Private-vs-Public schools

tdodls

QUOTE(easttnref @ Jun 1 2007 - 01:50 PM) 826470085[/snapback]yes stay D1 but play AAA sports that is fair why have the same talent level as AAA and play AA makes no sense play the best if you are the best why play at a level that is below you that is the argument

OK, let's put a system into place that actually measures 'talent level' and classify all schools based on that. That would be a Merit System, which I have said over and over IS fair. But as long as publics are classified based on size it simply is discrimination to force privates to be classified by some other criterion.

Measure talent by performance, classify that way. I think ALL the privates would be ok with that because it is fair. Betcha most of the publics would be appalled...and why? Because this isn't really about fairness and we all know it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jek @ Jun 1 2007 - 10:45 PM) 826470274[/snapback]"That is why we elected to stay DI in the first place...our schools are much more like the 1 and 2a rural public schools that we play than we are like the big preps. People in cities seek us out because of our mission, and our sense of community, and our smaller size, not because we have kids going to Harvard and Yale OR because we are sending kids to DI schools for athletics...if they want those kinds of possibilities then they send their kids to the big preps. If they want their kids to hear about Jesus in school then they send them to us. If they want their kids to have opportunities to win Westinghouse Science Awards and make perfect scores on the SAT...big preps. If they want them to have several chances a year to go to Honduras or City of Children in Mexico or to New Orleans to do service/mission work...us. About the only similarity between the religious privates and the preps is that some schools in both groups require uniforms..."

Or, they could come to BA and get both. I'm assuming that you do know that BA teaches students from a Christian perspective as well as provide Bible based

course offerings. During the year students participate in many outreach ministries and a number of students also participate in foreign mission opportunities.

I don't appreciate the assertion that your school and the other "religious" privates are the only ones attempting to rescue the perishing. The cookie jar comment was

uncalled for as well.

It was simply fact, not meant as a slam. The DII division was precipitated by a couple of the elite preps getting caught and by the fact that BA won the 5a championship. BA IS an elite private, they charge 3 times the tuition of most of the small religious privates. They have a much more selective admissions process.

But note, I am ok with that...it is the mission of the more elite privates to simply be better than other schools. To me, being better is a perfectly good mission. Excellence is GOOD. That just isn't the primary mission of the small privates. Their primary mission is Christian education...thus they charge as little as they can, and have non-selective admissions policies. They do strive to be excellent, but that is secondary to their main mission. They are completely different in atmosphere and attitude and student body composition than the elite privates. Not better, just different.

QUOTE(Baldcoach @ Jun 3 2007 - 08:26 PM) 826470934[/snapback]OK, let's put a system into place that actually measures 'talent level' and classify all schools based on that. That would be a Merit System, which I have said over and over IS fair. But as long as publics are classified based on size it simply is discrimination to force privates to be classified by some other criterion.

Measure talent by performance, classify that way. I think ALL the privates would be ok with that because it is fair. Betcha most of the publics would be appalled...and why? Because this isn't really about fairness and we all know it.

If it's not about fairness...then what is it about...oh bald one?

I'm guessing they think it's all about every little team all over the state wanting a state title, even though just around here, there would still be Tyner and Smith County to go through in football, Howard and Brainerd to go through in boys' basketball, Livingston, Upperman and McMinn Central to go through in girls' basketball, Marion and several others to go through in baseball, and Hixson, Greenbriar, others to go through in softball. It's not just about titles, if so there would be a push for teams like that to be in a different division, too.

QUOTE(Indian @ Jun 10 2007 - 12:50 PM) 826473539[/snapback]I'm guessing they think it's all about every little team all over the state wanting a state title, even though just around here, there would still be Tyner and Smith County to go through in football, Howard and Brainerd to go through in boys' basketball, Livingston, Upperman and McMinn Central to go through in girls' basketball, Marion and several others to go through in baseball, and Hixson, Greenbriar, others to go through in softball. It's not just about titles, if so there would be a push for teams like that to be in a different division, too.

I've said many times I would be satisfied with as little as two public classes. That would be much tougher for us than it is now. You are correct...Indian...it's not about titles. It IS about fairness. I just don't think there's a fair way to classify publics with privates. JMHO I am not sold on the merit system. I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

The only thing about having two would be the smallest publics like Copper Basin, Richard Hardy, potentially being in a class with schools with 800 or 900 and having virtually no chance. I'm about to go to the Sequatchie girls camp but I can break down those numbers later tonight, I have them all saved if anybody wonders how I keep putting up the enrollments and potential classes, lol.

QUOTE(Antwan @ Jun 10 2007 - 02:48 PM) 826473550[/snapback]I've said many times I would be satisfied with as little as two public classes. That would be much tougher for us than it is now. You are correct...Indian...it's not about titles. It IS about fairness. I just don't think there's a fair way to classify publics with privates. JMHO I am not sold on the merit system. I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

Antwan,

What do you not like about a merit system? And how would that not be a fair way to classify for 'fairness'?

QUOTE(Indian @ Jun 10 2007 - 03:02 PM) 826473555[/snapback]The only thing about having two would be the smallest publics like Copper Basin, Richard Hardy, potentially being in a class with schools with 800 or 900 and having virtually no chance. I'm about to go to the Sequatchie girls camp but I can break down those numbers later tonight, I have them all saved if anybody wonders how I keep putting up the enrollments and potential classes, lol.

How do you plan to rank the "merit" of each school, and each year? Our boys team lost their first district tournament game in basketball this past season in eight years. They made a state appearance and at least three sub-state games. But the coming years are not going to be that good. So, how do you know what each school is going to do? Meigs girls went on a run for about four years and won the state. They are several years from being close to that good again. There is NO WAY this will work.

I don't see the big deal with public and private playing straight up by enrollment, just so long as there are no scholarships or tuitions being waved for students. If scholarships are given, you could have only five students in the whole school, but if they are the best five in the state in basketball, how would anyone compete? To be the best, you have to beat the best.