7AAA District Tourney

fudge

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(pedo_29 @ May 11 2007 - 01:59 PM) 826457365[/snapback]Well if I were Cookeville I would have drilled somebody when Oakland took off stealing third up 14-0. I realize Hawks likely didn't put that on and the runner probably went on his own...but I would hope players on this level....especially at the level of Oakland...know a little bit more about what's going on. That being said...Oakland is the most impressive h/s team I've ever seen.

From what i've heard some of Oakland's players were still upset from the 2006 season when Cookeville was up 10-2 and continued stealing in the later part of the game. Personally I don't remember the steal from the game but I'd it was the players who probably decided to keep pouring it on in retaliation from the previous season.

QUOTE(4-6-3 @ May 13 2007 - 11:19 AM) 826458386[/snapback]Has a TN team ever been ranked #1 in the country at the end of the season?

Germantown has at least once that I know of, with that unbeaten juggernaut of a team they had in 95. Oakland had a great team that year as well, but just couldnt get over the hump. Anyways, even if Oakland does win out, Ill be suprised if they become #1, Seton Hall looks like a monster and I dont know if they will even lose a game this year

QUOTE(SiegelNation07 @ May 11 2007 - 01:51 PM) 826457359[/snapback]Breaking up a perfect game with a bunt is some garbage. If I were Oakland I would have DRILLED the next batter. They maintained composure though. Limbaugh I admire your intellegince on here, but road trips or not Oakland was going to beat the snot out of them. It was a ticked off team seeking revenge for a perfect season ruined and they did just that. Cookeville looked like a little league team out there last night with multiple mental lapses. That was the worst caught game I have watched all year. They got there though so congrats. Beatin The Dale twice is an impressive accomplishment, but I dont see anyone getting in the way of Oakland. Its like a train gaining momentum. Best team i have seen all year by far. Hope they go get a ring.

SiegelNation - there is a HUGE difference between playing a game you WANT to win and playing in a game you HAVE to win. The play the second baseman of Cookeville made against Riverdale in the 7th inning with a runner on 2nd and one out in a 1-run game was a play someone makes in a game they HAVE to win. Any other game that ball may get through or the throw may sail into the on deck batters circle but the body and mind are amazing things and do some amazing things sometimes - that is what makes sports so much fun to watch.

I heard more than one comment about how Cookeville looked like a little league team that night. For someone who has been around the game for 40+ years, and played more than one softball tournament where we have lost the first game on a Friday night and then had to battle thru the losers bracket all day Saturday and into Sunday in such tropical places as Eufala, Alabama and Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and several points in between, I can tell you there are days when the mind is willing but the body just won't comply....

Yes - Oakland WANTS to win Every Game they play. And YES, Every team wants to be the one that reads in the USA Today "Oakland lost to ..... " Cookeville wanted to be that team Thursday night. They HAD to be the team that sweeps Riverdale the night before.

And Monday, EVERYONE HAS to win - so we should see some pretty good baseball across the state.

As Far as Oakland running the table, keep in mind that the top-2-ranked teams last year, Riverdale and Ooltewah, both went 2 and out....

And over the years there have been some great games at some surprises at Spring Fling. Just ask the folks at Christian Brothers last year.

There are several good AAA teams - and some of them may not even get to Murfreesboro....

I wouldn't mind seeing an Oakland vs Smyrna or Oakland vs Bartlett or Oakland vs DB or Oakland vs Science Hill game at MTSU on a Friday night.... But I have a hunch

my buddies at Houston and Collierville and Soddy Daisy and ... would like to see someone else there

Riverdale has a tendency of losing in state in recent history, Oakland as a tendency of getting there and winning. Oakland won two tournaments this year with the top teams in the state in them both. I dont remember riverdale being nationally ranked last year and having many commitments for D1 baseball. This Oakland team has both. I cheered for Riverdale everytime they had made state btw so no hard feelings there. But this Oakland team is a really good ball team. I think they can win state. I dont see how right now you can see anyone getting in Oaklands path. If Brett Wilson continues to pitch as well as he has then they have 3 excellent starters they can throw at you along with a deep lineup.