Class 3A: Region 5 Favorites

CoachT

Who is the region favorite in 2007?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the region favorite in 2007?

Page should give everyone a run for their money this year...New head coach, Jack Daniels, runs a tight ship...also, new transfer from Independence High School, Bryan Wisdom (class of 09) one of the fastest open field runners in high school football. Look for him to be a tremendous addition to the 2007 team.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks!

I agree! Page will surprise alot of teams this year. The new coaching staff should turn this team around. Key players to watch that have tremendous speed at skilled positions; Jordan Dowd (08), Matt Blankenship (08), Blake Neel (09), Brian Wisdom (09), Taylor Lankford (09) and Aaron Mihacsi (10).

So, basically, last year was a fluke for Spring Hill. Is that the going trend? Where's the love Big Country (7th ????)

Spring Hill had a great year last year in coach Travis McKnight's return from service. The start of the year saw some heartbreaking defeats against Marshall Co., Columbia Central, & Giles Co. The Raiders breakthrough performance came in week seven when the team overcame a 2TD deficit at halftime to come back and beat Cheatham Co. at home. Following that win Spring Hill won a close game at Page. In the final week of the season with playoff seeding at stake Spring Hill overcame an early 14-0 deficit to beat Creek Wood on senior night. In the opening round of the playoffs the Raiders rolled past a solid Lexington squad ON THE ROAD!!!! The memorable ride came to an end the next week in the second round when SH lost to state runner up David Lipscomb.

Spring Hill last year was an offensive machine in the backfield. The trio of quarterback Magwan Smith & running backs Matt Dunn and Ned McCaster could compete with anyone out there. Spring Hill was solid but not spectacular on defense and the passing game was average. The offensive line was big and strong and the running backs all had what I call "some giddie up" to them. From that backfield quarterback Magwan Smith is all the remains. The duo of McCaster & Dunn are gone and replacing those two players will be anything but easy. Unless I am mistaken Spring Hill was old with plenty of experience in the trenches last fall as well.

The Raiders can prove me wrong just as they did last year and return to the playoffs. #'s 3-8 in this region are pretty much always going to be a tossup year in and year out. EVERYONE IN THE REGION has gotten to the playoffs starting in 2004 (Montgomery Central & Page), 2005 (Marshall Co. & Creek Wood), & 2006 (Giles Co. & Spring Hill) at different times with the exceptions being David Lipscomb & Cheatham Co. (2A in 2004). DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED JUST BECAUSE I PREDICTED A 7TH PLACE FINISH!!!!! I am anything but an "expert" when it comes to predicting the outcomes on games.

Good Luck to Spring Hill's Raiders (EXCEPT IN WEEK 7 OF COURSE)

Just to clarify a few points, Spring Hill was never down against Creekwood last year. Yes they did lose some big time seniors this year, but I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by the up and comers. Also I heard that hey have changed defenses through spring. This might help them to become more consistent against the region. Thanks for the support BC.

Spring Hill had a great year last year in coach Travis McKnight's return from service. The start of the year saw some heartbreaking defeats against Marshall Co., Columbia Central, & Giles Co. The Raiders breakthrough performance came in week seven when the team overcame a 2TD deficit at halftime to come back and beat Cheatham Co. at home. Following that win Spring Hill won a close game at Page. In the final week of the season with playoff seeding at stake Spring Hill overcame an early 14-0 deficit to beat Creek Wood on senior night. In the opening round of the playoffs the Raiders rolled past a solid Lexington squad ON THE ROAD!!!! The memorable ride came to an end the next week in the second round when SH lost to state runner up David Lipscomb.

Spring Hill last year was an offensive machine in the backfield. The trio of quarterback Magwan Smith & running backs Matt Dunn and Ned McCaster could compete with anyone out there. Spring Hill was solid but not spectacular on defense and the passing game was average. The offensive line was big and strong and the running backs all had what I call "some giddie up" to them. From that backfield quarterback Magwan Smith is all the remains. The duo of McCaster & Dunn are gone and replacing those two players will be anything but easy. Unless I am mistaken Spring Hill was old with plenty of experience in the trenches last fall as well.

The Raiders can prove me wrong just as they did last year and return to the playoffs. #'s 3-8 in this region are pretty much always going to be a tossup year in and year out. EVERYONE IN THE REGION has gotten to the playoffs starting in 2004 (Montgomery Central & Page), 2005 (Marshall Co. & Creek Wood), & 2006 (Giles Co. & Spring Hill) at different times with the exceptions being David Lipscomb & Cheatham Co. (2A in 2004). DO NOT BE DISCOURAGED JUST BECAUSE I PREDICTED A 7TH PLACE FINISH!!!!! I am anything but an "expert" when it comes to predicting the outcomes on games.

Good Luck to Spring Hill's Raiders (EXCEPT IN WEEK 7 OF COURSE)

So, basically, last year was a fluke for Spring Hill. Is that the going trend? Where's the love Big Country (7th ????)

You have to remember how many seniors we lost. We lost just about all of our line, and all but one of our backfield. We will have to rely alot more on speed this year.

Same old story...David Lipscomb takes the region.

It looks like everyone has decided that the top two teams in the region will end up like this:

1. DL (of course, until somebody beats them, I guess they'll stay numero uno)

2.Marshall County (Hightower, O'Neal, and Braden, why not?)

Here's the scoop on Giles County: TRUE with the loss of Dunnavant and Edgemon, an outsider would think that it would be impossible to fill those massive shoes, BUT, Josh Perez and Bo Wallace have had an awesome off-season, major work in the weightroom and a 7 on 7 helped Wallace improve on his strenght, footwork, vision, and accuracy. Perez, already a beast before the off season has packed on even more muscle and is running the ball like a man on a mission.

Defensively: GC is still in good shape after a few key losses. Dangerfield is coming back, along with Harney, Reynolds, Perez, and Turner, not to mention Birdsong and Timms who helped out alot on the D line last year. Dangerfield will remain a force to be reckoned with.

Offensively: Losses on the offensive line are being remedied with more speed and emphasis on better technique. Kyle Motts will anchor the line at the tackle position, with Gleason returning at a guard. New addition Andre McElroy and the returner Marquise Gardner head up the improved receiving core who've participated in in 7 on 7's with Hoover, Prattville, Athens, and Bob Jones out of Alabama, as well as LaVergne, Brentwood Academy, Lincoln County, and Oakland in the 4 and 5A classifications of TN.

Don't count Giles County out of the hunt just yet, pre season polls are just that, polls. Good luck to all region 5 3A teams.