3A state champion 07

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Big Country @ Jun 3 2007 - 02:56 PM) 826470834[/snapback]That is a good preview of what Lipscomb returns in 2007. Simpson started several games at QB this past season and played well. The offense will not skip a beat with him taking the snaps. Moneypenny, Holt, & Davis are ALL back at running back spots and I wouldn't be suprised if all of them reach the 1,000 yard rushing mark this season (IF THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS WHAT IT USUALLY IS AT DL). Rogers is a stud at WR. On defense Tempenny, Webb, & Stevens are all going to be players returning that had big seasons last fall. If the secondary can grow and improve and the line play on both sides of the football stays consistent with this new core of players that will see action this fall then Lipscomb will be right back in the thick of things as far as it relates to the state title picture.

Pearl Cohn or White House will be coming to the Knoxville are on the Friday night of the state semifinals to play either Fulton or Austin East IMO. White House loses Townsend at QB and West at RB off of the offensive side of the football. Defensively Danny Criss and Michael Moore will be the two biggest departures. Outside of that White House will be strong once again this fall. Both Payne twins, DeMarqus & DeMarrius, return and both should not only continue to make an impact in the defensive secondary but both should also star on the offensive side of the football at RB this fall. Up front expect Max Barrett and Rogers Gaines to really have breakout seasons this upcoming season. Pearl Cohn's biggest losses are at the OL/DL spots. North Carolina signees Brian Gupton & Rashad Mason are gone but believe it or not those are not going to be PC's biggest departures IMO. The Firebirds have some holes to fill on the OL & DL after losing the likes of Brian Curry, DeMichael Horton, & Jeremy Gordon (TE on offense). The good news for Pearl Cohn is that they do return the best two players in the region on each side of the football. Deaunte Mason will be back for his 4th year as the team's starting QB. Deaveon Gregory is back at RB after a huge second half of the season last year. On defense the Firebirds return All-State LB Howard Griffin. He'll also be joined with the return of his sidekick from a year ago in Dominique Sweatt.

Not sure about Deaunte Mason as best quarterback in region. I only saw film of two games from last year and alot of his passes were jump balls...only completed because of his big athletic reciever. Seemed to throw as many picks as td's. Will he have the same type of reciever this coming year to throw to??

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 5 2007 - 07:56 AM) 826471507[/snapback]Tadvols.

Thanks. I did a little hanging around over by St. Marys Hospital this past spring, and I share some of those concerns. On the other hand, I am optimistic about Fulton's chances, and here is why.

They have a very good staff that has been successful in developing lineman on both sides of the ball.

They have not one, but two QBs returning. Stinson has started since 2nd/3rd game of FR yr. That helps young OL a lot.

They have tremendous skill players returning. 3 step drops, and screens will help build confidence in young OL.

They are big. Blair 6-3, 320. Johnson 6-4, 270. Phillips 6-3, 285, Blasco 6-2, 260, Gamble 6-2, 250.

On D, the ends Antwan Hammilton 6-3, 220 & Cobb, LBs Stokes, All State and DBs are very good. Teams will be forced inside the B gaps which is where they may need some development. When you know where teams have to go, you can slow them down.

Winning is a habit at Fulton, just like at AE, Alcoa, Maryville, Catholic, etc. Not trying to argue with you, but I just don't see 5-5. I say Fulton splits Oak Ridge and Tyner. Thats 1. I saw OR/Bearden this spring, and Fulton can win that game. I did not see AE, but from what I have heard, they will be better even without Troutman/Anderson. Kenny Jones is outstanding. That game, however, is 8th/9th week, and Fulton could be on their usual roll by then. I watched Catholic vs. Rhea Co. Catholic was the best team I saw this spring. Both rival games, and could go either way. Let's say they split. That two "L." Let's say Fulton loses both, thats 3. I don't see Fulton losing to LA, AC, Kingston, Stone, Scott, etc. Scott has a lot back (18 starters ?), and apparently a QB transfer from Texas who is good, so maybe they sneak up. Thats 4. IMHO, 7-3 or 8-2 depending on how the leadership develops. That will be the key with all those SRs gone. Winters, Gildner, Freeny, Rogan, and others were confidence builders and leadres.

ruse?

Tadvols.

There was a great read about Stinson on another site that I read earlier today. I did not realize that he threw for 1700 yards and 16 TD last year as a Soph. Now I know Fulton played a 15 game schedule last yr, but he was out for 3-4 games when he got hurt at the end of the 1st Catholic game. Nice interview, and he seems like a pretty good kid. I guess all that to say that with him, as well as Blair back, the OL at Fulton will have some time to develop. He also had very good things to say about some of the guys that they do return ie. Vic Smith, Cobb, Stokes, and Humphrey.

ruse?

QUOTE(ruse? @ Jun 8 2007 - 12:05 PM) 826472935[/snapback]Tadvols.

There was a great read about Stinson on another site that I read earlier today. I did not realize that he threw for 1700 yards and 16 TD last year as a Soph. Now I know Fulton played a 15 game schedule last yr, but he was out for 3-4 games when he got hurt at the end of the 1st Catholic game. Nice interview, and he seems like a pretty good kid. I guess all that to say that with him, as well as Blair back, the OL at Fulton will have some time to develop. He also had very good things to say about some of the guys that they do return ie. Vic Smith, Cobb, Stokes, and Humphrey.

ruse?

Ruse... I saw that but couldnt read article .. Jock seems to get a bit bigger each year... his throwing motion still kinda 3 qtrs .. Blair throws the best ball for sure and he has gotten abit bigger too ... I think you are correct ..to take some pressure off OL they will need to get the ball in the hands of play makers fast .. quick screens etc ... I dont see Stinson staying in the pocket much .. he has a tendacy to take off at first glance of trouble and doesnt look up ..he had recievers running wide open after he started scrambling and would look for them ..he kinda panics with pressure ala Alcoa ... thats Wagner was better against Aloca .. he didnt get rattled ... one of the coaches told me one day that Wagner had enough confidence for all the QB's ... they said he could line up against the New England Patriots and Wagner would be confident that he was better ... too bad he had all his problems at Fulton .. I think if he is at QB in 2005 that Fulton wins State that year too ... also I was a bit impressed with Antonio Hamilton's little brother Antwan in Spring ..looks like he knows he is going to play next year as a JR and at 6'2 215 looks to be a DE/TE .. also look for a kid as a Soph named Quintez Purtle 6'1 200 pound range at LB .. they have a few Soph's to eb that may help ... they will have too ... a couple in OL may have to play too ....

QUOTE(Geezer @ Jun 7 2007 - 11:47 PM) 826472808[/snapback]Not sure about Deaunte Mason as best quarterback in region. I only saw film of two games from last year and alot of his passes were jump balls...only completed because of his big athletic reciever. Seemed to throw as many picks as td's. Will he have the same type of reciever this coming year to throw to??

Geezer ..you are correct ... all the film I saw of Pearl and I went to the Fulton/Pearl game ..all big plays are throw it up and let the 6'6 , 6'4 , 6'4 kids jump and get it ... I think he still has one tall WR left .. maybe 6'3 ... two of them went to North Carolina .. they had a big TE last year too ... Pearl will be pretty good though cause Mason is a good athlete ,,scrambler and can throw ..just needs to improve on accuracy .. they have a good RB back and a couple very good LB's back too ...

A lot of people do not remember that Deaunte Mason had a good year as a sophomore in 2005 as the starting quarterback. That year Rashad Mason missed the final seven games of the regular season and the two playoff games due to major injuries that he suffered in the car wreck. Brian Gupton missed the first five or six games that year for PC due to a broken wrist.

Lohin is graduated from Sycamore, Townsend is graduated from White House, & Kirby is graduated from Macon Co. Greenbrier & Station Camp are two teams that are going to throw the football a maximum of 6-10 times per game. There is not a quarterback in Region 4-3A that is as battle tested as Mason and there certainly isn't one who has put up the kind of numbers as he has over the course of the past two years. That is what I am basing my previous statement on about him being the best QB in the region.

With that in mind though there is a kid with a lot of potential that may post some good numbers this upcoming season over at Sycamore who has played at Eagleville for the past year and a half (took the school to the playoffs in 2005). Remember the name Jake Simms right now folks.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good preview of what Lipscomb returns in 2007. Simpson started several games at QB this past season and played well. The offense will not skip a beat with him taking the snaps. Moneypenny, Holt, & Davis are ALL back at running back spots and I wouldn't be suprised if all of them reach the 1,000 yard rushing mark this season (IF THE OFFENSIVE LINE IS WHAT IT USUALLY IS AT DL). Rogers is a stud at WR. On defense Tempenny, Webb, & Stevens are all going to be players returning that had big seasons last fall. If the secondary can grow and improve and the line play on both sides of the football stays consistent with this new core of players that will see action this fall then Lipscomb will be right back in the thick of things as far as it relates to the state title picture.

Pearl Cohn or White House will be coming to the Knoxville are on the Friday night of the state semifinals to play either Fulton or Austin East IMO. White House loses Townsend at QB and West at RB off of the offensive side of the football. Defensively Danny Criss and Michael Moore will be the two biggest departures. Outside of that White House will be strong once again this fall. Both Payne twins, DeMarqus & DeMarrius, return and both should not only continue to make an impact in the defensive secondary but both should also star on the offensive side of the football at RB this fall. Up front expect Max Barrett and Rogers Gaines to really have breakout seasons this upcoming season. Pearl Cohn's biggest losses are at the OL/DL spots. North Carolina signees Brian Gupton & Rashad Mason are gone but believe it or not those are not going to be PC's biggest departures IMO. The Firebirds have some holes to fill on the OL & DL after losing the likes of Brian Curry, DeMichael Horton, & Jeremy Gordon (TE on offense). The good news for Pearl Cohn is that they do return the best two players in the region on each side of the football. Deaunte Mason will be back for his 4th year as the team's starting QB. Deaveon Gregory is back at RB after a huge second half of the season last year. On defense the Firebirds return All-State LB Howard Griffin. He'll also be joined with the return of his sidekick from a year ago in Dominique Sweatt.

actually,...stevens has graduated. lipscombs d will look alot different next year. with binkley, lehning, hudson, and stevens gone, that d has lost a lot its veteran leadership in the front. lipscomb will not be a strong and experienced next year, but they will be quick and explosive. and they will burn you if you dont watch out. look for lipscomb to win the region by a close one with marshall co and spring hill on their backs

Yeah, for the most part, Mason just threw the ball up for grabs to his 6'6' wideout. We were hawking him all over the field though, so it was hard for him to get his feet set. Good athlete though. I'm not sure if Fulton can win it next year or not, I know the line will have to develop over the season and with Coach Black Sr., I know he'll have them ready by playoff time to be blocking their best. The Falcons may take some lumps, but winning is contagious and coming off 3 State Titles in my four years, I can see them making another push next year with the skill players they have returning. I'm also proud of my boy Rogan holding it down in the TN-KY All-Star game and representing the Falcons proudly. He's a special player and I'm just glad I had the privilege of playing with him.

• 1 month later...

AE scrimmaged Knox Central this spring. It was a well deserving scrimmage. Both teams were looking to knock each other's head off and it was in a good way. THe final count for the scrimmage was 14-7 or 2-1 Knox Central with the victory.

AE will be looking to air it out more and put it on the ground when they need too. I see the Roadrunners going far in the PO's.

My opinion on Fulton, I saw this team take on KNox Central in the passing league. Fulton will be freshmen happy if you know that that mean. THey're going to be looking for their freshmen to step in and up BIG time. I say if FUlton has a line, they'll be ok. But as the saying was said a lot at Webb High School a couple weeks, "Life without Rogan, will be tough!" Fulton will have to step up and prove a lot of people wrong and I'm one of them.

THis is the year that the Roadrunners get back on top.. Mark it down.. Turtle said it on July 28th.

How bout them Roadrunners.!!! YES SIR..

Thanks for the kind words! Last year was a nightmare I hope we never have again. I hear we have a better outlook for this year, but how much better remains to be seen. I'm sure it will be a long time before we have a player like Cates(if ever) or a team like that, but who knows?

yes last year was a nightmare i agree and yes it will be a lot better out look idk if we will win state but we gonna try to be in the running.