Soccer Lawsuit in Williamson Co

mjuhb

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow as a result of a ridiculous clothesline at the Independence tournament last weekend. No foul was called then either. Frankly, I cannot read the descriptions of this incident without thinking a foul occurred. I would have to see a good video to make any determination as to who it was on.

Having said that, I would not fault the player or the coaches being sued (although if anyone should know better, it seems like it would be the coaches), but rather the ref system in this state. We are so horribly inconsistent that players never know how aggressive to be. No player should be allowed to play in a manner that can cause harm. Call the smaller fouls agressively, use cautions liberally, and protect the players, refs.

Just my opinion, of course, but I've never seen harmfully aggressive play tolerated at regional events. Until that style of officiating filters down to the high school level we'll see incidents like this.

i just cant believe they arrested him because an opposing player was hurt. its hard to say without seeing video though. it couldve just been an accidental elbow which can happen. but really without a video its hard for me to comment. unless it is completely clear he went at him to hurt him then there should be no lawsuit. they are probly just saying it was intentional and filing a lawsuit because the player had a "history of extremely aggressive behavior". usually if someone injures someone intentionally it is clearly obvious and the refs wouldve called a foul. i still dont see why they are mad at the coaches and school system. the coaches dont play the game. unless they told him to hurt the kid. like Temple's basketball coach a few years ago in college.

so my opinion is sometimes injuries happen and they are always caused on purpose.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ Mar 21 2007 - 06:22 PM) 826419642[/snapback]so my opinion is sometimes injuries happen and they are always caused on purpose.

I think you meant "Aren't always caused on purpose" but that isn't the point of the lawsuit. Aggressive play in a manner that can cause harm isn't supposed to be allowed. the refs are supposed to decide what is and isn't play in a manner that can cause harm.

Having said that, I'm dissappointed in having soccer involved in a lawsuit such as this one and criminal charges being brought against a player. What do they hope to achieve? Money? If it's help with the medical bills, I can see that but why sue the coaches? I suspect that will be tough to win, but a lot of harm can occur in the meantime.

The assault charges are even worse. If they bring charges for a soccer foul, I guess every down linesman who commits a chop block in American football will have to go to jail from now on.

QUOTE(stevescarb @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:14 PM) 826419758[/snapback]I think you meant "Aren't always caused on purpose" but that isn't the point of the lawsuit. Aggressive play in a manner that can cause harm isn't supposed to be allowed. the refs are supposed to decide what is and isn't play in a manner that can cause harm.

Having said that, I'm dissappointed in having soccer involved in a lawsuit such as this one and criminal charges being brought against a player. What do they hope to achieve? Money? If it's help with the medical bills, I can see that but why sue the coaches? I suspect that will be tough to win, but a lot of harm can occur in the meantime.

The assault charges are even worse. If they bring charges for a soccer foul, I guess every down linesman who commits a chop block in American football will have to go to jail from now on.

do not bring American football into this...it is not the issue

QUOTE(stevescarb @ Mar 21 2007 - 08:14 PM) 826419758[/snapback]I think you meant "Aren't always caused on purpose" but that isn't the point of the lawsuit. Aggressive play in a manner that can cause harm isn't supposed to be allowed. the refs are supposed to decide what is and isn't play in a manner that can cause harm.

yeah i did mean arent. didnt catch that one. im not good at typing. also though about aggressive play i guess you might as well not try to slide tackle anyone because if your a split second off you could hurt them. so that should be banned i guess since someone could get hurt. but thats what i was saying there isnt alot of stuff in soccer that i know of that you can do to cause harm with out it being intentional. but i dont and never have played soccer so i dont know.

yeah i agree with you on the assault stuff.

Without having any more evidene than what was written, I don't believe this lawsuit has a chance. Unless they have the coach on tape instructing the player to intentionally hurt the player they would be better off trying to sue the referees. They probably aren't suing the referees because it's been tried before with no success. Just my 2 cents worth as a former referee.

Was this a physical game besides this play....and did the referee's have the game undercontrol?? It is too bad it had to come to this. I feel bad for both boys. I do believe that referee's in high school soccer alot of the time let the games get out of control. Sorry to hear about all of this.

OK... why doesn't the schools insurance pay for the bills? I know that at CAK we have to have insurance in case someone gets hurt during school activites. I think the school is required to have that. Whether it was done on purpose, or on accident, or if he even ran into the post of a goal... if he gets hurt representing the school, they should help out.

It is hard to say anything about who is/was right or wrong in this case, since I didn't see it, and don't know the people involved. I would say that it would be tough to prove without video, and very hard to bring a case against the coaches, unless they have proof that they encouraged said behavior. Even so, it will be costly for either side. That is one reason I am a member of the NSCAA and the NFHS (which gives you added liability insurance).

The same type of thing happened within the last 8 years in Knoxville (Oak Ridge maybe?) when a player supposedly stepped on another players neck while he was down on the ground. I never found out how that ended, though I knew the kid involved, but I believe he moved away or went to college.