New Tullahoma Girl's Basketball Coach

Skipper

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Skipper @ Apr 1 2007 - 04:18 PM) 826427705[/snapback]Tullahoma Girl's Varsity Coach Katie Galloway has resigned following a suggestion to do so by THS Principal Mike Landis. I heard that there was a lot of complaints from the players and parents that the girls weren't being worked hard enough due to Coach Galloway spending a lot of time with her boyfriend in Chattanooga. The coach of the Freshman team, Lindsey Worbington, was working her team much harder, and the results showed with an outstanding season that included a victory over Shelbyville! Ed Tucker, former head coach of the East Middle School girl's team, had also done an exceptional job in developing the Freshman players. 4 out of the 5 starters (Danae Thornburg, Olivia Barlow, Jenna Larson and Kristina Tucker) started for his team at East. He also developed upcoming Freshman Katie Brock, who is a great post player. He will be coaching most of the varsity team this Spring with a traveling team, which will prepare them well for next season. Tullahoma will only have 1 senior next year, but a tremendous amount of talent in the Juniors and Sophmores. The new coach has a nice problem in that he will be forced to cut players next year because there are so many girls that want to play. Next year may still be a tough year since it will be such a young team, but Tullahoma should be very competitive over the following 2 years. With solid coaching, they could even topple Shelbyville. The new coach was named on Friday and has already met with the players. I heard that his name is Mike (?) with past ties to Shelbyville. Does anyone know what is full name is and his background?

bhahaha!!! This has to be the funniest post I've ever read!!! So you're saying she was basically fired because she was spending all of her free time in Chattanooga with her boy friend? Yeah....sure!!! The problem....for the umpteenth time...was that they were playing with inferior players. Let's face it, Tullahoma has one of the toughest districts in the nation. The freshmen won because they had better talent. The varsity lost because they didn't...PERIOD!!!

I'm not impressed with the new hire. I've heard he was basically run out of Soddy Daisy and Rhea County. I don't think this is a good fit for the program. Guess we'll see. Good luck to him.

Coach Summit also said that the players have to make the commitment and do it on their own because there are NCAA restrictions on coaches working with the players and practice time.

And there are TSSAA rules that state similar restrictions. Surely no one wants the coaches at THS to willfully break the TSSAA rules -- maybe bend a few.... but we can't expect the kids to follow rules if the adults don't.

The girls have to want to do it on their own and they have to have some talent to start with.

But maybe Coach Summit can come to Tullahoma over the next several years since we have so many great players coming up. To read the posts on the state of Tullahoma Girls Basketball, we have about 15 college prospects in BB. Most should play for UT or some other powerhouse.

In looking at Coacht girls basketball schedules (which can be incomplete or wrong), Rhea County has won 2 district games in 4 years and I do not believe their district is as hard as 8AAA.

GOOD LUCK to the new coach. Maybe he can continue to build on the foundation already laid over the last three or four years. Hopefully the parents will let him coach and quit their whining. We are running out of cheese in Tullahoma. And we all need to realize that they will not win the NCAA Tournament next year.

QUOTE(Skipper @ Apr 1 2007 - 05:18 PM) 826427705[/snapback]Tullahoma Girl's Varsity Coach Katie Galloway has resigned following a suggestion to do so by THS Principal Mike Landis. I heard that there was a lot of complaints from the players and parents that the girls weren't being worked hard enough due to Coach Galloway spending a lot of time with her boyfriend in Chattanooga. The coach of the Freshman team, Lindsey Worbington, was working her team much harder, and the results showed with an outstanding season that included a victory over Shelbyville! Ed Tucker, former head coach of the East Middle School girl's team, had also done an exceptional job in developing the Freshman players. 4 out of the 5 starters (Danae Thornburg, Olivia Barlow, Jenna Larson and Kristina Tucker) started for his team at East. He also developed upcoming Freshman Katie Brock, who is a great post player. He will be coaching most of the varsity team this Spring with a traveling team, which will prepare them well for next season. Tullahoma will only have 1 senior next year, but a tremendous amount of talent in the Juniors and Sophmores. The new coach has a nice problem in that he will be forced to cut players next year because there are so many girls that want to play. Next year may still be a tough year since it will be such a young team, but Tullahoma should be very competitive over the following 2 years. With solid coaching, they could even topple Shelbyville. The new coach was named on Friday and has already met with the players. I heard that his name is Mike (?) with past ties to Shelbyville. Does anyone know what is full name is and his background?

He was in Shelbyville in the early 80's. Not sure if he was boys HC or just an assistant. My brother in law played ball under him and I have met him several times. He sure has the experience. Wish him the best seemded to be a good man the times I've seen and talked with him.

• 2 months later...

Hope Brock plays basketball at THS

I was told that Brock didn't go to any of the team camps because of a play or musical that she has a part in. Kristen Vance didn't go to any either because of tournament soccer. They both made the summer team that Coach Seals picked to go to camp. Hopefully they will try out in the fall.

Talked to a dad who said the varsity team only won a few games but played hard most of the time. He said Coach Seals did a lot of substituting to see who could do what. The JV team needs a lot of work. At least they all played in a bunch of games this spring.

Its good that the sophomores and juniors are finally able to play together, after being separated because THS had a freshman team last year. That should give them a shot at a better record. They will need players from all of the classes to contribute in order for the team to be competitve. The entire team except one senior will be playing together for the next two years.

I was told that Brock didn't go to any of the team camps because of a play or musical that she has a part in. Kristen Vance didn't go to any either because of tournament soccer. They both made the summer team that Coach Seals picked to go to camp. Hopefully they will try out in the fall.

Talked to a dad who said the varsity team only won a few games but played hard most of the time. He said Coach Seals did a lot of substituting to see who could do what. The JV team needs a lot of work. At least they all played in a bunch of games this spring.

Its good that the sophomores and juniors are finally able to play together, after being separated because THS had a freshman team last year. That should give them a shot at a better record. They will need players from all of the classes to contribute in order for the team to be competitve. The entire team except one senior will be playing together for the next two years.

welcome to the T

David Muckle and his family have moved back to Tullahoma after being away for several years. I understand that they were looking for a change that would work for the whole family. Was told that his wife got a job in town and his daughter is planning to play in Tullahoma next year. She will be a sophomore. I haven't heard if David is teaching in Tullahoma or if he is wanting to coach in the area. The East middle school boys position in town has already been filled.

David Muckle and his family have moved back to Tullahoma after being away for several years. I understand that they were looking for a change that would work for the whole family. Was told that his wife got a job in town and his daughter is planning to play in Tullahoma next year. She will be a sophomore. I haven't heard if David is teaching in Tullahoma or if he is wanting to coach in the area. The East middle school boys position in town has already been filled.

I heard he was going to coach boy's basketball at Westwood Jr. High in Manchester, but I don't know that as fact.

• 4 weeks later...

When it rains it pours…………

Tullahoma lost its most experienced post and its most promising young post in the same week.

Six-footer Holly Kiser left to play for Shelbyville. I heard that she is going to live with her Grandmother in Shelbyville. Apparently her mom will stay in Tullahoma.

Katie Brock quit because basketball was interfering with her activities in the theater. I hear she is just as good at theater as she was in basketball.