Smyrna 2007

january25

Rod Wilks is the top prospect in Tennessee imo. I also think he could be a great safety. Chris Jordan is a good player but he thinks he is a RB and doesn't want to play LB. He needs to realize that people who run 4.7 40's usually don't play RB in the SEC. Spurlock is a really good prospect, probably the best lineman in Tennessee along with Aaron Douglas. It is a pretty good year for in-state talent. Memphis has some good prospects, but you always have grade concerns with them and they are usually boom or bust players at the next level. For every Cedrick Wilson you have a David Paine, for every Dwayne Robertson you have a Albert Means etc...

This would be my initial list of prospects in Tennessee and it will change I'm sure.

1. Rod Wilks

2. David Spurlock

3. Chris Jordan

4. Aaron Douglas

5. Barrett Jones

6. Marlon Walls

7. Ricky Holloway

8. Preston Bailey

9. Gavin Hardin

10. Brian Sommer

11. Ben Bartholomew

12. Curt Phillips

13. Michael McAdoo

14. Donta' Hightower

15. Antonio Harper

16. Deandre Jones

17. Demario Williams

18. Kendall Dangerfield

19. Brent Hanson

20. Ladarius Verge

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(uncfan09 @ May 2 2007 - 07:40 AM) 826449743[/snapback]Any one can have 2 or 3 big games in which they make a big impact but with spur he has a impact on every off. play of the game i dont think Rod can say that

Any one can have 2 or 3 big games in which they make a big impact but with spur he has a impact on every off. play of the game i dont think Rod can say that

IMO Rod makes a WAY bigger impact than spurlock. Rod is the type of player that coaches have to change their entire defensive schemes around.

Have you ever heard of a coach staying up all night trying to figure out how to stop an offensive lineman?

No.

QUOTE(JesseWJohnson @ May 2 2007 - 09:01 PM) 826450414[/snapback]Look, I don't want to insult anyone, but the U.S. Army game [or combine] is not the end all to be all about football...nor football recruiting. First, it a sponsered event by one recruiting publisher and the selections are always subject to where someone might be going or not [as far as uncommitted prospects who will announce their commitment on air]. And that still doesn't mean that has a thing to do with how the prospect ranks or how recruited the prospect is. All of the "rankings" are subject to evaluations that are sometimes not even fully defined by those who evaluate, so they are not always accurate, but they are also not always wrong either and there's the belief that college scouts input and activity even figure into them.

And from what I gather, some teams haven't offered Rod yet not because of his brother or the perception that he's going to Tennessee, but that some are wondering what position he would fit their needs. People think his athleticism is through the roof, they are just trying to figure where it best applies. Just passing along information.

Ok but what I dont understand is why they still wouldn't be trying to recruit him.

If I was Urban Meyer at Florida, I'd be thinking 'Hey we just won a national championship and are the top sports college in America right now. Most kids dream of playing for a college like us. I'm not sure where this Wilks kid projects at the college level though. Hmmmmmmmmm He could play WR, safety, cornerback, returner. But what makes him special is he is unbelievable at each spot. So what should I do? Just sit here and ponder over which spot he'll play and waste time while other top programs' coaches are winning him over by personally visiting him, or should I go check this kid out and pay a personal visit or send an assistant there instead and we can offer him and when he gets here we can sort this whole position thing out.'

I'd much rather have a kid that could fill in any of 4 spots not filled by other players then be left with any holes in my roster.

QUOTE(ckyfan @ May 2 2007 - 09:12 PM) 826450427[/snapback]Rod Wilks is the top prospect in Tennessee imo. I also think he could be a great safety. Chris Jordan is a good player but he thinks he is a RB and doesn't want to play LB. He needs to realize that people who run 4.7 40's usually don't play RB in the SEC. Spurlock is a really good prospect, probably the best lineman in Tennessee along with Aaron Douglas. It is a pretty good year for in-state talent. Memphis has some good prospects, but you always have grade concerns with them and they are usually boom or bust players at the next level. For every Cedrick Wilson you have a David Paine, for every Dwayne Robertson you have a Albert Means etc...

This would be my initial list of prospects in Tennessee and it will change I'm sure.

1. Rod Wilks

2. David Spurlock

3. Chris Jordan

4. Aaron Douglas

5. Barrett Jones

6. Marlon Walls

7. Ricky Holloway

8. Preston Bailey

9. Gavin Hardin

10. Brian Sommer

11. Ben Bartholomew

12. Curt Phillips

13. Michael McAdoo

14. Donta' Hightower

15. Antonio Harper

16. Deandre Jones

17. Demario Williams

18. Kendall Dangerfield

19. Brent Hanson

20. Ladarius Verge

I haven't seen all these players play so I'm not going to make my own ranking list but from everything I've read Barrett Jones is the top olineman in the state and Aaron Douglas is a top 5 TE in the country. Also the big DT from Memphis (Poe ?) will be close to the top. Also, i doubt Chris Jordan runs a 4.7

I forgot about the Poe kid. He should be in there somewhere. Douglas plays TE, but there is a good chance he grows into an offensive tackle. Jordan ran a 4.77 at the Athens Nike camp last year. I'm sure he has gotten a little faster since then, but if you look at his film he looks like a 4.6-4.7 type guy. He will be a fine LB though.

QUOTE(jmu031 @ May 2 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826450577[/snapback]Ok but what I dont understand is why they still wouldn't be trying to recruit him.

If I was Urban Meyer at Florida, I'd be thinking 'Hey we just won a national championship and are the top sports college in America right now. Most kids dream of playing for a college like us. I'm not sure where this Wilks kid projects at the college level though. Hmmmmmmmmm He could play WR, safety, cornerback, returner. But what makes him special is he is unbelievable at each spot. So what should I do? Just sit here and ponder over which spot he'll play and waste time while other top programs' coaches are winning him over by personally visiting him, or should I go check this kid out and pay a personal visit or send an assistant there instead and we can offer him and when he gets here we can sort this whole position thing out.'

I'd much rather have a kid that could fill in any of 4 spots not filled by other players then be left with any holes in my roster.

florida sent the receivers coach

I dont know where johnson is getting his incorrect info about "what position he would play?"

every single school is looking at him as a wr and a wr only. At Tennessee he has been told he is being recruited for the Departed Meachum spot.

I don't even like those recruitng mags and think they are way over rated but the proof is who shows up

for rod this spring

phil fulmer

david cutcliff

steve spurier jr

floridas wr coach

michigan assistant was in yesterday

saban is coming

others have called and plan on being there in the next week or 2

sounds like if he is not at the top he is close

QUOTE(jmu031 @ May 2 2007 - 11:26 PM) 826450577[/snapback]Ok but what I dont understand is why they still wouldn't be trying to recruit him.

You really need to broaden your vision when it comes to high school players. Rod is a good player, one of the best in TN. But there are several players in the state of Florida with his ability and more. Urban has so much size, speed, and talent in the state of Florida to chose from, I doubt he is just sitting there wondering where he would want to play Wilks.

QUOTE(StrengthandHonor @ May 3 2007 - 05:49 PM) 826451065[/snapback]You really need to broaden your vision when it comes to high school players. Rod is a good player, one of the best in TN. But there are several players in the state of Florida with his ability and more. Urban has so much size, speed, and talent in the state of Florida to chose from, I doubt he is just sitting there wondering where he would want to play Wilks.

he's prolly looking at people that can catch also

There's no doubt that Rod is a special player, but do you think all this hub bub over just one or two players is necessary? In the end, what difference does it make? Four or five years from now, we'll all know who was right. Not to say let's all quit debating.After all what's his name beat out Peyton Manning for the Heisman. Personally, I think there are several boys on Smyrna's team, maybe not all DI, but quite capable of playing on Saturday.

QUOTE(StrengthandHonor @ May 3 2007 - 05:49 PM) 826451065[/snapback]You really need to broaden your vision when it comes to high school players. Rod is a good player, one of the best in TN. But there are several players in the state of Florida with his ability and more. Urban has so much size, speed, and talent in the state of Florida to chose from, I doubt he is just sitting there wondering where he would want to play Wilks.

I was showing how stupid it would look if that was how he was evaluating Rod. I wasn't saying he was spending all of his time thinking and discussing about him. Geez lighten up.

QUOTE(ckyfan @ May 2 2007 - 09:12 PM) 826450427[/snapback]Rod Wilks is the top prospect in Tennessee imo. I also think he could be a great safety. Chris Jordan is a good player but he thinks he is a RB and doesn't want to play LB. He needs to realize that people who run 4.7 40's usually don't play RB in the SEC. Spurlock is a really good prospect, probably the best lineman in Tennessee along with Aaron Douglas. It is a pretty good year for in-state talent. Memphis has some good prospects, but you always have grade concerns with them and they are usually boom or bust players at the next level. For every Cedrick Wilson you have a David Paine, for every Dwayne Robertson you have a Albert Means etc...

1. Rod Wilks

2. David Spurlock

3. Chris Jordan

4. Aaron Douglas

5. Barrett Jones

6. Marlon Walls

7. Ricky Holloway

8. Preston Bailey

9. Gavin Hardin

10. Brian Sommer

11. Ben Bartholomew

12. Curt Phillips

13. Michael McAdoo

14. Donta' Hightower

15. Antonio Harper

16. Deandre Jones

17. Demario Williams

18. Kendall Dangerfield

19. Brent Hanson

20. Ladarius Verge

Rod is no doubt the best receiver in Tennessee. I have seen him in person a few times, but have you seen his highlight video? Wow, he just has IT! I want that guy at UT and he will be a player. Also, Curt Phillips will move up quickly as he is on a team in a small that gets little recognition (no media) and is on his way up. Sullivan South does not have too much to offer in the way of spped or pure athleticism. Check out some of the camps he has been to recently and what people are saying about him. I can't remember a better QB in the last 10 years in Tennessee including Ingle Martin. Curt is 6'4 close to 230 lbs runs an electronically timed 40 at about 4.54 and has a cannon arm. The recent camps have put him on the radar. If he was in Nashville he would be right there with Rod a bit. Everyone in the SEC has shown interest.