The Countdown Begins...

QUOTE(JuhaV??t?inen @ May 11 2007 - 11:44 AM) 826457322[/snapback]I think y'all need to update your biblical Hermeneutics. Paul was probably on of the most egalitarian theologians of the time. His Koinonia ethic spoke to this.

That doesn't mean that we should let them behind the wheel though. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

You've been hitting your Thesaurus and Dictionary pretty hard.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JuhaV??t?inen @ May 11 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826457322[/snapback]I think y'all need to update your biblical Hermeneutics. Paul was probably on of the most egalitarian theologians of the time. His Koinonia ethic spoke to this.

Highly questionable whether Paul's ethic of Koinonia extended fully and equally to women, however, not to mention slaves!

QUOTE(JuhaV??t?inen @ May 11 2007 - 12:44 PM) 826457322[/snapback]That doesn't mean that we should let them behind the wheel though. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

OK...I'm telling your Mom you said that! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

...as an aside...didn't Paul recruit? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(itzme @ May 12 2007 - 09:55 AM) 826457943[/snapback]Highly questionable whether Paul's ethic of Koinonia extended fully and equally to women, however, not to mention slaves!

OK...I'm telling your Mom you said that! /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

...as an aside...didn't Paul recruit? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Yeah! And they were Gentiles, too, the 1rst century equivalent of public school students.

My opinion for what its worth is. That if there is competition of any kind. Human nature is that someone will cheat. No matter if they go to church or do not beleive in God. Someone will cheat if it benifits them. Or if it gives them the winning edge. Human nature will never change. If a family plays a board game. Chances are someone will cheat. Its a sin. Its a lie. Can anyone in here say I dont sin? Its something to be expected. We actually watch for it to try and catch someone at it. If you want you child to play on a winning team. Move to the school district. I personally send my kid to the school that is in the district I moved into. I considered the school before the move. I didnt check sports program to see if they were winners or losers. I dont send my child to school to play sports. I send him there for a education. Sports come as something to do to keep him busy after school. If his grades slack I pull him from the team. Which has happend before. I support him and go to all the games. If his team loses. Im there. If they win Im there. Would I cheat for him to play a sport. NO! Life is not always going to let you win. Losing is something that needs to be learned early. I am not so sure I would want him to play on a team that won every game. What would that do for him when he does not win at something he attempts in life? Losing teaches you to work harder to win. How hard do you have to work to win if your entire team is made up of super strong talented players? Basically there is always the cheaters. No matter what the courts decide. That wont change. There is always the loophole and someone looking to take advantage. Its not fair. Life is not fair. I personally would not want my child playing for a school that I have knowledge of them cheating just to win. What would that teach him? You have to cheat to win. Have to lie to maintain your school dont cheat. When you cheat in life and get caught you go to jail. You are a criminal. JUST MAYBE sports have undermined our morals. The desire to play on a winning team over rides our moral judgement. There is one thing we all can agree on, you cant cheat your way into heaven. Just one more question. If you cheat to win is the victory as sweet as it would have been if you actually earned it by hard work and dedication fairly? Obviously theres a lot of yes answers or this forum would not be here to debated. Peace and love to all.

QUOTE(MO$$$$ @ May 12 2007 - 01:36 PM) 826457983[/snapback] My opinion for what its worth is. That if there is competition of any kind. Human nature is that someone will cheat. No matter if they go to church or do not beleive in God. Someone will cheat if it benifits them. Or if it gives them the winning edge. Human nature will never change. If a family plays a board game. Chances are someone will cheat. Its a sin. Its a lie. Can anyone in here say I dont sin? Its something to be expected. We actually watch for it to try and catch someone at it. If you want you child to play on a winning team. Move to the school district. I personally send my kid to the school that is in the district I moved into. I considered the school before the move. I didnt check sports program to see if they were winners or losers. I dont send my child to school to play sports. I send him there for a education. Sports come as something to do to keep him busy after school. If his grades slack I pull him from the team. Which has happend before. I support him and go to all the games. If his team loses. Im there. If they win Im there. Would I cheat for him to play a sport. NO! Life is not always going to let you win. Losing is something that needs to be learned early. I am not so sure I would want him to play on a team that won every game. What would that do for him when he does not win at something he attempts in life? Losing teaches you to work harder to win. How hard do you have to work to win if your entire team is made up of super strong talented players? Basically there is always the cheaters. No matter what the courts decide. That wont change. There is always the loophole and someone looking to take advantage. Its not fair. Life is not fair. I personally would not want my child playing for a school that I have knowledge of them cheating just to win. What would that teach him? You have to cheat to win. Have to lie to maintain your school dont cheat. When you cheat in life and get caught you go to jail. You are a criminal. JUST MAYBE sports have undermined our morals. The desire to play on a winning team over rides our moral judgement. There is one thing we all can agree on, you cant cheat your way into heaven. Just one more question. If you cheat to win is the victory as sweet as it would have been if you actually earned it by hard work and dedication fairly? Obviously theres a lot of yes answers or this forum would not be here to debated. Peace and love to all.

I would think that everyone on this forum would say no...the debate isn't about whether cheating is ok, I think we all agree it certainly isn't. Who on this forum do you think is ok with cheating? And, on the same note, what teams do you feel are "made up of super strong talented players" or has to "lie to maintain your school dont cheat"?

QUOTE(MO$$$$ @ May 12 2007 - 12:36 PM) 826457983[/snapback] My opinion for what its worth is. That if there is competition of any kind. Human nature is that someone will cheat. No matter if they go to church or do not beleive in God. Someone will cheat if it benifits them. Or if it gives them the winning edge. Human nature will never change. If a family plays a board game. Chances are someone will cheat. Its a sin. Its a lie. Can anyone in here say I dont sin? Its something to be expected. We actually watch for it to try and catch someone at it. If you want you child to play on a winning team. Move to the school district. I personally send my kid to the school that is in the district I moved into. I considered the school before the move. I didnt check sports program to see if they were winners or losers. I dont send my child to school to play sports. I send him there for a education. Sports come as something to do to keep him busy after school. If his grades slack I pull him from the team. Which has happend before. I support him and go to all the games. If his team loses. Im there. If they win Im there. Would I cheat for him to play a sport. NO! Life is not always going to let you win. Losing is something that needs to be learned early. I am not so sure I would want him to play on a team that won every game. What would that do for him when he does not win at something he attempts in life? Losing teaches you to work harder to win. How hard do you have to work to win if your entire team is made up of super strong talented players? Basically there is always the cheaters. No matter what the courts decide. That wont change. There is always the loophole and someone looking to take advantage. Its not fair. Life is not fair. I personally would not want my child playing for a school that I have knowledge of them cheating just to win. What would that teach him? You have to cheat to win. Have to lie to maintain your school dont cheat. When you cheat in life and get caught you go to jail. You are a criminal. JUST MAYBE sports have undermined our morals. The desire to play on a winning team over rides our moral judgement. There is one thing we all can agree on, you cant cheat your way into heaven. Just one more question. If you cheat to win is the victory as sweet as it would have been if you actually earned it by hard work and dedication fairly? Obviously theres a lot of yes answers or this forum would not be here to debated. Peace and love to all.

I completely agree -- and I send my kids to Brentwood Academy. What the school has taught them has nothing to do with winning and loosing and everything to do with doing their best academically, spiritually and athletically.

QUOTE(fan6 @ May 14 2007 - 03:07 PM) 826458985[/snapback]I completely agree -- and I send my kids to Brentwood Academy. What the school has taught them has nothing to do with winning and loosing and everything to do with doing their best academically, spiritually and athletically.

I guess your statement summarizes the debate. You do what you think is best for your kids. I don't see how anyone can argue with that. JMHO

QUOTE(Bighurt @ May 16 2007 - 09:17 AM) 826460164[/snapback]I guess your statement summarizes the debate. You do what you think is best for your kids. I don't see how anyone can argue with that. JMHO

Brentwood Academy didn't mind one bit that he was a very good athlete.

QUOTE(fan6 @ May 14 2007 - 03:07 PM) 826458985[/snapback]I completely agree -- and I send my kids to Brentwood Academy. What the school has taught them has nothing to do with winning and loosing and everything to do with doing their best academically, spiritually and athletically.

Amen. And it may surprise you to know there is public schools that also teach the kids the same things. Like privates all public schools are not the same. Winning is the objective but not the most important thing to be learned in Highschool football. When you are pro you are paid to win. Thats another story. The basic life lessons should already been learned by then. However as of late that has not happened. Seems the basics have been overlooked, or not learned. Hopefully more kids will be taught the basic morals by the highschool coaches. A coach is the most important mentor to a HS football player. A coach in Highschool only interested in winning and not teaching moral values along with football should be coaching at another level. Problem is a coach with the big dream of coaching at a higher level is dependant on his winning record not his morals or teachings. That applies to both private and public schools. Its a shame what our present world demands from everyone to live our dreams.

I can understand private schools having to advertise to keep up enrolement. I dont agree with targeted advertising for mostly athletes and wanting to play in the same class with schools who are dependant on athletes who live in the county school district. That I think is what privates are accused of. Am I on target here or have I missed something? For a private coach to say to the best athlete on an opposing team come play for me. Would that be recruting? Or would that be considered advertisement for enrolement? Anyone want to field the above qusetions?

QUOTE(MO$$$$ @ May 16 2007 - 03:26 PM) 826460440[/snapback]Amen. And it may surprise you to know there is public schools that also teach the kids the same things. Like privates all public schools are not the same. Winning is the objective but not the most important thing to be learned in Highschool football. When you are pro you are paid to win. Thats another story. The basic life lessons should already been learned by then. However as of late that has not happened. Seems the basics have been overlooked, or not learned. Hopefully more kids will be taught the basic morals by the highschool coaches. A coach is the most important mentor to a HS football player. A coach in Highschool only interested in winning and not teaching moral values along with football should be coaching at another level. Problem is a coach with the big dream of coaching at a higher level is dependant on his winning record not his morals or teachings. That applies to both private and public schools. Its a shame what our present world demands from everyone to live our dreams.

I can understand private schools having to advertise to keep up enrolement. I dont agree with targeted advertising for mostly athletes and wanting to play in the same class with schools who are dependant on athletes who live in the county school district. That I think is what privates are accused of. Am I on target here or have I missed something? For a private coach to say to the best athlete on an opposing team come play for me. Would that be recruting? Or would that be considered advertisement for enrolement? Anyone want to field the above qusetions?

That would get you a call from the TSSAA, the opposing coach and the Nashville Tennessean. On the other hand (sounds like an economist, doesn't it?), what if a private school parent tells the parent of the public school athlete that the private school has the a wonderful learning environment, great teachers and coaches and if they can qualify academically and financially, there might be scholarship money available? Is that recruiting (not so far as the TSSAA is concerned) or pride in your school? Does the private school have advantages over the public? You betcha. Is it "unfair"? Don't think so because those advantages have a price which you can either pay or not.

QUOTE(Bill#49 @ May 16 2007 - 01:25 PM) 826460317[/snapback]Brentwood Academy didn't mind one bit that he was a very good athlete.

Not athletic at all (take after their father . . .). Good academically and very active in theater and forensics (take after thier mother. . . )