Smyrna 2007

january25

QUOTE(Bdogg @ May 1 2007 - 02:30 PM) 826449280[/snapback]I will give spurlock his due, however, Rod is a skill person who can change the complexion of a game.

the point you make (that he is a skill player) is what i believe lessens his value in comparison to spurlock. rod isnt going to get passed to every play...while certainly the plays he doesnt he would be blocking or being a decoy but spurlock will be in contact every down, opening things up for the skill players.

to be honest, i fully expected rod to be the highest recruited player from this region even at the beginning of this post season...i just know how many have came knocking to spurlock and how many have offered and that he has a scheduled visit to florida this summer. cant get much higher in the ranks than the national champions (and btw i know they have supposedly expressed some interest in rod to)

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also agree with uncfan09 i havent seen rod do anything spectacular against riverdale (the only other time i have ever seen him play though is the 2nd half of last years smyrna vs. blackman which he was very impressive in) which supposedly our secondary gets bashed on every year because other teams often claim they are garbage

QUOTE(tdntn @ May 1 2007 - 07:58 PM) 826449428[/snapback]i also agree with uncfan09 i havent seen rod do anything spectacular against riverdale (the only other time i have ever seen him play though is the 2nd half of last years smyrna vs. blackman which he was very impressive in) which supposedly our secondary gets bashed on every year because other teams often claim they are garbage

Well I think yall have to consider the fact that while college scouts do watch how a player peforms in games, it's not all about that. They pay most of there attention to how they do in drills to see what they are capable of doing physically and how much potential they have at the next level. But by the way, Rod did win mvp in the championship game which should wipe out all doubt of his ability to perform in big games.

Rightfully so because Riverdale's DBs are not that good. The reason why they didn't get burnt in the passing game was because of the D-line's ability to put pressure on the QB play in and play out.

FWIW...Chris Jordan of Brentwood Academy, Marlon Walls of Wooddale, and Barrett Jones of ECS are currently seen as the top three players in the state and after that David Spurlock of Riverdale, Preston Bailey of MBA, Dontai Poe of Wooddale, Aaron Douglas of Maryville, and Brian Sommer of Alcoa are rated pretty high. Rod Wilks is most certainly in there [a definite top 10], but he's not regarded as the top prospect in the state or the most recruited one...yet. And definitely not the top receiver in the South. He's truthfully not even in the discussion right now for that.

Also, some believe that Rod would be a better defensive back in college than receiver and that might end up being his future position at the next level.

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ May 1 2007 - 10:50 PM) 826449642[/snapback]FWIW...Chris Jordan of Brentwood Academy, Marlon Walls of Wooddale, and Barrett Jones of ECS are currently seen as the top three players in the state and after that David Spurlock of Riverdale, Preston Bailey of MBA, Dontai Poe of Wooddale, Aaron Douglas of Maryville, and Brian Sommer of Alcoa are rated pretty high. Rod Wilks is most certainly in there [a definite top 10], but he's not regarded as the top prospect in the state or the most recruited one...yet. And definitely not the top receiver in the South. He's truthfully not even in the discussion right now for that.

Also, some believe that Rod would be a better defensive back in college than receiver and that might end up being his future position at the next level.

really?

tell me who have you spoke with that sees rod as a db???? shows you may not be as enlightened as you say

I have been present and spoke to the following coaches this week who all see rod as a big time wr

phil fulmer

david cutcliff

steve spurrier jr

floridas asssitant coach

saban is comimng in this week or early next week

I would say he is one of the most highly recruited wr in the state and the list speaks for itsself

rods big game performances

semi finals oohtelwah - 3 tds

finals ravenwood - 3 tds and bcbs mvp

QUOTE(jmu031 @ May 1 2007 - 10:03 PM) 826449587[/snapback]Well I think yall have to consider the fact that while college scouts do watch how a player peforms in games, it's not all about that. They pay most of there attention to how they do in drills to see what they are capable of doing physically and how much potential they have at the next level. But by the way, Rod did win mvp in the championship game which should wipe out all doubt of his ability to perform in big games.

Rightfully so because Riverdale's DBs are not that good. The reason why they didn't get burnt in the passing game was because of the D-line's ability to put pressure on the QB play in and play out.

Any one can have 2 or 3 big games in which they make a big impact but with spur he has a impact on every off. play of the game i dont think Rod can say that

QUOTE(jmu031 @ May 1 2007 - 10:03 PM) 826449587[/snapback]Well I think yall have to consider the fact that while college scouts do watch how a player peforms in games, it's not all about that. They pay most of there attention to how they do in drills to see what they are capable of doing physically and how much potential they have at the next level. But by the way, Rod did win mvp in the championship game which should wipe out all doubt of his ability to perform in big games.

Any one can have 2 or 3 big games in which they make a big impact but with spur he has a impact on every off. play of the game i dont think Rod can say that

QUOTE(uncfan09 @ May 2 2007 - 07:40 AM) 826449743[/snapback]Any one can have 2 or 3 big games in which they make a big impact but with spur he has a impact on every off. play of the game i dont think Rod can say that

spurlock and rod will be highly recruited

however if you think offensive lineman have more of an impact on a game than others well I will refer you to the nfl where I do believe they know what it takes to win and place a monetary value on that skill.

out of the top 25 players salaries you know how many lineman are listed? one- orlando pace

suprisingly - there are about as many corner backs as quarterbacks in the top 25.

the list is mostly qbs cbs and wide receivers

Let’s just wait until The Army Bowl Committee makes their selection. In my opinion that is what I use to measure the skill.

To say anybody is the best is tough. Every kid has their night during the season. Golden Tate was an excellent player but he was not good enough to make the squad for the Army Game. There was 635 D-1 athletes at the San Antonio Combine in January. Rod was first team he looked unbelievable. Spurlock is a great football player but he is not the best. Most of the guys I filmed in January were 6’7” and 300 + . These guys were monsters. But who am I.

Rod will be the #1 or #2 prospect in the state of Tennessee this year, with Chris Jordan, and anybody that says he's not does not know anything about recruiting. Skill position players are the guys that get Googled in this day and age, and Rod is that guy. Add that to the fact that he absolutely was one of the five best players at the Army All-America Camp in San Antonio (which is a who's who of Junior players camp), and he's going to be that guy at the top of the list in Tennessee. The only thing stopping him from getting the LSU and Florida offers is the impression that he's pretty much a lock to join his brother at Tennessee (which IS where he's probably going, especially since Marsalous looks like he could be a three year starter at corner....but you never know). To be honest, I was kind of lukewarm on Rod until late last year, where he just made some superb plays at key times during the Bulldogs run to the championship. He still has a tendency to lose his concentration and drop the easy ones, but he became a lot more consistent with his hands down the stretch. He's the type of receiver that teams covet these days..............6'2", a legit 200lbs, and can run really well. He's not a 4.28 guy, but when you combine his size with his agility, he's what you would draw up as the prototype.

I like Spurlock a bunch, but I don't know if he's even the best player in the Boro. Caleb Harper is shooting up the boards and could be a legitimate High D-I player at Safety if he has a good year. Here are my predictions for where the top players will end up:

Rod Wilks - Tennessee

Chris Jordan - Georgia

David Spurlock - Tennessee

Preston Bailey - Tennessee

Aaron Douglas - Tennessee (already signed)

Marlon Walls - Ole Miss

Barrett Jones - ??????

Caleb Harper - Vanderbilt

Brian Sommer - West Virginia

QUOTE(McNine4MVP @ May 2 2007 - 12:02 PM) 826450024[/snapback]Rod will be the #1 or #2 prospect in the state of Tennessee this year, with Chris Jordan, and anybody that says he's not does not know anything about recruiting. Skill position players are the guys that get Googled in this day and age, and Rod is that guy. Add that to the fact that he absolutely was one of the five best players at the Army All-America Camp in San Antonio (which is a who's who of Junior players camp), and he's going to be that guy at the top of the list in Tennessee. The only thing stopping him from getting the LSU and Florida offers is the impression that he's pretty much a lock to join his brother at Tennessee (which IS where he's probably going, especially since Marsalous looks like he could be a three year starter at corner....but you never know). To be honest, I was kind of lukewarm on Rod until late last year, where he just made some superb plays at key times during the Bulldogs run to the championship. He still has a tendency to lose his concentration and drop the easy ones, but he became a lot more consistent with his hands down the stretch. He's the type of receiver that teams covet these days..............6'2", a legit 200lbs, and can run really well. He's not a 4.28 guy, but when you combine his size with his agility, he's what you would draw up as the prototype.

I like Spurlock a bunch, but I don't know if he's even the best player in the Boro. Caleb Harper is shooting up the boards and could be a legitimate High D-I player at Safety if he has a good year. Here are my predictions for where the top players will end up:

Rod Wilks - Tennessee

Chris Jordan - Georgia

David Spurlock - Tennessee

Preston Bailey - Tennessee

Aaron Douglas - Tennessee (already signed)

Marlon Walls - Ole Miss

Barrett Jones - ??????

Caleb Harper - Vanderbilt

Brian Sommer - West Virginia

Scout released their first Southeast Top 150 a couple of weeks ago and it went like this

19. Chris Jordan

31. Barrett Jones

49. Aaron Douglas

70. Marlon Walls

78. Rod Wilks

98. Gavin Hardin

117. Preston Bailey

143. Antonio Harper

Things can change but i think Chris Jordan is a lock for number one.

Look, I don't want to insult anyone, but the U.S. Army game [or combine] is not the end all to be all about football...nor football recruiting. First, it a sponsered event by one recruiting publisher and the selections are always subject to where someone might be going or not [as far as uncommitted prospects who will announce their commitment on air]. And that still doesn't mean that has a thing to do with how the prospect ranks or how recruited the prospect is. All of the "rankings" are subject to evaluations that are sometimes not even fully defined by those who evaluate, so they are not always accurate, but they are also not always wrong either and there's the belief that college scouts input and activity even figure into them.

And from what I gather, some teams haven't offered Rod yet not because of his brother or the perception that he's going to Tennessee, but that some are wondering what position he would fit their needs. People think his athleticism is through the roof, they are just trying to figure where it best applies. Just passing along information.

As far as Chris Jordan goes, some schools are projecting him to be a linebacker, some as a running back, and some even think he could be a big receiver. It depends on which school it is that is evaluating him. Two other kids that college coaches are starting to get excited over are Fayette-Ware linebacker Ricky Holloway and Antioch's Mike McAdoo. Pearl Cohn's Deaunte Mason should be seeing his recruitment raise soon.