South Doyle v. D-B

quittalkingandplay

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ May 18 2007 - 09:45 PM) 826462301[/snapback]All right WaCoJaCo, you nailed it again. They can trash talk you all they want but you were right man.

You had a great thread last fall when Dobyns-Bennett lost 1st round of playoffs for 2nd or 3rd straight time.

I know what you're thinking - coaching. You've made that abundantly clear. I didn't agree with that on the football thread but I can't see any other explanation for these losses in this case. I mean, they beat these teams in regular season. They just seem to come unglued in playoffs. Granted, I was just listening on the radio but sounds like they were out pitched and out batted by a good margin. What else could that be besides coaching? I asking, not saying. You don't loose talent in this short a time period. Are they just tired? Were they psyched out? Jinxed? Cursed??

Congratulations to South Doyle. You deserved the win.

One other comment. Grand experiment? The coach is just not that kind of smart. You are obviously delusional if you believe there was some experiment regarding loosing to get in a bracket or whatever other grand schemes you may believe there were. Years ago with Coach Whited, maybe.

I have said it before on this forum and I will say it again. Weekend tournies and non district matchups are rarely indicitive of a teams talent. I don't think Bell pitched against DB because they saved him fo games against Farragut/William Blount/Bearden/Maryville. I can't see how you could blame your coach tonight. You give Chad a 1 or 2 run lead and you are in real trouble. Between Chad and Ryan in the district/regionals/sectionals they probably only allowed 3 or 4 runs. They probably struck out 50 or 60 batters. (Where is STAT person DBmom when you need those stats /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> And this does not even count fireballer Brentz in the mix. Coach Howard and Browning have utilized this pitching rotation all regular season to optimize their teams standings in the all important district. I think the toughest top to bottom in the state.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(plowboy2 @ May 18 2007 - 10:01 PM) 826462325[/snapback]No excuses we lost,we did not hit and that was the best pitcher that I have seen in a long time in high school.Chad Bell did a great job and so did all the cherokee players.They beat our ace pitcher in Bo Burton with the long ball in a small ball field.That's baseball.Best of luck to South Doyle at the Boro.

I can't say how disappointed I am. I can only imagine the players. I really thought this might be our year to win it all. It's hard to understand how a team can be so dominant during regular season and so mediocre in post season. And what's even more mind boggling is it seems to happen every year in both football and baseball. Could it be that the players (or coaches) have some kind of mental block almost like a phobia of the post season? Maybe we should consult with Science Hill's coaching staff to find out how to peak at the right time. I'm sorry I sound like sour grapes, but dog gone it, it's just frustrating.

QUOTE(Stonewall @ May 18 2007 - 10:14 PM) 826462344[/snapback]Exactly right. I've started many an argument defending the Tribe, but I'm here as promised to take any grief. We got whipped, we gagged, and there are some tough questions out there that I'm sure most don't want answered.

I'm asking. Anybody out there who has followed the Tribe all season long, been at many or most games, and is not too biased (that is without a young man on the team), what the devil happened? It just appears to me that as the haters say, they choked during playoffs.

QUOTE(DBTeepee @ May 18 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826462357[/snapback]I can't say how disappointed I am. I can only imagine the players. I really thought this might be our year to win it all. It's hard to understand how a team can be so dominant during regular season and so mediocre in post season. And what's even more mind boggling is it seems to happen every year in both football and baseball. Could it be that the players (or coaches) have some kind of mental block almost like a phobia of the post season? Maybe we should consult with Science Hill's coaching staff to find out how to peak at the right time. I'm sorry I sound like sour grapes, but dog gone it, it's just frustrating.

I hear and understand.

QUOTE(DBTeepee @ May 18 2007 - 10:22 PM) 826462357[/snapback]It's hard to understand how a team can be so dominant during regular season and so mediocre in post season. And what's even more mind boggling is it seems to happen every year in both football and baseball. Could it be that the players (or coaches) have some kind of mental block almost like a phobia of the post season?

I really do hate to say it, but I think I will anyways.. Maybe the Big 9 is not as good a district as some people think. Granted DB did play very well when they came to Knoxville for the Sportsbelle. Heck they even beat South Doyle then. I just think that playing in a rather weak district doesn't help you get ready for the big challenges. That is why I think Farragut(I'm not trying to change the subject just using an example) does so well at state. They play in one of the toughest districts in the state in any class. Every player I talked to that was on last years team said the District tourney was alot harder than state. I know that they did not get out of district this year. Maybe DB does well in the regular season against good teams because they are not tired from challenges in their own district. So then they will beat the good teams in the regular season and then come post-season if they have to play them again, they might think, well we beat them before we should again. So my opinion is that the weaker the district the more it will hurt you come tourney time. by tourney time I mean after District tourney.

Edit: I'm not tryin to start a fight. I am just throwing my opinion out there. I am not "bashing" anyone, but read it however you want. I don't really care anymore.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 18 2007 - 10:34 PM) 826462377[/snapback]Maybe DB does well in the regular season against good teams because they are not tired from challenges in their own district. So then they will beat the good teams in the regular season and then come post-season if they have to play them again, they might think, well we beat them before we should again. So my opinion is that the weaker the district the more it will hurt you come tourney time. by tourney time I mean after District tourney.

A good point. That may be part of it.

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ May 18 2007 - 08:23 PM) 826462358[/snapback]I'm asking. Anybody out there who has followed the Tribe all season long, been at many or most games, and is not too biased (that is without a young man on the team), what the devil happened? It just appears to me that as the haters say, they choked during playoffs.

I am starting to beleive it now myself.I'm a die hard tribe fan but after the last couple weeks I have watched other teams coaching in action and DB coaches do not get the team fired up enough and seem to be on cruise control.Science Hills coaches stay involved in the game at hand and try different things to change the momentum of the game.These last two years were the best chance to go to the state.The next few are looking dim.All you can do is,play what you got and do the best you can.Maybe the players did choke,but with only one hit tells you that was a very good left handed pitcher.It is up to the coaches to try and create some action.DB baseball lives and dies on the long ball.

QUOTE(ihavenofriendzz @ May 18 2007 - 08:34 PM) 826462377[/snapback]I really do hate to say it, but I think I will anyways.. Maybe the Big 9 is not as good a district as some people think. Granted DB did play very well when they came to Knoxville for the Sportsbelle. Heck they even beat South Doyle then. I just think that playing in a rather weak district doesn't help you get ready for the big challenges. That is why I think Farragut(I'm not trying to change the subject just using an example) does so well at state. They play in one of the toughest districts in the state in any class. Every player I talked to that was on last years team said the District tourney was alot harder than state. I know that they did not get out of district this year. Maybe DB does well in the regular season against good teams because they are not tired from challenges in their own district. So then they will beat the good teams in the regular season and then come post-season if they have to play them again, they might think, well we beat them before we should again. So my opinion is that the weaker the district the more it will hurt you come tourney time. by tourney time I mean after District tourney.

Edit: I'm not tryin to start a fight. I am just throwing my opinion out there. I am not "bashing" anyone, but read it however you want. I don't really care anymore.

Agree that the Big 9 is not all that some think it is. Plus teams like Farragut and other strong teams have their strongest players play on elite (and competitive) travel teams in summer. Those kids see great pitching, and the pitchers have to learn to pitch to the best hitters. They play for coaches who have played professional (or top college) level ball. They really learn the game -- all aspects. D-B's coaches keep their kids together to play a few pick-up games with local teams -- not nearly the same training and experience. When they get to the most competitive time in the high school season, it shows. Maybe the problem is D-B's coaches, or maybe this senior class that was predicted to compete for state championships (in all the big three sports, they said!) isn't quite so extra special after all - good but not great. Or maybe it's both. Whatever the case, D-B lost 3 games in 2 weeks to arch rival Science Hill (who goes to State again) at the time in the season that matters, and tonight D-B had more errors than they had hits. The one hit they had didn't come from any player in the senior class. Not intended to beat up on D-B's seniors, just meant to suggest that maybe folks ought to actually watch the games, pay attention to the strength (or not!) of the competition and not listen to all the talk . . . for years and years and years. Whole classes of players were pushed to the side to let these seniors play early in multiple sports to get them ready to "win state" this year. Well, that didn't happen in any sport.

I have no seen DB play but i will have seen SD play i to me they was the best team i saw play this year they can hit top to bottom and their pitching was deep they pitched their 4 against us and handled us very well and they tattooed one of our better pitchers so do me a favor

STOP SAYING DB CHOKED

this SD team is a VERY GOOD TEAM and in my opinion has a very good chance to win state

good luck in the boro SD

QUOTE(XxYyZz @ May 18 2007 - 10:04 PM) 826462415[/snapback]Agree that the Big 9 is not all that some think it is. Plus teams like Farragut and other strong teams have their strongest players play on elite (and competitive) travel teams in summer. Those kids see great pitching, and the pitchers have to learn to pitch to the best hitters. They play for coaches who have played professional (or top college) level ball. They really learn the game -- all aspects. D-B's coaches keep their kids together to play a few pick-up games with local teams -- not nearly the same training and experience. When they get to the most competitive time in the high school season, it shows. Maybe the problem is D-B's coaches, or maybe this senior class that was predicted to compete for state championships (in all the big three sports, they said!) isn't quite so extra special after all - good but not great. Or maybe it's both. Whatever the case, D-B lost 3 games in 2 weeks to arch rival Science Hill (who goes to State again) at the time in the season that matters, and tonight D-B had more errors than they had hits. The one hit they had didn't come from any player in the senior class. Not intended to beat up on D-B's seniors, just meant to suggest that maybe folks ought to actually watch the games, pay attention to the strength (or not!) of the competition and not listen to all the talk . . . for years and years and years. Whole classes of players were pushed to the side to let these seniors play early in multiple sports to get them ready to "win state" this year. Well, that didn't happen in any sport.

Excellent post w/ many good points.