Georgia - Tennessee All-Star Football Game

oldtimeballer63

QUOTE(Purple & Gold Standard @ Jun 10 2007 - 02:55 PM) 826473567[/snapback]Looks to me like it was more a Chattanooga-area team...Maybe should have been called the Southeast Tennessee All-Stars..Was the Georgia team made up of more players from throughout the state or more like in the Chattanooga Times Free Press coverage area??

It more of the Chattanooga Times Free Press Coverage area.

Kids from Moore County Grundy, Bledsoe, Seq, Marion, Polk, Hamiliton, Bradley, I think Georgia gets a little more though = But we do have the Chattanooga City Schools. So I guess that evens it out ..... I think I got all the counties though.....

Oh its generally from North Georgia area, I don't know the specifics but Indian did post a roster on the top of the 2nd page.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were you at the game?? Did you see who played?? the mvp for TN was the Rhea County quarterback Caleb Wilson! It was a Chattanooga area allstar team. Coach Monroe won coach of the year for the area. That is why they picked him. That coach used his staff. They practiced ONE week for this game. There were lots of Ooltewah players because all those players made all area. If you had a CLUE of what you were talking about it might help. The Rhea quarterback played most of the game. The running backs were Conney from Mcallie alternating with Trace Mcdermott from Mcminn and some others. The Scogen guy from Temple was a beast and played the and whole game. I guess cause your from Wm Blount you are automatically start running your mouth stirring the pot. Yeah lots of Ooltewah players played. There were kids from Cleveland and Brainard. Meigs county. Get a roster look at it then tell me who you think from that area would have been better than the players coach Monroe picked? And guess what some players that were picked to play decided not to play in the heat. The guy that intercepted the pass then so called fumbled it was from Bradley. So why don't you do a little research and stop running your Billie Blount mouth til you know what you are talking about.You crack me up?? Don't think coach Monroe used his players picking from the heart. Those guys are good. Look at the roster and tell me if you know the Garner brother Darrell and Marcus? You have not idea what you are saying. I was there. AND I will be at Mike White Stadium this year as well. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> See ya there!

QUOTE(williebgovs04 @ Jun 10 2007 - 11:23 AM) 826473536[/snapback]What a joke 11 Ooltewah players on an all-star team, no Gold ball, just doesnt add up. Now Benny is making a bad name for Tn football by taking 11 of his own players to an all-star game and getting beat. So if Welch and Jensen would have been available that means there would have been 13 Owls on the team and if Marshall was a senior 14 with that many all stars, no excuses for no Gold Ball.

An about the fumble, It doesnt feel good when u get a game taking from you does it owls.

Benny Monroe im sure is the best coach in the area and should be the coach, but dont let him picka team with his heart next time.

So your're saying Wiggins is a better coach? HAAAAAAAAA ok! /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> DO you think Ooltewah has a few more players than Notre Dame?

QUOTE(Grundyplayer @ Jun 10 2007 - 01:15 PM) 826473558[/snapback]Far from it He might be a good Ball coach but he is NO Charlie Wiggens.

Notre Dame High School didnt invite 11 players from there own school. It certianly wasnt a Notre Dame show. Infact Tennessee's team last year was playing superior competion.

Only problem with last years team was a certian WR coach from Redbank(not Redbanks Head Coach) Told a player from Moore County he was too short and too white. Kid ran a 4.4....

QUOTE(Grundyplayer @ Jun 10 2007 - 03:15 PM) 826473558[/snapback]Far from it He might be a good Ball coach but he is NO Charlie Wiggens.

Notre Dame High School didnt invite 11 players from there own school. It certianly wasnt a Notre Dame show. Infact Tennessee's team last year was playing superior competion.

Only problem with last years team was a certian WR coach from Redbank(not Redbanks Head Coach) Told a player from Moore County he was too short and too white. Kid ran a 4.4....

Benny Monroe is a better football coach than CHARLIE WIGGINS. He has like 7 state championship rings. How many does Wiggins have??

Tennessee was robbed this year. Everyone knows that Tennessee should have won the game. Tennessee outplayed Georgia the WHOLE GAME. If you were at the game you would have seen that.

There were 9 coaches from Ooltewah on the Tennessee side, there were 7 from Ridgeland on the Georgia side. If you look at the facts you'll see that there wasn't that much difference?

A lot of players turned down the chance to play in the game so don't blame the coaches for not having kids from every school in East Tennessee. You can't pick everyone and if you did a lot of kids wouldn't get to play.

QUOTE(biscuits4breakfast @ Jun 10 2007 - 07:40 PM) 826473633[/snapback]Benny Monroe is a better football coach than CHARLIE WIGGINS. He has like 7 state championship rings. How many does Wiggins have??

Tennessee was robbed this year. Everyone knows that Tennessee should have won the game. Tennessee outplayed Georgia the WHOLE GAME. If you were at the game you would have seen that.

There were 9 coaches from Ooltewah on the Tennessee side, there were 7 from Ridgeland on the Georgia side. If you look at the facts you'll see that there wasn't that much difference?

A lot of players turned down the chance to play in the game so don't blame the coaches for not having kids from every school in East Tennessee. You can't pick everyone and if you did a lot of kids wouldn't get to play.

What kind of talent does Wiggins have each year ? And what is his record year in year out ? Who promotes there kids better than Wiggins ? Here is one that is even better ? How long has Wiggins coached high school football ? He Coached for college prior to Coaching High School Ball... I stand by my opinion that Coach Wiggins is a better coach. Honestly if he coached Ooltewah, they would have won state. JMO. (Oh and Wiggins won, with almost everyone)

There was a variety of kids from EVERY team in the area when Wiggins coached.

Some of the other players in the game for Tennessee were:

E'Jay Ward (Brainerd)

Otis Rumph (Tyner)

Dee Strickland (East Ridge)

Charlie Mobriant (Meigs Co.)

Cory Hall (Brainerd)

Justin Headden (Boyd-Buchanan)

Tracy Carruthers (Brainerd)

Will Adams (Cleveland)

Matt Cox (McMinn Co.)

Dee Joseph (Howard)

Gerard Taylor (Red Bank)

Mark Gibson (Bradley Central)

Nick Young (Soddy Daisy)

Chris Sells (East Ridge)

Justin Pritchett (Rhea Co.)

Willie Ledford (Polk Co.)

John Gwaltney (Red Bank)

Coach Monroe won 57 straight games without a loss. Three state championships in a row at Cleveland. The freaking stadium is named after him.He lost three games the first year he was at Ooltewah. the third coming the second round of the playoffs. He has been coaching for about 40 years. He is in the National High School coaching Hall of Fame. You have no idea what you are talking about . His year in year out record is much better than coach WIggins. You need to do a little bit of research then get on here and talk some sense. He was 13-1 last year. He coached at MTSU for several years. Last time I checked that is a college. Monroe promotes kids better than Wiggins. Ask anyone that plays for him if they like and respect him. I played for the man and I promise you this. He is the best. There was a variety this year. He has kids from Ooltewah that were all area. Last time I checked Ooltewah was pretty good last year. Undefeated and one game away from the State Championship. Did you see the stats of the game?? Do some research then get onhere and crow.

QUOTE(Grundyplayer @ Jun 10 2007 - 06:58 PM) 826473637[/snapback]What kind of talent does Wiggins have each year ? And what is his record year in year out ? Who promotes there kids better than Wiggins ? Here is one that is even better ? How long has Wiggins coached high school football ? He Coached for college prior to Coaching High School Ball... I stand by my opinion that Coach Wiggins is a better coach. Honestly if he coached Ooltewah, they would have won state. JMO. (Oh and Wiggins won, with almost everyone)

There was a variety of kids from EVERY team in the area when Wiggins coached.

QUOTE(lovehsfootball @ Jun 11 2007 - 09:41 AM) 826473744[/snapback]Coach Monroe won 57 straight games without a loss. Three state championships in a row at Cleveland. The freaking stadium is named after him.He lost three games the first year he was at Ooltewah. the third coming the second round of the playoffs. He has been coaching for about 40 years. He is in the National High School coaching Hall of Fame. You have no idea what you are talking about . His year in year out record is much better than coach WIggins. You need to do a little bit of research then get on here and talk some sense. He was 13-1 last year. He coached at MTSU for several years. Last time I checked that is a college. Monroe promotes kids better than Wiggins. Ask anyone that plays for him if they like and respect him. I played for the man and I promise you this. He is the best. There was a variety this year. He has kids from Ooltewah that were all area. Last time I checked Ooltewah was pretty good last year. Undefeated and one game away from the State Championship. Did you see the stats of the game?? Do some research then get onhere and crow.

He is a good coach, but no excuse for some kids getting in for 2 total plays the whole game....

QUOTE(reaction @ Jun 11 2007 - 12:34 PM) 826473790[/snapback]He is a good coach, but no excuse for some kids getting in for 2 total plays the whole game....

Who was the kid that only played 2 plays. Don't you think that if this kid would have

said something to his position coach he would have been in there more.

Remember the rule- There's no crying in Football!!

I just wanted to address a few things concerning the All-Star Game this past Saturday.

First of all, I apologize that the game was not more heavily promoted like it has been in recent years. I know Stump has been tied up nearly 24 hours a day as editor of the new magazine that's coming out and some of the guys that normally do some of the promoting have also been busy getting stories written for the magazine.

I don't know why the Chattanooga Times-Free Press didn't do more write ups on this game prior to it being played, but the TFP is its own boss. It chooses what to cover and what not to cover so we have no control over that. We do appreciate them covering it with a reporter and photographer on Saturday. The Chattanoogan.com was there as well, and several newspapers in north Georgia were represented.

Chattanooga has only the TFP and one or two more papers in outlying areas for coverage as far as newspapers go while north Ga. has papers in Catoosa County, Walker County, Dade County, Calhoun, Dalton, Cartersville, Cedartown and Rome, so it stands to reason Georgia would get far more of the press coverage.

Still, with very little publicity, we drew 2,673 fans to Finley on a warm night, the second-largest crowd in the game's history and did so while going head-to-head with Daughtry, who was headlining Riverbend just a few blocks away. The crowd was really into the game and you could tell the players fed off that. There was a vicious lick on the opening kickoff which set the tone for the night and those kids played like it was their last game ever - and for many it was.

As for picking the players, the StumponSports crew did most of the picking the first year of the game (2004), but quickly decided to let the coaches handle it from then on out. The head coaches are selected based on the performance of their teams in the regular seasons. We felt Coach Monroe and Coach Mariakis had earned it this year. They chose their assistants, then got input from other coaches in the area as to who should be invited to play on the team.

I don't know about Tennessee, but I know several kids from Georgia (some very good players) turned down the invitation for whatever reason and others were invited to take their spots on the roster. As for one school having more players than another, again, these rosters are hand-picked by the coaches with input from other area coaches. The decisions are theirs.

In the past we have had players from Grundy, Sequatchie, South Pittsburg, etc. This year we did not. I don't know whether some of those kids were asked and turned down the invite or they simply weren't nominated.

The player pool comes from a 12-county area in SE Tenn and a 12-county area in N. Ga., by the way. By my count, there are more schools in SE Tenn than N. Ga in those areas, for what it's worth.

This game was only just a dream 5 years ago. We had a crew of less than 10 people and thanks to the help and generosity of various businesses and supporters - and the football fans in this area - we were able to put the first game on and drew nearly 4,000 people. It showed us that this area loves high school football and that's why we keep putting this game on.

The way the game is put together has changed since then, but it's goal is still the same - to provide for these kids one final high school game. One final chance to strap on the pads and earn bragging rights for a lifetime. We may not always get the best players, but the ones we get are very, very good. What's more is that these players and coaches simply love to play and coach the game. Why else would they give up an entire week to practice in the heat? Why else would some of them drive an hour or more one way with gas at $3 a gallon to practice? Because they love it and we love being able to offer it to them.

We appreciate each and every one of you that came out to the game to support your kids and we hope that we see an even bigger crowd next year. For those of you that didn't make it to the game this year, you missed a great game and an even better atmosphere. This game doesn't give out trophies, it's all about pride and you can see that on every snap.

And as for that fumble...well, looking at it in slow-motion replay, the ball touched the ground, but not the players' knee or elbow, before it squirted free. In my objective opinion, it was a fumble and the right call was made.

But what's a football game without a little controversy?

QUOTE(drstats @ Jun 12 2007 - 12:34 PM) 826474207[/snapback]I just wanted to address a few things concerning the All-Star Game this past Saturday.

First of all, I apologize that the game was not more heavily promoted like it has been in recent years. I know Stump has been tied up nearly 24 hours a day as editor of the new magazine that's coming out and some of the guys that normally do some of the promoting have also been busy getting stories written for the magazine.

I don't know why the Chattanooga Times-Free Press didn't do more write ups on this game prior to it being played, but the TFP is its own boss. It chooses what to cover and what not to cover so we have no control over that. We do appreciate them covering it with a reporter and photographer on Saturday. The Chattanoogan.com was there as well, and several newspapers in north Georgia were represented.

Chattanooga has only the TFP and one or two more papers in outlying areas for coverage as far as newspapers go while north Ga. has papers in Catoosa County, Walker County, Dade County, Calhoun, Dalton, Cartersville, Cedartown and Rome, so it stands to reason Georgia would get far more of the press coverage.

Still, with very little publicity, we drew 2,673 fans to Finley on a warm night, the second-largest crowd in the game's history and did so while going head-to-head with Daughtry, who was headlining Riverbend just a few blocks away. The crowd was really into the game and you could tell the players fed off that. There was a vicious lick on the opening kickoff which set the tone for the night and those kids played like it was their last game ever - and for many it was.

As for picking the players, the StumponSports crew did most of the picking the first year of the game (2004), but quickly decided to let the coaches handle it from then on out. The head coaches are selected based on the performance of their teams in the regular seasons. We felt Coach Monroe and Coach Mariakis had earned it this year. They chose their assistants, then got input from other coaches in the area as to who should be invited to play on the team.

I don't know about Tennessee, but I know several kids from Georgia (some very good players) turned down the invitation for whatever reason and others were invited to take their spots on the roster. As for one school having more players than another, again, these rosters are hand-picked by the coaches with input from other area coaches. The decisions are theirs.

In the past we have had players from Grundy, Sequatchie, South Pittsburg, etc. This year we did not. I don't know whether some of those kids were asked and turned down the invite or they simply weren't nominated.

The player pool comes from a 12-county area in SE Tenn and a 12-county area in N. Ga., by the way. By my count, there are more schools in SE Tenn than N. Ga in those areas, for what it's worth.

This game was only just a dream 5 years ago. We had a crew of less than 10 people and thanks to the help and generosity of various businesses and supporters - and the football fans in this area - we were able to put the first game on and drew nearly 4,000 people. It showed us that this area loves high school football and that's why we keep putting this game on.

The way the game is put together has changed since then, but it's goal is still the same - to provide for these kids one final high school game. One final chance to strap on the pads and earn bragging rights for a lifetime. We may not always get the best players, but the ones we get are very, very good. What's more is that these players and coaches simply love to play and coach the game. Why else would they give up an entire week to practice in the heat? Why else would some of them drive an hour or more one way with gas at $3 a gallon to practice? Because they love it and we love being able to offer it to them.

We appreciate each and every one of you that came out to the game to support your kids and we hope that we see an even bigger crowd next year. For those of you that didn't make it to the game this year, you missed a great game and an even better atmosphere. This game doesn't give out trophies, it's all about pride and you can see that on every snap.

And as for that fumble...well, looking at it in slow-motion replay, the ball touched the ground, but not the players' knee or elbow, before it squirted free. In my objective opinion, it was a fumble and the right call was made.

But what's a football game without a little controversy?

I heard a DVD of the game was going to be sold. Is that true? If so, where could I purchase that?