red cards

rednex41

QUOTE(chindit @ May 8 2007 - 12:43 PM) 826454462[/snapback]As a ref this past season, I haven't posted in ref threads. But...can't...hold...back....

Turbocab- as far as governing the game, if not TSSAA, then who? FIFA? USSF? What happens when a player draws 2, 3 red cards in a season? Maybe he doesn't care about the fine, maybe the school pays it, I don't know. What if the coach (and the fans) support the player?

I sent off a kid this season for cursing me in front of the opposing teams fans. For 30 minutes I was derided by home team parents for carding the kid, one mother even said, "If you'd throw more cards, he wouldn't have to get so mad". His coach didn't apologize, the other players on his team laughed about it and I heard he was ejected again a few weeks later, for the same thing.

He hasn't learned a thing, only me.

In College, 5 cautions earns a one match suspension; I liked that.

I would propose that as referee associations, when a team amasses so many cautions and ejections, if they don't discipline themselves, the association stop supporting the school.

Try to schedule a home match when no referees will come to your field.

I did read a post a few weeks ago that I applauded, someone said it well; Before you decide I'm too old or out of shape or didn't play the game and don't understand you try to keep in mind, 80% of the men and women that call matches do it for the love of soccer. I leave my job early, don't do my chores, drive 30 or 40 minutes and get paid hardly nothing, to what? get cursed at by some 15 yr old or get called names by angry women? I can stay home, my wife and kids will do that for free...

Great points. While some of the defense of the high number of cards a few posts back is dead on some of the problems in the high school game a very concerning. I think the TSSAA should look at rules for players who end up with 2 or more red cards in a season. Either the TSSAA will have to start policing the game tighter or the lawyers and school boards will. That will be much worse.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We as people who love this game need to police ourselves. If I had a player who received repeated red cards, he wouldn't be on my team very long. A team cannot function well on a long-term basis without discipline. Good teams and programs will take care of themselves.

Yes, there are situations that arise that are unacceptable (like those you've described). Here I am responding to a single situation. If the same team or same player are involved in multiple incidents, then there is something to talk about. Teams canrefuse to schedule other problem teams and referee schedulers assign strong crews to the games where problems most often exist it. It won't take very long-these problem players and coaches will soon find themselves isolated on the outside looking in. I just don't think another TSSAA rule to enforce can be nearly as effective as pressures applied from within the community: Schools, coaches, referees and players all working together.

QUOTE(Nashville Panther @ May 8 2007 - 02:46 PM) 826454542[/snapback]great points turbocab. The best place for these problems to be solved is by the coaches, parents and players. Whether or not it is possible for the coaches to do this remains to be seen.

However, my main point is if things don't improve the TSSAA will step in or worse - lawyers and or the school boards.

Science Hill is a good example. In previous years there was always so much talk and their style of play was such that nobody wanted to play them. Many teams simply refused.

This year, no talk, great to play. I'll bet they have no trouble scheduling games in the future.

Problem solved.

QUOTE(Canesoverhere @ May 8 2007 - 02:21 PM) 826454573[/snapback]Some schools suspend players from school for Red Cards to enforce the severity of receiving one. Until every football player at the school who receives a penalty flag for unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct, or taunting recceives the same punishment, I will not support it.

This is my point exactly and no offense to the ref who posted, but the rules are so unequally enforced. A foul in one game is not in the next. A yellow card in one game isnt even a foul in the next. Players and coaches get very frustrated by the total inconcistencies out there. Can this be fixed..I dont know...but to suspend players for a hard foul. Like was posted what about personal fouls in basketball and football. Do they sit out a game...no. How about the fact that many refs now will not even speak to a player/coach to let him even question a call. I've heard many times a coach or player being told to shut up. At the district tourney last night a fan yelled at the ref about a " bad call" on two occasions. The ref had him ejected from the game. I was just watching the game and not even involved but I thought it was really weak to eject him. Geez in basketball they would have to clear the stands. Okay enough rant. Is reffeing a thankless job...yes, is it well paid...eh I disagree a little $55 for 2 hours isnt horrible( not great either), do refs need to lighten up on red cards...absolutely. I think they should always reach for yellow execpt in extreme cases. Just my opinion.

QUOTE(Canesoverhere @ May 8 2007 - 02:21 PM) 826454573[/snapback]Some schools suspend players from school for Red Cards to enforce the severity of receiving one. Until every football player at the school who receives a penalty flag for unnecessary roughness, unsportsmanlike conduct, or taunting recceives the same punishment, I will not support it.

At Shelbyville Central the kids have to sit out the one game per tssaa plus one or possibally two depending on the severity of the foul. If it happens again ,out for the rest of the season or off the team . I agree with this policy 100%. In case people have not noticed , and i have seen it this year , alot of the kids playing are getting out of hand.

HEY GUYS AND GALS PLAYING SOCCER PLEASE REMEMBER, YOUR ACTIONS ON THE FIELD

DIRECTLY EFFECT YOUR TEAM SCHOOL AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR PARENTS.

nuf said let the district play continue and good luck to all !!!!!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a late hit in football or a personal foul in basketball is not an ejection. A red card in soccer is. To get ejected from one of the lesser sports, it usually has to involve fighting. I can't speak for outside of Rutherford Co, but an ejection us usually a trip to meet with the principal. It is then at their discression as to whether it warrents ISS or OSS. Usually in the case of soft reds, its a lecture on controlling yourself. Fighting & cursing usually ends up as OSS or worse.

While tough on the players and the coaches, the refs have to have a way to control the game. A few yellows usually does the trick if they are immediate and not for cumulative offensed late into the game. IMHO swearing should be initially a yellow. If it continues, take it to a soft red. That is unless the swearing is at someone. I recently witnessed a young man swearing profusely at a center in a foiegn language. It was obvious that the official did not speak the language, or his entire family would have been blushing. It wasn't until the player flew the bird that he got a yellow.

I somewhat agree that yellow should be the first choice. That said, consistency on what constitutes a red is necessary.

QUOTE(YellowCardFever @ May 8 2007 - 01:55 PM) 826454597[/snapback]This is my point exactly and no offense to the ref who posted, but the rules are so unequally enforced. A foul in one game is not in the next. A yellow card in one game isnt even a foul in the next. Players and coaches get very frustrated by the total inconcistencies out there. Can this be fixed..I dont know...but to suspend players for a hard foul. Like was posted what about personal fouls in basketball and football. Do they sit out a game...no. How about the fact that many refs now will not even speak to a player/coach to let him even question a call. I've heard many times a coach or player being told to shut up. At the district tourney last night a fan yelled at the ref about a " bad call" on two occasions. The ref had him ejected from the game. I was just watching the game and not even involved but I thought it was really weak to eject him. Geez in basketball they would have to clear the stands. Okay enough rant. Is reffeing a thankless job...yes, is it well paid...eh I disagree a little $55 for 2 hours isnt horrible( not great either), do refs need to lighten up on red cards...absolutely. I think they should always reach for yellow execpt in extreme cases. Just my opinion.

these are different sports, in football they wear pads, we chose to enjoy the game of soccer

Well i think its childish this is a game there will be cards given but i can speak for me and my son since we are from Germany. here it is unreal my son received a red card for stupid stuff he said that when the reff blew him offsides he said thats a late call and gave him a red and said my son cussed him which he never cussed at all. This game here is unreal with the reffs how can in a soccer game there only be 1 reff there needs to be 3 or at least 2 the game was Bartlett Vs Millington he ran and ran and ran till he couldnt there needs to be something done about these reffs to.

yellowcardfever- If I took offense, I wouldn't be a ref!@!! (some humor); we do train, we work with different partners to learn and compare but in the end I would tell you honestly, I strive to be consistant from game to game. I have not been; but I strive to be- and just with me, I don't ever go to Nashville or Johnson City, I have no clue how matches are called there. I played HS (in 1969!!) I've refereed, coached and what I consider the worst job in soccer, a keeper's dad in competitive!

And the pay, don't let that confuse you. I leave my office about 3:30 for a 5:30 start, when I ref in a community 40 miles away, which I do fairly often. I get home at 9:30, buy myself a coke and a candy bar and use 4 or 5 gallons of gas. Do the math.

KeeperFan15- I don't compare Soccer to any other sport. In football, the rules are different, the pads are different and there are like 7 on the field officials for 22; in basketball, 3 to govern the behavior of 10 players. Imagine a soocer match with 3,4,5 men running around, getting in the way, blowing whistles, calling off the ball fouls, come on, now...just the thought of that makes you cringe. So, it's the integrity of the game that ends up being what's at stake. The center ref or 2 man, has just himself, his experience and knowledge (or lack of it) and the spirit and integrity of the game. And a whistle. Forgot that.

Pretty simple, really, just like the game. Don't curse at the ref or your opponant saving us all that pesky paper work. Simple enough. And tell your dad, "hey pop, stop screaming like a madman at the ref. It's embarrasing"

FIFA writes the rules and 192 countries agree on them. We try to enforce them, you play by them. Let's keep the courts out of it.