Field size

VeerCoach

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(straightbill307 @ Apr 24 2007 - 09:25 PM) 826444520[/snapback]I know Lexington, Goodpasture, and Unicoi Co. are all porches.

have played at three of these and they are all atleast 300 down the lines and 330 in center

I was referring to parks shorter than these

The best answer to this problem would be to go back to using wooden bats!! I think New York has already put that rule into action. It will be a lot less expensive than major changes to park dimensions. It will definitely do more to put a stop to cheap homers than making all fields at least 300 down the lines and 330 in center. Just another take on the situation.

None of you all have ever been to Lewisburg have you ?

It's just the opposite.

Down the lines is reasonable, but this baseball/football field is

about 2 miles to deep center & 2&1/2 to 3 miles in the gaps.

I've seen a few actually go out in some of the deepest parts of the

park, but you'll see a lot more exciting triples if the ball makes the gap.

It's a long lonely run for an outfielder if he gets burnt !!!

QUOTE(tigerman @ Apr 25 2007 - 06:15 AM) 826444758[/snapback]None of you all have ever been to Lewisburg have you ?

It's just the opposite.

That field cracks me up. The right field line is reasonable, but left field can't be more than 285. The funny thing is how far it is to left center. It's a definite triple, and most guys can turn a ball that reaches that gap into an inside-the-park HR. I want to meet the high school player that can get one out where the fence turns in left center. Has it ever been done?

MLB's rules:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/offic...bjectives_1.jsp

The distance from home base to the nearest fence, stand or other obstruction on fair territory shall be 250 feet or more. A distance of 320 feet or more along the foul lines, and 400 feet or more to center field is preferable.

Dimensions of various MLB Parks?

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/national/

and

http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/american/

If you have been around Tennessee High School baseball as long as I have, and been to most of the fields around the state, you will start to see a pattern.

As you go from East to West the fields will start to get bigger and bigger.

I have pondered this with several coaching buddies of mine and the concesus seems to be that the bigger-stouter young men come from the mountains and the quicker, faster kids come from the western half of the state. So the fields in the east are shorter for the long ball and the fields in the west are bigger for the speed game.

Sort of Earl Weaver's 3-run homer offense versus Whitey Herzog's single-steal-and-doubles in the gap offense

QUOTE(tigerman @ Apr 25 2007 - 06:15 AM) 826444758[/snapback]None of you all have ever been to Lewisburg have you ?

It's just the opposite.

Dang! That's the same field they played on when I was playing in the 70's. There used to be a concession stand down the left field line that the homeruns would bounce off of, but it had to be right down the line. It was more than 400 in straight away center.

I think it adds character to have odd shaped fields and short porches. Puts a little strategy in the game when you've got a short side of the field.