Multiplier Fails

I am glad someone brought up the point about how last year the winners of baseball in A and AA were public. In fact there was not ONE private school in the A baseball state tournament last year. I swear we could go 20 years w/o a private winning a state title and the next time they do someone has to whine and demand they be thrown to another division. Get over it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sportsguy1 @ May 25 2007 - 06:35 PM) 826467156[/snapback]I am glad someone brought up the point about how last year the winners of baseball in A and AA were public. In fact there was not ONE private school in the A baseball state tournament last year. I swear we could go 20 years w/o a private winning a state title and the next time they do someone has to whine and demand they be thrown to another division. Get over it.

Well I'm always accused of not doing my homework and not getting any facts. We all know about football how the privates have dominated 6 out of the last 7 years. Here is some facts for baseball in Class A in baseball. From 1997-2007 privates have won 9 out 11 state championships.

1997 Goodpasture

1998 Coalfield

1999 USJ

2000 FRA

2001 USJ

2002 USJ

2003 Davidson Academy

2004 Goodpasture

2005 USJ

2006 Mckenzie

2007 FCS

There's your facts.

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 25 2007 - 08:30 PM) 826467232[/snapback]Well I'm always accused of not doing my homework and not getting any facts. We all know about football how the privates have dominated 6 out of the last 7 years. Here is some facts for baseball in Class A in baseball. From 1997-2007 privates have won 9 out 11 state championships.

1997 Goodpasture

1998 Coalfield

1999 USJ

2000 FRA

2001 USJ

2002 USJ

2003 Davidson Academy

2004 Goodpasture

2005 USJ

2006 Mckenzie

2007 FCS

There's your facts.

Coalfield and McKenzie must have cheated...just kidding Mphstiger87...good luck in football next year

QUOTE(larry @ May 25 2007 - 11:32 AM) 826466861[/snapback]How big an advantage is it that private schools can require students to be involved in extracurricular activities?

It could be a big one...except the small DI privates (the only ones still playing publics) generally don't. What you are describing is prevalent in the older, richer prep schools...also known as DII.

QUOTE(Indian @ May 25 2007 - 03:00 PM) 826467024[/snapback]You're talking about individual schools and programs within a division. The problem is, at the small school level in Division I, one type of school is consistently winning over the other type.

I agree...urban small schools are dominating rural ones, just like they do in the larger divisions in every sport. It is just that you guys keep getting 'urban' mixed up with 'private'.

Look at all state championships, all sports, all divisions for the last 20 years. Now check them for schools in dense population areas (urban) vs. rural. You will see that this is not really a public/private issue, it is about population demographics. having said that, I guess the only way to have a 'level playing field' is to form a 'country' division and a 'city' division...we could call them Dr and Du.

I know most of the private bashers won't like the idea, mostly because their arguments boil down to "we are angry about not winning enough for OUR team and privates are easy targets...MUST BE THEIR FAULT!"

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 25 2007 - 09:30 PM) 826467232[/snapback]Well I'm always accused of not doing my homework and not getting any facts. We all know about football how the privates have dominated 6 out of the last 7 years. Here is some facts for baseball in Class A in baseball. From 1997-2007 privates have won 9 out 11 state championships.

1997 Goodpasture

1998 Coalfield

1999 USJ

2000 FRA

2001 USJ

2002 USJ

2003 Davidson Academy

2004 Goodpasture

2005 USJ

2006 Mckenzie

2007 FCS

There's your facts.

Good ones...here are some more

1)

2a :Alcoa 4 times state champs...public

3a :Fulton 3 of the last 4 (could be wrong...close though)...public

4a :Maryville 5 times state champs...public

2)

Cheerios have the same amount of calories per gram as Frosted Flakes

3)

Poison ivy can NOT be spread to another person OR spread on yourself once the bumps appear

4)

It takes light 9 minutes to travel from the sun to the earth...the sun might have burned out a few minutes ago and we just don't know it yet

5)

A chicken lived headless for more than a year

those are all facts too...and they are interesting ones /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

QUOTE(MPHSTIGERS87 @ May 25 2007 - 09:41 AM) 826466827[/snapback]I didnt mean for that to be to sarcastic, but privates could have only become a powerhouse (not just good teams) from either one or two ways. 1) The athletes these parents produce that sends their kids to private schools is amazing, or privates went out to find athletes to make their program stronger and to help the enrollment grow so the institution could become more wealthy.

As far as the other questions go, I dont think the private school coaches could do any better than the public coaches at a public school. Funds are limited, a private school coach who transfers to a public school will have to teach more and put more time into classwork and less time into "football"

Finally there is nothing wrong with telling a kid that there is distinct advantges that privates have over publics in sports especially football. When my kid reads the paper and sees FCS vs. JCS in the baseball championship and then says"werent those the same two teams that played in the football championship" he then on his own can start to figure out whats going on. Wether it is illegal or not there is an advantage and the kids should know it. We are teaching are kids absolutly nothing wrong when there is a clear difference in publics and privates.

Apparently no one gave the memo to FCS or JCS until lately that if they steal the obviously good at football kids out of the public school sandboxes then more kids and money will come to their school. Until recently neither team has been a major threat for any state championship at all in their 30 years and 31 years of existence. They sure do work fast to recruit players and get their names on the athletic high horse though.

No insult to your child but simply because he is your offspring he will "figure it out" and leap to the same conclusion that you do (recruiting and such). As far as it being legal or illegal let me ask you, did you see that Ohio State and Florida played in two NCCAA championships against each other this year and automatically assume that both schools somehow cheated to get where they are?? I mean, all NCCAA schools recruit, but these schools must have given their athletes steriods for them to be better than the others.

Finally if you feel that there is a clear disadvantage then you may teach your child anything you wish and if you teach him all you know i am sure that he will become a fine member of society. But take in mind what you already know, that just because one person believes it does not make it true or false. You have little to no proof that privates recruit or have an advantage other than circumstantial evidence. I have no proof that privates are perfect little angels that we all know they are ( /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ). What we have on this entire board is a huge conflict of many different oppinions that no one is going to ever change.

By the way, you don't have to answer anything, just offering some fruit for thought to an old coachT friend....

QUOTE(sportsguy1 @ May 25 2007 - 11:28 PM) 826467357[/snapback]once again we are talking about post multiplier state titles and not pre multiplier so any titles before 2006 don't matter. so for now it is 1-1.

A few more years will have to pass before the multiplier can be deemed a failure or a success

QUOTE(JaxMan @ May 25 2007 - 09:28 PM) 826467279[/snapback]Coalfield and McKenzie must have cheated...just kidding Mphstiger87...good luck in football next year

I now you were Jax. I didnt say anything negative someone just called me out to find facts and thats what I did and see what happens LOL. Good luck to your school also and you guys had a great year in football and baseball.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ May 25 2007 - 10:42 PM) 826467312[/snapback]Good ones...here are some more

1)

2a :Alcoa 4 times state champs...public

3a :Fulton 3 of the last 4 (could be wrong...close though)...public

4a :Maryville 5 times state champs...public

2)

Cheerios have the same amount of calories per gram as Frosted Flakes

3)

Poison ivy can NOT be spread to another person OR spread on yourself once the bumps appear

4)

It takes light 9 minutes to travel from the sun to the earth...the sun might have burned out a few minutes ago and we just don't know it yet

5)

A chicken lived headless for more than a year

those are all facts too...and they are interesting ones /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

MP is is 1A and that is all I debate so I could careless about 2A through 5A. Again you come back with smartelic remarks even with me stating facts instead of opinion which just confirms you and another person I refuse to address anymore's character. You wanted facts I gave them. You didnt like them so you come up with off the wall crap. Whatever dude your done also.

QUOTE(sportsguy1 @ May 25 2007 - 11:28 PM) 826467357[/snapback]once again we are talking about post multiplier state titles and not pre multiplier so any titles before 2006 don't matter. so for now it is 1-1.

You are the one that came up with 20 year thing. The point is with or without the multiplier people are sick of seeing privates dominate 1A. Thats why we all want a full split. Years of domination prove there is a distict "advantage".

QUOTE(FCSprideatUT @ May 25 2007 - 11:01 PM) 826467330[/snapback]Apparently no one gave the memo to FCS or JCS until lately that if they steal the obviously good at football kids out of the public school sandboxes then more kids and money will come to their school. Until recently neither team has been a major threat for any state championship at all in their 30 years and 31 years of existence. They sure do work fast to recruit players and get their names on the athletic high horse though.

No insult to your child but simply because he is your offspring he will "figure it out" and leap to the same conclusion that you do (recruiting and such). As far as it being legal or illegal let me ask you, did you see that Ohio State and Florida played in two NCCAA championships against each other this year and automatically assume that both schools somehow cheated to get where they are?? I mean, all NCCAA schools recruit, but these schools must have given their athletes steriods for them to be better than the others.

Finally if you feel that there is a clear disadvantage then you may teach your child anything you wish and if you teach him all you know i am sure that he will become a fine member of society. But take in mind what you already know, that just because one person believes it does not make it true or false. You have little to no proof that privates recruit or have an advantage other than circumstantial evidence. I have no proof that privates are perfect little angels that we all know they are ( /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> ). What we have on this entire board is a huge conflict of many different oppinions that no one is going to ever change.

You know I like debating with ya FCS. First congrats on you baseball state title. To comment on your post, wether you guys recruited or not you know yalls advantage so I wont mention it again. Second the reason why Ohio St and Florida played in both baseballl and football titles is because theirs schools are great recruiters. They get to recruit the same area as all other D1 colleges. The entire US. and foreign countries. Not just one state.

By the way, you don't have to answer anything, just offering some fruit for thought to an old coachT friend....