I hope it works out for him.

QUOTE(dadoffour @ Mar 27 2007 - 10:21 PM) 826424430[/snapback]Who were the "more qualified, experienced, capable candidates" for the job?

And, let's not knock the current administration's ability to make good decisions about the athletic program. In Dr. Pearson's 1st year Temple won region in football and state in basketball. You may think she's made some poor decisions, but so far all I'm seeing is a lot of victories. I'm not saying she's responsible for the victories, but nothing has fallen apart on her watch.

About Caleb's qualifications; sure, he hasn't coached in any championships or run any athletic departments, but who did you think Temple would get, John Wooden? For a school as tiny as Temple's, I think they did pretty well. Caleb played ball under Coach Templeton for 3 years in high school, 4 in college. And played for Wadley 1 year in high school. So he has learned basketball from 2 of the best in Chattanooga. He's coached 4 years in high school for kids who loved him. And if he brings the same intensity to his new job as he did on the basketball court, he'll do fine.

I'm excited about having Caleb at Temple. I'm sure he'll make some mistakes along the way, but so would any of us. Let's support him!

First, let me just be clear and say that I support the adminstration's decision to hire Caleb and I support Caleb but I am not going to check my brain at the door. My comments are just honest opinions seasoned with honest questions and I want to make sure that they do not come across as being anti-Temple, etc. When I post I tend to be a little more (too?) direct.

As far as more qualified people for the job (Do I really have to tell anybody who they were), it seems to me that it would have been better to have had two people, one AD and one head basketball coach. Greg Brown is unquestionably better qualified to coach the basketball team than anyone else I have seen. Good players do not always make good coaches, so Caleb having played under Templeton and Wadley is not necessarily a qualification. Whereas, Greg actually sat on the bench as an assistant coach with Skogen and Wadley for three years. He head coached the varsity girls team and impressed EVERYONE with his abilities. Even Wadley said he thought Greg was probably the best up and coming coach in the area. Greg proved himself as the girls' coach last year and was selected as the boys' coach last year by people who actually knew something about what was going on. Caleb has not coached high school basketball, ever! Greg was intricately involved with the boys' success this year and was an obvious asset in winning the state title this year. So, Greg Brown, hands down, was a better pick for a boys basketball coach.

In my opinion, Scott Chastain was a better choice for the AD. He would not have been a good choice as a basketball coach. Scott pastored several churches over the course of 8-10 years or so. He has had tested experience leading people, familiarity with the nuances of setting and accomplishing goals, dealing with difficult people, navigating the different flavors of politics, fund-raising, managing a business, etc. Look at what he has already accomplished leading the football program, a program that many said was going to become defunct now has enough kids working out in the weight room to have a JV team next year. He has proven himself capable. However, he does have a few debilitating character flaws but they are minor in comparison to all the other positive assets he brings to the table.

As far as Dr. Pearson's ability to make good athletic decisions, I would really like for "IOWNYOU" to interrupt me here and insult you. Be honest with yourself. This year's success was the fruit of many years of sowing by Wadley, Beard, and Skogen. Pearson had nothing to do with it. It would have happened regardless of who the headmaster was. But let's look at the wonderful decisions she has made thus far (I already mentioned Greg and Scott). She handpicked Joe McCormick (who I like very much, by the way) to be the varsity girls' basketball coach and had two assistant coaches sitting on the bench that were more qualified and capable to the job, not to mention Greg Brown's dad who coached with Greg the previous year, who, by the way, worked with the girls all last summer and thought that he was going to be the coach by default (I guess) and was never even seriously interviewed. You had Jeff Rector (Danielle's dad) who has been an AD (He also may have been a very qualified candidate for the AD job) before and a basketball coach sitting on the bench, twiddling this thumbs (Did you happen to notice at district how much better the girls played when he led the team during Joe's absence?). Miss Gardner worked with the girls in the pre-season with some tough conditioning getting them ready to play, all for naught. Once Joe stepped in there was no more real conditioning and practice looked more like a class room lecture, the girls could not even play four quarters without looking like they were tired. They should have at least made it to the "show" this year but instead they moved on to softball a week early.

Do not even get me started on the whole Rob Eldridge thing. I know that plenty of Temple fans did not like Rob but he did a lot to promote the programs and tried to help every way he could. And he did not do a bad job at running with the flag at the Trousdale game /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> The rumor from the kids around school is that he was fired, the leadership is saying it was for financial reasons, but Pearson really just buckled under the pressure from the "Let's Go Back to Egypt" committee. There were a lot of things that Rob did that I did not like and some things he did that honestly scared me, theologically, but he loved the school and the sports programs. When the football team went 10-0 in the region, he made sure people knew about it. He was great with things like that, putting Temple on the map, like with the website. Our basketball team just won the state championship. Where is our champion to promote the school.

If Rob was let go for financial reasons (It was not like they were really paying him much anyway), then why did they hire in Caleb for a significantly larger amount of money then the teachers are making? He is making more coming in as a snot nosed punk then Wadley left making after 20+ years.

Yeah. I agree with you. We should not be too hard on the administration. After all, they are making some incredibly great decisions.

By the way, there is an incredible amount of pressure on a wet behind the ears kid who has no credible coaching experience, jumps from job to job, takes on probably the second most important role at the school, and is making a ton of money. I would say that he better be able to prove himself worthy, quickly, or daddy may be embarassed. Let us pray that he does not get on the "Let's Go Back to Egypt" committee's bad side.

Why do you say you support the decision to hire the coach and the coach at the beginning of your post, but then you obviously have a less than positive opinion of his experience and ability to do the job. I have no interest in who they hire, I am just a little confused as to the tone of your post. Do you think he will be successful next year and what is the success that he will achieve? The district? Region? Substate? State? Championships? Will he see the program go back to when he played?

The never ending bad decision saga continues.....

Does anyone out there really believe Caleb was hired for any

other reason besides his father is Associate Pastor of Highland

Park Baptist Church? He does not have the experience to do

either job he was hired for. I have nothing against Caleb or his

dad but the constant bad decisions need to stop.

Pastor I never thought I would say these words but you actually

wrote an excellent post. You said what all of us are thinking.

Thank you.