Region 4-5A Predictions

VOL DAWG

everybody always uses Hillsboro as their stick for measuring the wing t. There are lots of reasons Hillsboro has had success winning games that have been discussed in other forums ( most openly they are an open zone school playing in a terrible region)

So lets ask it another way

The number of 5a teams winning a state chamionship running the wing t = 0

The number 5a teams making the state chamionship game = 1 (hendersonville)

Does anybody know other than Hillsboro how many other wing t teams have won state chamionships? I think Clevland won a couple in the mid 90's

As I said I do understand why Oakland is running it but I also think teams are going to see how well Riverdale ran the ball and think "wow we should do that"

Once again I understand why some teams have to run it but I don't understand why teams that don't have to would choose that offense?

The wing-t is a productive offense and there will be more run this offense when teams have success running it in Tn. Why do you think so many teams run this offense in GA? The spread has grown in Tn over the past five years because of teams having success (EXP Franklin, Antioch, Ravenwood, Brentwood, Independence, Lavergne, Centennial, Blackman, Tullahoma) these are just some of the teams that have gone to the spread and overall team success has improved. Ravenwood and Brentwood have won state championships Tullahoma, Lavergne, and Antioch have won play-off games and Independence speaks for itself 7-3 record but didn't make the play-offs. I even hear that Dickson Co. has gone to the spread but i will have to see it to believe it.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everybody always uses Hillsboro as their stick for measuring the wing t. There are lots of reasons Hillsboro has had success winning games that have been discussed in other forums ( most openly they are an open zone school playing in a terrible region)

So lets ask it another way

The number of 5a teams winning a state chamionship running the wing t = 0

The number 5a teams making the state chamionship game = 1 (hendersonville)

Does anybody know other than Hillsboro how many other wing t teams have won state chamionships? I think Clevland won a couple in the mid 90's

As I said I do understand why Oakland is running it but I also think teams are going to see how well Riverdale ran the ball and think "wow we should do that"

Once again I understand why some teams have to run it but I don't understand why teams that don't have to would choose that offense?

Good points...............when Cleveland won it about 3 times in 2A; they could have also won 3A, but you probably will not agree on that. Funny thing, Smyrna had one of those Cleveland teams on the ropes at Smryna and let it get away. There wing-t was wicked BECAUSE they had great players (that will help whatever you run)

Lets start again..............for both you and that tormented Riverdaleman. RIVERDALE WAS AN OPTION TEAM LAST YEAR from a double-wing look. Should they have thrown more.......probably! but if they can get 500 yards rushing on you, they shall not throw over 5 times.

Other points............. Hillsboro's open zone................yep!! What about the Rankin zone!! (LOL)

Coach Rankin has done a great job and is an excellent coach, but his offense is quite simple. At Smith Co., he was was good to a point, until he ran into better athletes.......he got it handed to him. He became a very pragmatic person; coach better athletes!!

How do think his offense would look with average players? Look at Siegel & Franklin Co. thats what they run....both of them.

Last wing team to beat Riverdale - Mt Juliet (in fact, it was their last region regular season loss)...........other fact OC on the MJ team is presently coaching at Riverdale............Hemontoler!

In past 5 years, Smyrna has had a couple teams that could have won it all; along with about 6-8 other teams each year. Material-wise, I think they have had a couple of stronger squads. I think that they made themselves better last year because they ran the ball more and were more patient in their offense.

You make good points!

sos

Got some bad news for you Cat...................Riverdale did NOT run the Wing-T last season! They were actually a dbl-wing option team. Think Navy and Air Force, old Ga Southern(who by the way do not have quite as good material as the N Dames and Tennessee's of the football world) offense. Those service academies run it so they might have a chance at winning............if memory serves me correct AF scared the the "Big Orange" a tad.

Cat, congrats to Smyrna on winning the state..............a play was made when it needed to be made and the stars were aligned just right! Both times you played Riverdale, your offense did not crack 200 yds where Riverdale had over 500 yds rushing the first game and 300 offense the playoff game. Point is that their offense is actually pretty good and probably will be again this year...............*note QB's do not rush for a bunch of yds in a true wing-T offense.............Thomas had 167 first game and 150 the second game-------they be an option team. If you really want to classify what they do, I would say they are much closer to being an old-fashioned WISHBONE team, but definitely not Wing-T. Sorry!

for the record............Coffee Co. is a Wing-t team.

I know for some reason many of you are convinced that you cannot win with that old-timey offense, but there are some pretty good teams in Georgia and Florida that do very well in the offense.

Another news flash...........there is a college team south of us that is running an even older offense called the Single-Wing (shades of Gen Neyland and Johnny Majors) and this year it will probably even be stronger with that big ole Tailback they have ................Teebo. Urban Meyer is getting closer to it all the time..............that league he came from has the most innovative offenses in college.............Boise State (from his old league) beat a fair team with one of the oldest plays in football "The Statue of Liberty".

I actually think most college football is boring because most try to imitate the pro game...........if you seen one game you have pretty well seen them all..........I really like high school ball simply because of all the different and diverse flavors. I definitely respect your opinion, I just do not agree with it. What ever offense you run..............in a tough game; you better be able to run that thing off tackle.

sos

you need to tell adeylott because he keeps calling it the wing t

2nd game riverdale vs smyrna at riverdale the main stat besides the final score was this

7 points and none after the 1st qtr 3 qtrs without a score in a playoff game at riverdale - it is just my opinion but you will never make me believe any past riverdale team running a pro style riverdale offense would be shut out for 3 qtrs, as a matter of fact that is usually where riverdale pours it on.

once again everyone has their opinions and obviously I think Riverdale with the talent they have would be better running a more balanced offense.

you need to tell adeylott because he keeps calling it the wing t

2nd game riverdale vs smyrna at riverdale the main stat besides the final score was this

7 points and none after the 1st qtr 3 qtrs without a score in a playoff game at riverdale - it is just my opinion but you will never make me believe any past riverdale team running a pro style riverdale offense would be shut out for 3 qtrs, as a matter of fact that is usually where riverdale pours it on.

once again everyone has their opinions and obviously I think Riverdale with the talent they have would be better running a more balanced offense.

OK, you have convinced me...............he is running the wing-t! He has no chance of winning. All teams running this type offense are doomed to mediocrity. I surrender /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

OK, you have convinced me...............he is running the wing-t! He has no chance of winning. All teams running this type offense are doomed to mediocrity. I surrender /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

dont get me wrong we can still win 8-10 games a year with the wing T heck when i played we won 8-10 games a year and we didnt have the good coaches we have now(although we have an entire new staff right now and i dont know how good they are i do like the ones i know so far) i just dont think we can win STATE with a wing t...

also that MT juliet team we had them beat on an interception we returned for the TD but we was flagged for Pass interfrence (of course i think it was a buul crap call LOL)

I agree with a lot of what cat says its not a bad offense if you lack athletes and talents we have plenty of both we even have separate lineman for both sides of the ball (most of the time ) so we dont need to run misdirection we need to run right athem rather it be up the middle or off tackle we will have probably one of the best OL in a LONG time at RIVERDALE this year and we are not going to be using our strength which would be power again i REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG AND WE WIN STATE BUT if it isnt smyrna that stays discipline to beat us then the semi final team can.

ALSO Clevaland was in 4A when they won their state championships and the year smyrna had them on the ropes one player didnt stay at home on the what we called (when i played) the 26 counter play

I also agree that oakland will improve running a wing T offense because the one they have been running frankly hasnt been that good they have had some talent but for some reason they havent done much with it

I also dont know many RIVERDALE fans that was upset when the wing t went away but i will take your word for it

GO WARRIORS

dont get me wrong we can still win 8-10 games a year with the wing T heck when i played we won 8-10 games a year and we didnt have the good coaches we have now(although we have an entire new staff right now and i dont know how good they are i do like the ones i know so far) i just dont think we can win STATE with a wing t...

also that MT juliet team we had them beat on an interception we returned for the TD but we was flagged for Pass interfrence (of course i think it was a buul crap call LOL)

I agree with a lot of what cat says its not a bad offense if you lack athletes and talents we have plenty of both we even have separate lineman for both sides of the ball (most of the time ) so we dont need to run misdirection we need to run right athem rather it be up the middle or off tackle we will have probably one of the best OL in a LONG time at RIVERDALE this year and we are not going to be using our strength which would be power again i REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG AND WE WIN STATE BUT if it isnt smyrna that stays discipline to beat us then the semi final team can.

ALSO Clevaland was in 4A when they won their state championships and the year smyrna had them on the ropes one player didnt stay at home on the what we called (when i played) the 26 counter play

I also agree that oakland will improve running a wing T offense because the one they have been running frankly hasnt been that good they have had some talent but for some reason they havent done much with it /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> What does this mean?

I also dont know many RIVERDALE fans that was upset when the wing t went away but i will take your word for it

GO WARRIORS

I said "no mas", but I can see the dog chasing its tail on this one............................but here is what I have a problem with. You say that it is OK to run Wing-T it if you are not very good because it will give you a chance; but if you have good players you need to run something else..............is this what you are saying? Then you say that Oakland has had some talent, but has not done very good running the Pro-I stuff, so they should run Wing-T, but if they have the players why wouldn't the Rankin offense be the ticket. Could it be the talent really was not that good or if Rankin had had them they would have been 10-0. What is it?

When they had the older Thomas, they could have run the "hokie-pokie" and won big time......................actually Riverdale has "allowed" 2 lesser teams to win state titles the last 2 years. Rankin's offense had a bad night vs Oak Ridge......Aydellot's offense had a bad night vs Smyrna. If it happens during the regular season...it is a loss; if it happens during the playoffs........go home!

But again "NO MAS" on the wing-T; ya'll got me!! /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

sos

Did yall forget about DICKSON COUNTY winning the state in 88 in AAA. That was when there were only 3 classifications in the state and NO division b/t public and privates? That means they were playing at the top level ....much harder to have done then than today in my opinion. Well, DC ran the WINGT . I know because the team they beat that year in the champ game was Oakland!! What are the odds that TWO schools in the highest level running the WINGT both played Oakland in the Championship game?? Hendersonville and Dickson County. So YES....a team has won the state at the highest level running the WINGT, Cat.

Oh and Riverdaleman....remember that Dickson County team of 99 that put out your boys in round 1 running the WINGT? So that means that Both MJ and DC beat Rankin-zoned teams with the WINGT. DC has done it twice.Maybe you shouldn't knock it.What will be interesting to see is if Riverdale can continue to be a great defensive team without Coach Collins at the helm. Oh wait....forgot we said the same thing when Crawford left , did n't we? And Riverdale proved otherwise with Collins.

However, it has been stated before......having dang good athletes can make any offense or defense look exceptional instead of mediocre.

ALSO.....Portland won the state with the WINGT in 2000, and had 2 runner-up teams in 94 and 99 also running the WINGT. Believe they are 2A?

To win it all with a ground based, ball-control offense like the wing-T, veer, or wishbone you have to have the trifecta: ball-control offense, great defense, and great special teams. Riverdale had two of those three last year. If you look back at some of the great wishone teams like Alabama and Oklahoma they were exceptional in all three phases of the game. They also passed 5-10 times a game very effectively.

The wing-T is prone to fumbles and pefect 80-yard drives are hard turn out consistently. You need to establish field position with your defense and special teams so that the drives are 60, 50, or 40 yards...not 80 yards. Ball-control and field position are like peanut butter and jelly.

In he wing-T you never want to be forced to pass...you just want the other team to know it's coming and worry about when it's coming. The best execution I've seen in the last few years was when DC beat Riverdale in 2003 at Riverdale. They probably passed 10 times in that game but it was the pass that beat Riverdale.

In the playoffs your going to have to beat some teams that are playing great defense. Brentwood and Germantown both held Rankins offense to 7 points and Smyrna beat Riverdale last year by holding Aydelott's offense to 7 points. Riverdale held all those teams to 10 points or less....that's just the way it is in the playoffs...defense rules.

All I know is this is the third year since we brought the last gold ball home where it belongs. Time for a NEW one to put in the trophy case! I don't care what offense we run as long as it works!

With the line we have this year it has the capability/possibility to run over anything that gets in its way.

Besides I need a new hat with '5' titles on it! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I knew about Coach Mitchell leaving, so that was no surprise. I haven't heard about any others. It is very sad when coaches leave any program this close to season starting as it is difficult to replace them. I hope what you are saying doesn't turn out to be true as we are short-staffed as is. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Guess Smyrna is trying to get 30 on staff like Riverdale?

OH...HAPPY BIRTHDAY to oaklandpatriots!