The Countdown Begins...

QUOTE(ELA @ Apr 25 2007 - 11:09 AM) 826445004[/snapback]What we all fear is that if BA wins the final round, every coach will have to start recruiting at the high school level to get talent and to keep talent. I understand that private schools must market themselves to prospective families but what public high school coaches do not need to do is to have to get out and spend hours recruiting kids for the public school system.

I agree that this is a valid concern. Recruiting should not have to be a part of every high school coach's job responsibilities.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ELA @ Apr 25 2007 - 11:09 AM) 826445004[/snapback]What we all fear is that if BA wins the final round, every coach will have to start recruiting at the high school level to get talent and to keep talent. I understand that private schools must market themselves to prospective families but what public high school coaches do not need to do is to have to get out and spend hours recruiting kids for the public school system.

Ela...Can you not understand the fact that BA did not recruit in this circumstance? They merely sent a letter to some kids that had signed contracts with the school. That is NOT recruiting.

I guess you see nothing wrong with public high school coaches being allowed to go to middle schools and recruit kids. But Lord forbid a kids family writes a check to a private school, then signs a contract and they should get a letter from the school.

QUOTE(ELA @ Apr 25 2007 - 10:09 AM) 826445004[/snapback]What we all fear is that if BA wins the final round, every coach will have to start recruiting at the high school level to get talent and to keep talent. I understand that private schools must market themselves to prospective families but what public high school coaches do not need to do is to have to get out and spend hours recruiting kids for the public school system.

I, too, share that concern. Don't you really believe that in most cases, excellence is the best "recruiting" tool ANY school/team can have? Many questions have swirled around some of the more successful public schools (Examples: boys' basketball - Whitehaven; football - Maryville, Alcoa, Riverdale; girls' basketball - Shelbyville, just to name a few), but I believe in virtually all of those cases, nothing shady has taken place. I believe that the excellence those coaches/programs have brought to the field or court has drawn students interested in pursuing excellence to those communities and/or schools.

In other words, excellence is a great drawing card.

QUOTE(supersteve17 @ Apr 25 2007 - 11:42 AM) 826445085[/snapback]I, too, share that concern. Don't you really believe that in most cases, excellence is the best "recruiting" tool ANY school/team can have? Many questions have swirled around some of the more successful public schools (Examples: boys' basketball - Whitehaven; football - Maryville, Alcoa, Riverdale; girls' basketball - Shelbyville, just to name a few), but I believe in virtually all of those cases, nothing shady has taken place. I believe that the excellence those coaches/programs have brought to the field or court has drawn students interested in pursuing excellence to those communities and/or schools.

In other words, excellence is a great drawing card.

But excellence takes a lot of work and time to achieve. It's much easier to remove your competition by placing them in other classifications.

There's a good analysis in the Chattanooga Times-Free Press this morning. Based upon the questions asked and new justices, the author's opinion is that the TSSAA might come out on top this time because of concentration on the recruiting issue versus free speech. I'd copy but I think it would run afoul of Coacht's copywrite policy.

Not sure why you fear this -- it's certainly not BA's contention that they or any one else should be able to recruit and if BA wins, all it will establish is their right to communicate with kids who have signed on the dotted line and payed the deposit. BA has come out (time and time again) that they do and would support strict but clearly defined and regulated recruiting rules. The issue is with unclear and unevenly enforced rules . . .

QUOTE(fan6 @ Apr 27 2007 - 09:40 AM) 826446740[/snapback]Not sure why you fear this -- it's certainly not BA's contention that they or any one else should be able to recruit and if BA wins, all it will establish is their right to communicate with kids who have signed on the dotted line and payed the deposit. BA has come out (time and time again) that they do and would support strict but clearly defined and regulated recruiting rules. The issue is with unclear and unevenly enforced rules . . .

I find this very interesting! "BA would support strict but clearly defined and regulated recruiting rules."

QUOTE(canton @ Apr 28 2007 - 11:27 PM) 826447745[/snapback]I find this very interesting! "BA would support strict but clearly defined and regulated recruiting rules."

It shouldn't be that interesting or come as a surprize if you've been following this very closely . . . This has never been about BA's desire to recruit -- it's been about others paranoia that they do.

QUOTE(canton @ Apr 29 2007 - 12:27 AM) 826447745[/snapback]I find this very interesting! "BA would support strict but clearly defined and regulated recruiting rules."

I'm for this also...but I would add "and realistically enforceable". As it stands now the TSSAA would have to monitor every teacher and coach of every private school 24/7 to enforce their definition of "undue influence".

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Apr 29 2007 - 03:11 PM) 826447933[/snapback]I'm for this also...but I would add "and realistically enforceable". As it stands now the TSSAA would have to monitor every teacher and coach of every private school 24/7 to enforce their definition of "undue influence".

Not to mention, monitor every teacher or coach at every public school. Oh wait a minute, it's impossible for a public school to run afoul of recruiting rules because, as has been proven conclusively by MPH, publics do not recruit.

QUOTE(takedown3 @ Apr 30 2007 - 05:34 PM) 826448553[/snapback]Not to mention, monitor every teacher or coach at every public school. Oh wait a minute, it's impossible for a public school to run afoul of recruiting rules because, as has been proven conclusively by MPH, publics do not recruit.

Again you show your intelligence, I never made a comment that the publics do not recruit. Stick to the charater you know best, degrading, humilating, disrespect, ect..........I could go on and on, but you get the picture.