Alcoa in 2007

Tornado89

QUOTE(ILuvsports @ Jun 5 2007 - 10:12 PM) 826471922[/snapback]alcoa will still be a very good team. the losses on the oline arent as big as some people make them. Jeff Hickman was the teams best player on the line last year and hes just a junior. Josh Kincannon and seth coulter were also starters last year. those are three guys who are pretty good and when you add in tyler robinson at TE then you have a pretty good line there. cobb, sommer, thompson, hodge are givens to make plays on offense for alcoa this season. they also have a young kid at tb named jaron toney who will be a soph, and he can be a special back. the robinson kid at TE will be special. hes got the best hands on the team and possibly had the best last year. he made an unreal catch and run for a td against mcminn this spring. Also, chase james who will be a junior is the backup qb and starting cb. he is either nephew or cousin of former maryville and current auburn rb carl stewart. he will also play wr this season and is pretty much cut in the mold of former alcoa wr kyrus lanxter and hes got the natural ability to be as good. without most of their players this spring alcoa showed that they will still be a good team with their scrimmage against mcminn. they have a few young freshman in rb/lb dj warren and fb/lb taharin tyson who will also help out this season. they may not be as dominant as the past but are still very much the team to beat in 2-a.

Thanks, very informative!!! Any defections as someone mentioned above? I haven't heard of any. Hodge is in good shape I guess?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that I agree with the Recovery Credit deal. If you have that many kids that are having to do recovery credit, then maybe you ought to check out if the recovery credit is or should be considered equal to the class that they have failed. Once a week doing several make up assignments as compared to an entire semester. Oh well maybe I am missing something here.

QUOTE(LEONARDSLOSERS @ Jun 6 2007 - 09:20 PM) 826472371[/snapback]I don't know that I agree with the Recovery Credit deal. If you have that many kids that are having to do recovery credit, then maybe you ought to check out if the recovery credit is or should be considered equal to the class that they have failed. Once a week doing several make up assignments as compared to an entire semester. Oh well maybe I am missing something here.

Credit recovery is a joke. Kids take advantage of it. They know they can do nothing all year long and make it all up in a couple of weeks. It does do one thing, no child left behind.

I think if a team is going to take that gold ball away from us then this would probably be the year to do it. We just lost like 27 seniors, and don't return a lot of starters, especially on defense. But this rising freshman class will be loaded. Lindsey and Warren's cousins are supposed to be just as good as they were, (I heard Taharin Tyson is 5'10, 215 lb., as a 9th grader), plus throw in a few other athletes I saw from the 8th grade team that won the county championship last year, and Alcoa might have that gold ball in their hands for a few years to come.

QUOTE(Tom142 @ Jun 6 2007 - 09:50 PM) 826472395[/snapback]I think if a team is going to take that gold ball away from us then this would probably be the year to do it. We just lost like 27 seniors, and don't return a lot of starters, especially on defense. But this rising freshman class will be loaded. Lindsey and Warren's cousins are supposed to be just as good as they were, (I heard Taharin Tyson is 5'10, 215 lb., as a 9th grader), plus throw in a few other athletes I saw from the 8th grade team that won the county championship last year, and Alcoa might have that gold ball in their hands for a few years to come.

Tom142, Jamey Henry's son is part of that rising 9th grade class also, unless he has moved. Jamey IMHO is one of the toughest to ever play on the Hill. I remember in 93' sitting in Ben Hill Griffith Stadium watching Jamey "kill" a Gator Kick Returner on a return. One of the hardest licks I have ever seen on a kick off.

QUOTE(Tornado89 @ Jun 7 2007 - 11:12 AM) 826472547[/snapback]Tom142, Jamey Henry's son is part of that rising 9th grade class also, unless he has moved. Jamey IMHO is one of the toughest to ever play on the Hill. I remember in 93' sitting in Ben Hill Griffith Stadium watching Jamey "kill" a Gator Kick Returner on a return. One of the hardest licks I have ever seen on a kick off.

If he's the same Henry that I saw playing running back, I believe, he was very talented as well. I also remember them having a tall, athletic-looking receiver, I think his last name was Jett?

QUOTE(LEONARDSLOSERS @ Jun 6 2007 - 11:20 PM) 826472371[/snapback]I don't know that I agree with the Recovery Credit deal. If you have that many kids that are having to do recovery credit, then maybe you ought to check out if the recovery credit is or should be considered equal to the class that they have failed. Once a week doing several make up assignments as compared to an entire semester. Oh well maybe I am missing something here.

Credit Recovery is 5 days a week for about 7 hours a day. Now I am not saying it is good to fail. However, credit recovery does take some time.

QUOTE(alcoaathlete1399 @ Jun 7 2007 - 07:01 PM) 826472679[/snapback]Credit Recovery is 5 days a week for about 7 hours a day. Now I am not saying it is good to fail. However, credit recovery does take some time.

alcoaathlete.

Unfortunately, these types of programs don't work if at the end of the day, the kid does not take responsibility for his/her own actions. Further, these "recovery" opportunities enable and allow for the kids to make education secondary. Do the ball players have "workout recovery" if they miss winter, summer conditioning. Maybe, maybe not, but I bet there are consequences for missing. It is nonsense. Period. A kid like Sykes or Lindsey who evryone knew was going to have the opportunity to play D1 at the end of their SO. yr should not have wound up in Coffeeville, KS. It's garbage. No way should kids like Fiegler or Marin White have been in situations that were for the most part the same. If kids like Lanxter, Sommer, and Sam Thompson can get it done without credit recovery programs, others can too. If the kid doesn't pass he doesn't play...in high school. That ends it. Is the kids contribution on the field more important to all concerned than his education? Credit Recovery says it is.

ruse?

QUOTE(wingman10 @ Jun 10 2007 - 06:01 AM) 826473474[/snapback]I think Alcoa will play Milan for the state chamiponship

That's a pretty good bet. I think if Alcoa gets there they won't play Goodpasture, because they lost a lot of starters. I don't think they'd play Huntingdon because they will miss Donald too much, and they weren't too great last year with him. I've heard that Milan returns a lot and they'll be state championship material this year, more than the other two teams who we've played the last few years.

I do think though; however, that the state champion will be whoever wins the Smith Co. vs. Alcoa game in Alcoa this year. Smith Co. returns a lot of starters, and I'm sure we'll be seeing them again in the semi's.