South Doyle Fans?

Mi Kees

Upon reading the Knoxville News Sentinel today, I feel I must back away from some of my previous views on baseball scholarships. It is crazy when you only have 11 scholarships for baseball and 20 for womens rowing. This is the nuttiest thing I have seen in a long time. UT cannot even find 20 women to give these scolarships to that have any experience. They go out on campus and look for athletic females and recruit them to the rowing team. For crying out loud what has happened. I still believe UT could benefit from recruiting local talent or @ least Tennessee kids and work this to their advantage. What are we doing with college athletics when this injustice occurs. I know the womens rights groups will support this travisty, but for cryin out loud give the women scholarships for math, engineering, or increase basketball, softball, or soccer. How can we allow the national pastime to be circumvented for WOMENS ROWING /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> Check out this story in the News Sentinel today if you have not already seen it. I knew I should have given my daughter ROWING lessons instead of putting her through Nursing School. AAAAUUUGGGGHHHHH!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now dont get me wrong im a fan of title 9 and all its just that this is ridiculus u have "athletic" scholarships given to girls who have done nothing to deserve them (meaning not played the sport) while u have other women and men playing their hearts out in school and making the grades all 4 nothing i mean dont get me wrong we need equality but not when it comes with an injustice to another sector of the public this is an example of the government trying to help the little people and it not working the way it should.

QUOTE(bravos2007 @ May 30 2007 - 09:20 AM) 826469019[/snapback]now dont get me wrong im a fan of title 9 and all its just that this is ridiculus u have "athletic" scholarships given to girls who have done nothing to deserve them (meaning not played the sport) while u have other women and men playing their hearts out in school and making the grades all 4 nothing i mean dont get me wrong we need equality but not when it comes with an injustice to another sector of the public this is an example of the government trying to help the little people and it not working the way it should.

Memphis U.'s baseball team is under same guidelines as UT's, somehow they attracted those players.

QUOTE(Hammer Head @ May 30 2007 - 04:01 PM) 826469174[/snapback]Memphis U.'s baseball team is under same guidelines as UT's, somehow they attracted those players.

One reason may be because the coaches at Memphis let them keep their Hope scholarship money instead of giving it back to Coach D. to take to Miami to give to another recruit. The article failed to mention that all Division I schools have the same guidelines. How does Vanderbilt get players when there tuition is $50,000 a year and can only give partial scholarships?

QUOTE(Jackitout @ May 30 2007 - 05:30 PM) 826469238[/snapback]One reason may be because the coaches at Memphis let them keep their Hope scholarship money instead of giving it back to Coach D. to take to Miami to give to another recruit. The article failed to mention that all Division I schools have the same guidelines. How does Vanderbilt get players when there tuition is $50,000 a year and can only give partial scholarships?

I think alot of schools are getting good players that are good students who are getting academic scholarships as well.....about the only way to spread out 11 scholarships

QUOTE(Frayser1974 @ May 30 2007 - 06:40 PM) 826469243[/snapback]I think alot of schools are getting good players that are good students who are getting academic scholarships as well.....about the only way to spread out 11 scholarships

Delmonico and Cox both stress the importance of grades to the boys who attend their UT Summer Baseball Camps. They talk about the limited number of athletic scholarhips available and how when they do spend those scholarships they want to use them on a kid who will still be academically eligible his sophomore year.

If you can't get it done in the classroom at high school level, (where they spoon feed you), how on earth do you expect to make it academically at the college level while spending even more time on the field practicing or traveling to play?

I have seen some really good (REALLY GOOD) athletes come out of high school with a 2.8 GPA and a 17 on their ACT. Coaches would give give their #3 assistant coach up in a heart beat to to get their hands on such talent...but if you can't make the grades you might as well kiss upper level college sports goodbye because they sure are not going to BUY academic trouble with their limited scholarship money.