Drug use

I agree with that last point and post. Are you a parent or an athlete? I like to find out which side is being represented. As a parent I would like to know if my child is using. Sad thing is that many times parents know and just turn the other cheek until something bad happens and then they blame the system.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was an athlete, and I am now enrolled in college to maybe one day become a coach. You maybe can have your child thouroughly tested, if you want, especially if there has been an indescretion before. Just see your family physician and he may be able to give you an order for outpatient testing. If not, you can always check the services of companies like Quest Diagnostics, who has an office in St. Louis, to request a testing kit. All of the testing through Quest can be done by mail.

QUOTE(Harris @ May 1 2007 - 10:52 PM) 826449668[/snapback]I would definitly go with the clear....

But in all seriousness, it comes down to one thing. $$$

To test every football player in the state with an ACCURATE test would cost potentially millions, and TSSAA would ever be willing to do. Sure some schools use a cheap type but you can get by it if you know what your doing.

Nice,f9d.

rcombs, very educated and intelligent information. I would like to congratulate your coaches on what they must have instilled in you. It is great to see someone who wants to give coaches credit instead of maligning them which is much more prevalent today. Good luck in your pursuit of your education. Also, make sure to give some of the credit to your coaches. They love to see that type of stuff on here

QUOTE(Straight up @ May 1 2007 - 03:47 PM) 826449318[/snapback]Absolutely right. Anabolic steroid use is cheating as well as foolish. Those who abuse such substances only hinder themselves in the long run.

This is more widespread that most realize. I have been around various HS programs....and the ones on it are easy to spot....the massive breakout of sores on their bodies....the block look. Anyone that has been around gyms can tell quickly.

It is sad to see. Coaches have to be able to tell.......by both appearance and the sudden gains in strength. I wish that the sport was clean from it.....but in today...won't happen. The young men that choose not to use are the ones that lose out now (the opportunity to compete for a position on the team that they might have an opportunity to make on a level playing field), but down the road.....they don't have to worry about having to "Pay the Piper" so to speak. No one can tell who will have the side effects from the use.......now or later. I can't see testing for all ever coming down the pipe....and proper testing! I guess we will have to live with it for now.....its a shame....but its the facts.

As a former player, my entire team was tested every year. The problem with that was we were tested during our spring physicals and we knew that date several months in advance. While this may have affected the effectiveness of the testing, I know for a fact that no one on my team used steroids. Some may think that it is impossible to know for a fact what anyone else is doing, but these were guys I practically lived with for 4+ years. We worked out together everyday and our max weights were posted on the wall of the field house every time we recorded them. Most of these were guys i went to school with since kindergarten. The reason no one used them is simple. an outstanding group of coaches. Not only did they instill into us the importance of ethics, hard work, and doing things right, there is not a single shred of doubt in my mind that if our middle linebacker, quarterback, lineman, or anyone else was using steroids and a coach knew about it, he would not have played. Period. Our coaches cared too much about our health and us a people. The truth is testing will never be able to eliminate steroid use. The only way it could come close would be if a TSSAA representative personally came to every field house unannounced and drew names out of a hat to be tested. That wont happen. 1) because it would be too expensive 2) because the lawsuits that would ensue would be too expensive. Its high school athletics. you just cant do that. The responsibility has to be put on those who spend the most time with the players. The coaches, and most overlooked and possibly most important, TEAMMATES. I was a captain. I would not have allowed one of my teammates to use steroids uncontested. I would have talked to them myself and if that didn't help i would have talked to a coach. If anyone out there knows someone who is using steroids please do what ever it takes to help them. And if you get them to stop, by what ever means necessary, regardless of what they think about it, you are helping them. It just isn't worth it.

Amen! Atheletes think its a shortcut and a good way to get the "Edge". But speaking for myself, never using any substance to accell my perfomance besides the over the counter supplements(whey protein,Creatine), it's an even greater feeling knowing that I increased my strength NATURALLY. And when it's Natural..it will last

Well I think that all players should be drug tested, In order to compete but the only thing is. Schools with great traditions would be suprised to find out who does drugs and who doesn't. Not just Anabolics. And lets get realistic if the teams best running back tested positive for Pot...... And his family had a little money there would be a lawsuit quicker than i can snapp my fingers. Where do you draw the line between having a little fun in high school and really damaging your chances to ever succeed in sports "the right way" I personally don't think there is anything wrong with a athlete that wants to smoke pot during high school. But when their starting spot comes under attack by a 300 lb freshman and thier bench suddenly sky rockets. THats when the coach needs to step in and say. "EARN IT"

come on football geek...NOTHING WRONG WITH A KID SMOKING POT IN HIGH SCHOOL? GET REAL, THERE IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH IT! i hope you are not a coach, because any coach worth their weight, would have a problem with your statemen, and I DO! STEROIDS is wrong too!

Speaking as a parent and a former player I can tell you one thing, STEROIDS will kill you. I have seen it. I am in favor of every player being tested radomly. Especially after playoff games. After Championship games EVERY player needs to be tested. Until this happens we will all always wonder and speculate.

As to drug testing in general in school for ANY illegal substance, I am in favor of it for EVERYONE in the school system. Kids, teachers, administrators, heck even the janitors and lunch room folks! I have seen too many lives wasted by drugs over the last 30 years in law enforcement and military.

This stance may not be popular, but it is how I feel.