DNJ?.....

Winners Inc

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Apr 27 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826447163[/snapback]Has anyone thought about approaching their local papers and volunteering to do some freelance articles?

I know that I have been to every single baseball game DB played this year and I could not write an article I could at least take enough information to a newspaper staff sports writer that he could turn it into a worthwhile article on each game.

Just a thought, but I am willing to bet every High School in this state has a couple fans that do not miss a single game for their respective sports both home an away games.

One of our coaches calls it in every night we play with each players stats, records and everything they need ... of course if our game goes past 9pm, it does not make the paper until the next print day. Even when it is in the paper, it is a whole 2 sentences! They are so used to us covering our own games they sit at the desk waiting on the calls.

PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(1moreDBmom @ Apr 27 2007 - 08:54 PM) 826447163[/snapback]Has anyone thought about approaching their local papers and volunteering to do some freelance articles?

I know that I have been to every single baseball game DB played this year and I could not write an article I could at least take enough information to a newspaper staff sports writer that he could turn it into a worthwhile article on each game.

Just a thought, but I am willing to bet every High School in this state has a couple fans that do not miss a single game for their respective sports both home an away games.

That is basically what is taking place - but with the 8:00 deadline and the new tighter budget your cub report gets printed two days later and undergoes some serious editing for space.....

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 28 2007 - 12:25 AM) 826447335[/snapback]was the DNJ at the rhs-shs game tonight?

Brother Boclair was there tonight - good people!

Here is his story:

HS Baseball: Siegel finally tops Riverdale, clinches second

And they have a later deadline on Friday nights (it is Football night after all!) so it may make this morning's paper????

I cancelled my subscription to "The Tennessean" several years ago because of the lack of coverage of AA sports in general and Page in particular. I starting posting here about Page's games in volleyball, basketball, and baseball so there would be something for those to read who could not make the games. In baseball this season I have called in most of Page's games, but only about half have appeared in the online edition of "The Tennessean". Even then, you only get the score as the "Details" link shows a blank with no box score. I even sent an email to Larry Taft the High School Sports Coordinator with our missing games, but it took two weeks before the scores appeared. Several times I could not make their 10 PM deadline for our away games so the only way to get the score in would be by email the next day. There just isn't any interest in high school baseball by "The Tennessean" and other papers in the area.

QUOTE(magoo043 @ Apr 28 2007 - 01:25 AM) 826447335[/snapback]was the DNJ at the rhs-shs game tonight?

Well, one more thing that might work, if they are too lazy to take the information you provide for them and turn it into a decent article, is for a group of sports parents to trickle in over a few weeks and cancel their subscriptions notifying the manager one at a time that you will not be taking the paper until the sports coverage improves... a good old fashioned boycott of the sports section that hits the whole paper might be the only solution to get lazy reporters back to doing their job.

Preaching to the choir is not much good because the choir already beleives and supports you...you've got to go get the sinner! In this situation the sinner seems to be the sport reporter and as long as the paper sells and no flack is thrown at the editor, business will continue as usual.

Gather a crowd and start hitting them in the wallet and with complaints.