umps?

Guest inappropriate87

QUOTE(ksgovols @ Apr 11 2007 - 02:16 PM) 826434975[/snapback]Strike three! Drive home safely.

The strike zone is set in the first couple of innings. As long as it's consistent both ways, there should be not complaints. As an umpire you don't want to redefine your strike zone during the course of a game. That confuses the kids batting.

My kid plays and I tell him not to let the umpire decide his at bats. In a game last night the guy behind the plate was giving the pitcher about 4-5" outside. After one called strike out there he swung at potential strike three because it was in the same place. He barely caught it and bounced it over the pitchers head for an infield single. The umpire defines the strike zone and the players adjust to it.

This is my biggest problem with umpires. The strike zone is not set in the first couple of innings, it was set back in the 1800's. The rule book defines the strike zone and nobody should have to adjust to it. The plate is there for more than just touching to score a run. Chin high curve balls and ankle high fastballs in the opposite batter's box are not strikes. 2" out turns into 4" out, and as Blue gets closer to his $40 and a free hotdog, you better be getting out the fungo bat.

If the batters and bats have gotten too good, widen the plate. Don't let each ump decide their random definition of what is close enough.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest problems is that most high school baseball fans are fans because their son/grandson is playing so they are fans for 3-4 years or so. And these fans don't understand that some of the rules they see on TV when they are watching their Braves are not the same for high school. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard someone yell "That is his second visit to the mound this inning! He has to take the pitcher out!!!" No, he doesn't... Same with plays at the plate and a plethora of other differences....

But the guy in the slot looking over the catcher's left shoulder feels an outside pitch on a right handed batter as much as he sees it. I don't like to see the plate widened to the batter's box line but a pitch that catches the black by 1/16" on either side gives you 21" or so of plate width to work with and folks still want to see one ball width off the inside of the plate called a ball. It's just as much a strike as the outside pitch, but alot of umpires will give the batter the inside corner and the pitcher the outside. It's all in how well you see certain parts of the zone.

You can argue about a umpire's zone but after 2 innings the player's should know what the call is going to be.

QUOTE(catsbackr @ Apr 11 2007 - 07:51 AM) 826434620[/snapback]I echo binns response.

Every year, players, coaches and fans complain about calls their teams are getting or not getting or rulings they get or don't get. That's just baseball.

In our association, we meet, starting in January, a minimum of once per week until the season starts to go over rules, situations, etc. Unfortunately, the coaches only meet 1 time at a State required meeting to discuss rules and rule changes.

There is another topic on the baseball board regarding an appeal that was started by a coach. The coach does not understand the appeal process and in the situation he describes, the umpires ruled correctly after his team went through unnecessary motions to appeal. The result is that players, fans and coaches are upset with an umpire for CORRECTLY applying a rule.

Each and every year, there are fewer and fewer people wanting to umpire. Don't criticize unless you're willing to strap on the gear, make the calls and apply the rules. I can forsee in the not too distant future where there will be only one umpire on the field for games due to the lack of umpires.

You fellas think its bad in HS, try umpirin lil league. Haha every time its somethin new, whether one coach gets upset bout callin it a game after the bottom of the fifth with two minutes left and a 20 to 1 chance he's gonna come back and win, or another whos mad because his teams gettin beat bad and we havent run ruled it yet. More fun than an Etch-A-Sketch.

As far as rule interpretations go, nobody knows EVERY SINGLE RULE. Even with the little kids, and it gets even more complicated in HS. If you guys think Umps are in it to get rich then your dumb. No official in the TSSAA gets paid enough to put up with some of the stuff they do. And as far as one Umpire a game, Ive had to do that before and its terible. Its nearly impossible to do.

QUOTE(BigFly @ Apr 11 2007 - 03:42 PM) 826435168[/snapback]This is my biggest problem with umpires. The strike zone is not set in the first couple of innings, it was set back in the 1800's. The rule book defines the strike zone and nobody should have to adjust to it. The plate is there for more than just touching to score a run. Chin high curve balls and ankle high fastballs in the opposite batter's box are not strikes. 2" out turns into 4" out, and as Blue gets closer to his $40 and a free hotdog, you better be getting out the fungo bat.

If the batters and bats have gotten too good, widen the plate. Don't let each ump decide their random definition of what is close enough.

You are exactly right about the strike zone being set back in the 1800's.How is it that ump's deviate from this and call strikes that on the top of shoe laces?This takes away from the batter with a different strike zone from one ump to another.Hitting is the hardest part of baseball.This is my personal opinion and you know how opinions go.

QUOTE(BigFly @ Apr 11 2007 - 03:42 PM) 826435168[/snapback]This is my biggest problem with umpires. The strike zone is not set in the first couple of innings, it was set back in the 1800's. The rule book defines the strike zone and nobody should have to adjust to it. The plate is there for more than just touching to score a run. Chin high curve balls and ankle high fastballs in the opposite batter's box are not strikes. 2" out turns into 4" out, and as Blue gets closer to his $40 and a free hotdog, you better be getting out the fungo bat.

Get serious. To make a statement such as, "...the rulebook defines the strike zone..." is rediculous.

NFHS defines the strikezone as, "...that space over the plate, the top of which is halfway between the batter's shoulders and the waistline, and the bottom being the knees when he assumes his natural stance." I read that as the letters to the knees. How do you read it? I guess you want us to call letter high fastballs from a pitcher throwing in the mid '80's strikes, huh. There's going to be a lotta no hitters I bet.

All umpires are not the same height and therefore do not have the same head height when calling balls and strikes. That would be almost impossible. However, each plate umpire is the same height the whole game and as long as we call a consistent zone for both teams the whole game, what can be fairer?

Regarding your comment about "..Blue gets closer to his $40 and a free hotdog..", strap on some equipment, take your turn behind the plate and then criticize. Until then, shut up.

And lastly, 4 inches off the plate still catches the black with a regulation baseball.

Get um cat. Also hears something to thank about. Remember this mom and dad. When Jr. throws ball 1 over the catchers head, ball 2 hits 3 feet in front of the plate, ball 3 is 15 inches outside and up. Then the 4th pitch paints the inside corner at the letters. YOUR most likely not going to get that call. Pitchers that work around the strike zone will get far more calls then one who does not. Catcher sets up out side and the pitch paints the inside corner. Not gonna get it. Catcher drops a good inside pitch. NO STRIKE. Catchers fault. Last with the count 0-2 catcher sets up 2x outside, pitcher hits the glove dead on. ITS STILL A BALL. Remember he was not throwing the pitch for a called strike.

QUOTE(BigFly @ Apr 11 2007 - 04:42 PM) 826435168[/snapback]This is my biggest problem with umpires. The strike zone is not set in the first couple of innings, it was set back in the 1800's. The rule book defines the strike zone and nobody should have to adjust to it. The plate is there for more than just touching to score a run. Chin high curve balls and ankle high fastballs in the opposite batter's box are not strikes. 2" out turns into 4" out, and as Blue gets closer to his $40 and a free hotdog, you better be getting out the fungo bat.

Some of these ideas are purely laughable..It is clearly evident that you (Bigfly) have never stood behind the plate. Also isnt it funny that the coaches want a textbook strike zone EXCEPT when they are playing...Then they want a zone as big as a garage door for their pitcher and a zone the size of a small picture frame for the other guy...

most of the coaches I know would rather an umpire call a liberal zone for both teams than call a real tight one. BUT the main thing is for the plate ump to be consistent from the first pitch to the last one..And also consistent from game to game, because most umps will have the same teams numerous times over a season...If that happens, then the kids pitching and the kids batting can make small adjustments and do well...As far as your comment on blue getting his $40 and a hotdog...comments like that just show your lack of knowledge about umpiring...but, I have plenty of extra gear that I bought with my $40 that I will gladly let you strap on and show us how to be perfect on every call...Boy I bet the coaches and fans would pay dearly to see that!!! The next time I need to take off from work an hour early and drive 40 to 50 miles one way (at $2.75 a gallon!) to work a game, which sometimes is more than twice a week, I will try to remember your suggestions. Maybe I wont choke on the hotdog while I am counting my $$$ driving home...I totally agree with catsbacker...Until you strap up...SHUT UP!

Guest inappropriate87

again never said umps dont make mistakes im just sayin they are making mistakes that shouldnt be made no matter what. easy calls that they blow. umps not knowing the rule book. think they could do ALOT better then what they are doin right now

There are many good umpires around. Of course they get the good games. But there are also alot of umpires who have never played baseball, but can read an open book test and get certified. Who wouldn't want to do that for 60.00 a game or more???? Many are out there just for the check and go home. I have umpired around Nashville and Middle TN for 19 years and I know many of them and how they are. There is nothing anybody can do about it. Just play the game.

QUOTE(Rt-21CBTrap @ Apr 11 2007 - 07:19 PM) 826435243[/snapback]You fellas think its bad in HS, try umpirin lil league. Haha every time its somethin new, whether one coach gets upset bout callin it a game after the bottom of the fifth with two minutes left and a 20 to 1 chance he's gonna come back and win, or another whos mad because his teams gettin beat bad and we havent run ruled it yet. More fun than an Etch-A-Sketch.

As far as rule interpretations go, nobody knows EVERY SINGLE RULE. Even with the little kids, and it gets even more complicated in HS. If you guys think Umps are in it to get rich then your dumb. No official in the TSSAA gets paid enough to put up with some of the stuff they do. And as far as one Umpire a game, Ive had to do that before and its terible. Its nearly impossible to do.

AMEN BROTHER PREACH IT, lol. I have done some little league games and I have to agree that the coaches and fans are far worse in these games than any coach or fan in high school. I was doing some games over in Loudon about a month ago and i was doing the coach pitch games. Just to let you know, people call these leagues the "pirahna" leagues, mostly because the coaches and fans will eat you alive, lol. Now these kids were 5 years old, and the sad part was these were travel teams and I'm not just talking about from across Tennessee either, there were teams there from Alabama, Florida, and Kentucky. Does anyone else see whats wrong with this picture? I mean shouldntt 5 year olds be worried with being a 5 year old, instead of being drug around the country to play in a coach pitch tournament? But as I was saying, these coaches and fans act like little Johnny will be playing for the Yankees next week and if you mess up a call then you are doing a major injustice to their kids. Now for any of you out there that havent umped a coach pitch game I will let you know right now, its probably one of the hardest games you will ump because of a few reasons. 1) You are the only ump there and are alone on all calls with no back up 2) Coach pitch has many "special" rules that are so different from the regular rules that if you are a regular high school ump then you will feel like you are in a foreign land 3) The coaches will argue that the sky is green if they get the notion 4) The coaches are just parents that have a kid on the team and maybe they played a little ball "back in the day" and only 1 in 10 actually know the basic rules and they think they know everything there is to know.

Now I'm all for competition and all but some of these kids didnt barely know what was going on, now there were some that knew things about the game that the normal 18 year old wouldnt know about the game, but the vast majority just wanted to have fun and didnt really care who won. I even had one little boy walk by me after the game and asked me if his team won or not cause he truthfully had no clue and he really didnt care. But in my opinion these coaches are taking all the fun out of one of the greatest sports around. Just let the kids play.

But i have strayed away from my original point that Umping in any level is hard, strenuous job that gets little respect from the self proclaimed baseball geniuses that are just players and fans who dont like the so called bad calls that they always seem to get. Now sometimes yes Umps make bad calls, its almost inevitable because noone is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, but maybe the reason your team is losing isn't because the umps are making bad calls, maybe just maybe its because your team isn't that good or they had a bad day that particular game. So lay off the umps cause for one they are underpaid for the job they do and for the crap they put up with on a game to game basis. And as some of the people have already stated "if you havent ever gotten behind the plate and umped then SHUT UP".