Why does everybody accept TSSAA rules

LadyEaglesFan

Its amazing how the TSSAA can make up rules which hurt the opportunities of young athletes who are trying to get a college scholarship. With the new rules just handed down High School fall leagues have been eliminated. Athletes who are going to try and get a college scholarship have just lost valuable time in practicing their skills. I'm sure the TSSAA will say that these athletes need the time off. I don't think that fall ball is mandatory with most programs. Most girls play in the fall because they enjoy the game. What are these players going to do now that they don't have high school fall leagues. I can't believe that we who support high school sports just stand around and let the TSSAA leadership dictate such rule changes without a fight. I would like to know your comments.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LadyEaglesFan @ Apr 22 2007 - 06:52 PM) 826442981[/snapback]Its amazing how the TSSAA can make up rules which hurt the opportunities of young athletes who are trying to get a college scholarship. With the new rules just handed down High School fall leagues have been eliminated. Athletes who are going to try and get a college scholarship have just lost valuable time in practicing their skills. I'm sure the TSSAA will say that these athletes need the time off. I don't think that fall ball is mandatory with most programs. Most girls play in the fall because they enjoy the game. What are these players going to do now that they don't have high school fall leagues. I can't believe that we who support high school sports just stand around and let the TSSAA leadership dictate such rule changes without a fight. I would like to know your comments.

Every school has a say in the rules. Every coach knows, or certainly should know, who the TSSAA Board of Control and Legislative Council members are for their region. Those members vote the way that the schools in their region tell them to.

Teams can get together and let a few from each team play with members from other teams and still participate in fall leagues. Playing with other players might be beneficial, too.

QUOTE(LadyEaglesFan @ Apr 22 2007 - 06:52 PM) 826442981[/snapback]Its amazing how the TSSAA can make up rules which hurt the opportunities of young athletes who are trying to get a college scholarship. With the new rules just handed down High School fall leagues have been eliminated. Athletes who are going to try and get a college scholarship have just lost valuable time in practicing their skills. I'm sure the TSSAA will say that these athletes need the time off. I don't think that fall ball is mandatory with most programs. Most girls play in the fall because they enjoy the game. What are these players going to do now that they don't have high school fall leagues. I can't believe that we who support high school sports just stand around and let the TSSAA leadership dictate such rule changes without a fight. I would like to know your comments.

Brentwood Academy spent over ten million dollars trying to get a rule clarified over twelve years that's gone to the Supreme Court twice and is there now. What do you think?

I would say that a majority of the coaches didn't know that this rule change was going to pass. I myself didn't see anything in the paper until it had passed. Fall leagues really don't pertain to coaches anyway. Usually parents are the coaches during fall league. I personally don't know who these boardmembers are anyway. But their vote has hurt a lot of young players chances of improving their skills. Not only do they take away constructive practicing they also force them to find something else to do in their spare time. Lets cut to the chase and lay it on the table. The TSSAA doesn't get money from these off season sports and they probably pull away from other sports that are in season. I guarantee you if the TSSAA recieved finances from these off season sports they would still be playing.

QUOTE(LadyEaglesFan @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:49 PM) 826443005[/snapback]I would say that a majority of the coaches didn't know that this rule change was going to pass. I myself didn't see anything in the paper until it had passed. Fall leagues really don't pertain to coaches anyway. Usually parents are the coaches during fall league. I personally don't know who these boardmembers are anyway. But their vote has hurt a lot of young players chances of improving their skills. Not only do they take away constructive practicing they also force them to find something else to do in their spare time. Lets cut to the chase and lay it on the table. The TSSAA doesn't get money from these off season sports and they probably pull away from other sports that are in season. I guarantee you if the TSSAA recieved finances from these off season sports they would still be playing.

I don't like the changes myself but I'm sure the players that really want to play in the fall will find a league.

QUOTE(coacht @ Apr 22 2007 - 07:36 PM) 826443000[/snapback]Every school has a say in the rules. Every coach knows, or certainly should know, who the TSSAA Board of Control and Legislative Council members are for their region. Those members vote the way that the schools in their region tell them to.

Teams can get together and let a few from each team play with members from other teams and still participate in fall leagues. Playing with other players might be beneficial, too.

In case you want to know who they are:

http://tssaa.org/BoardofControl/boardof.htm

http://tssaa.org/LegislativeCouncil/legislat.htm

Contact them, I am sure they would like to hear your opinion along with everyone else's and it is free.

IMO, the primary goal of the TSSAA is to provide a level field of play for all their member schools. The student athlete is the pawn. You will know that the TSSAA truely cares about developing athletes when there is an athlete representative for each sport on the board of the TSSAA.

Play travel ball. Plenty of college exposure tournaments in the fall. I doubt you ever saw a college coach at a high school "fall league" game.

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Apr 22 2007 - 10:05 PM) 826443146[/snapback]Play travel ball. Plenty of college exposure tournaments in the fall. I doubt you ever saw a college coach at a high school "fall league" game.

Agree Agree!!!!! Play some exposure tournaments with your travel team. Really if you want your girl to play

college ball you better go to some exposure tournaments and not worry about High school (REC) fall league where no one sees stats or your daughter. TSSAA?????? Well.....If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! Nothing else to Say!

The new rules dealing with the sports calendar were talked about in rules meetings across the state. Every coach had an opportunity to contact their respective legislative council member. I know for a fact in middle Tenn. the council members were contacted by softball coaches. The council member that represents my area, Rick Martin, voted the way his coaches in the area wanted. There were other council members that voted the way that Ronnie Carter and his crew wanted the vote to go. The state association continues to put out their propaganda that they are for the betterment of the athlete and coaches. I do not see that as the case. The MTSCA did a pole of members and the majority wanted the sports calendar to stay the same. I am also sick of people saying why do we let this go on. If you appeal anything with TSSAA it is a joke. Mr. Carter can rule on any situation that he wants and there is nothing a school or individual can do about it. Each school signs a form stating that they will abide by all rules set forth by the legislative council and Mr. Carter. This is a catch all phrase. Until there is another option other than TSSAA for schools to play, TSSAA will continue to do whatever they want and there is nothing any school can do about it. I ready to see a TSSAA financial report and see what our director makes and for how long he is going to stay in his post. In my opinion he must be like a supreme court justice and have his appointment for life.

QUOTE(stlbrd @ Apr 22 2007 - 11:05 PM) 826443146[/snapback]Play travel ball. Plenty of college exposure tournaments in the fall. I doubt you ever saw a college coach at a high school "fall league" game.

This has more truth then most pe /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ople realize. You might see a local college coach at the state tourny, if your daughter wants to get prepared for college she must travel and play against the top talent in the nation. My daughter has yet to have college coach say "hey we saw you in the cane ridge fall league". Get your team qualified for the rising stars tourny in florida in October. Great fall tournament and plenty of colleges. Tssaa is in a world of thier own, this is why Alabama and Georgia are getting better and we keep falling behind